Here, hold my beer Coleraine

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

We are a fûcking joke.
Ulster Rugby is investigating alleged inappropriate comments made by a former Ulster president at a club dinner.
In a statement to BBC News NI, Graffin Parke apologised "unreservedly" for any offence he had caused.
His apology refers to a speech he gave at Cooke Rugby Club's annual dinner on Saturday, 27 October.
BBC News NI understands that some of his remarks were regarded as sexist by some members.
Mr Parke was president of the Irish Rugby Football Union's (IRFU) Ulster branch throughout the 2017/18 season.
It is a largely ceremonial and honorary role, but it has an important status - he was included, for example, in the official Ulster team photo at the start of the 2017 season and attended Ulster games in his capacity as president.
As a past president, Mr Parke was invited to be a guest speaker at the Cooke dinner, although he is not a member of the club.
Cooke RFC, based in south Belfast, has both men's and women's teams.
'Disappointment'
However, the comments in his speech led some members of the club to complain to its committee.
The committee took the complaints seriously and held an emergency meeting on Monday to discuss the matter.
In statement to BBC News NI, Cooke RFC said the committee unanimously expressed "disappointment and disapproval of the content of an address by a guest speaker at its annual dinner".
It added: "We have received an apology from the individual concerned and will be writing to him to emphasise that the values of the IRFU equality policy must always be upheld and clearly demonstrated.
"Cooke RFC is proud to be regarded as a welcoming and inclusive sports club and works hard to maintain this long-established reputation."
However, Ulster Rugby has also launched an investigation into the matter.
"The Ulster branch of the IRFU has been made aware of alleged inappropriate comments made by one of its members at a club dinner on Saturday," it said in a statement.
"We take these allegations extremely seriously and an examination of the matter is now underway to ensure that our core values of respect, inclusivity and integrity are observed by all."
'Unreserved apology'
BBC News NI contacted Mr Parke, who also provided a statement, in which he apologised "unreservedly for any offence caused by a speech delivered at a recent dinner in Cooke Rugby Club".
"I fully accept that some of the content, delivered as jokes and stories, may have been considered inappropriate by some who attended," he said.
"The comments I made are not in any way a true reflection of my attitudes or beliefs."
The BBC understands that a panel will be convened by Ulster rugby to investigate the events.
That panel will have the authority to recommend any subsequent action.
LadyP
Novice

Re: Here, hold my beer Coleraine

Post by LadyP »

:roll:

What the actual feck is going on at HQ. Am I correct that this is the current Presidents Club as well. Where is the direction being given to the clubs.
"This doesn't look good Parker"
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

This behaviour is beyond appalling and needs to be stamped out.

The BBC are piping up about the Ulster branch at every opportunity.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

kingofthehill wrote:This behaviour is beyond appalling and needs to be stamped out.

The BBC are piping up about the Ulster branch at every opportunity.
They deserve it.
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

If I had a pound for every inappropriate joke I heard at a rugby dinner I would be a rich man.
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Jetstream wrote:If I had a pound for every inappropriate joke I heard at a rugby dinner I would be a rich man.

That’s not the point.
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

I spoke to a feminist earlier today

My court case is next Friday at Antrim Magistrates Court
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

Gerald the Mole wrote:
Jetstream wrote:If I had a pound for every inappropriate joke I heard at a rugby dinner I would be a rich man.

That’s not the point.
Well what is the point?Has anyone any idea what he said? Let's not judge him before establishing the facts.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Jokeshop
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

There's a new drug for lesbians on the market to cure depression, it's called Trycoxagain.
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Everyone says the world would be better off if it was run by women. Sure, maybe there wouldn't be violence and territorial conquests fueled by male testosterone. But instead, we'd have a bunch of jealous countries that aren't talking to each other.
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

What's six inches long, two inches wide, and drives women wild? Money.
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

A man saw a lady with big breasts. He asked, "Excuse me, can I bite your breasts for $1000?" She agrees, so they go to a secluded corner. She opens her blouse and the man puts his face in her breasts for 10 minutes." Eventually the lady asks, "Aren't you gonna bite them?" He replies, "No, it's too expensive."
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Take your pick
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

Oops. Bad choice of material.