Pro 14 2019/20

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Pro 14 2019/20

Post by big mervyn »

big mervyn wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:33 am
Neill_M wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:34 pm Only the Welsh would organise a game v the Barbarians which clashes with a full round of Pro 14 game.

Ulster facing Scarlets that weekend.
The Barbarians are about as interesting as 7s.
The only thing worse is watching geriatic retired players playing a game.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

:stir: :duh: The only thing worse is people replying to their own posts!
:stir: :stir:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Bobbievee wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:30 am :stir: :duh: The only thing worse is people replying to their own posts!
:stir: :stir:
Easy to hit reply instead of edit.
Stubby fingers, bad eyesight and a small device (ooh err missus :shock: !)
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Others may already have seen this.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50453217
Any idea what it might mean for Ulster?
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

solidarity wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:32 pm Others may already have seen this.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50453217
Any idea what it might mean for Ulster?
Was just wondering about this myself and think on balance it's good. In principle I'm generally I'm against the idea of a commercial entity owning the rights to our league, rather than the unions, however I feel that the biggest threat to the Irish provinces (and other participants in the Pro14) is not being able to compete commercially with the English and French leagues.

When Sexton left a few years ago for Racing a few years ago I was worried that it might be a sign that the levy was breaking; it didn't end up happening then, but still might. The provinces are propped up financially by the international team which probably doesn't have much room for growth commercially so every time the Premiership or Top14 improve their commercial income it puts us at a greater and greater disadvantage. The fact that the same private company that have a controlling stake in Premiership rugby now also have a stake in the Pro14 creates a strange incentive for them not to see our league devalued. In the mid to long term I also think it makes a British and Irish league more likely, either with two divisions of twelve, or some sort of conference model which in my opinion is the only way of the provinces guaranteeing they'll always be at the top table commercially.

Possibly worth noting that CVC paid the Premiership £200 million for an equivalent stake, so it seems that the market value of the Pro14 is 40% less than that.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Scarlets with 12 players named in the Welsh 35 strong squad for their game v Barbarians - same weekend as Ulster v Scarlets.

Ryan Elias, Ken Owens, Rob Evans, Wyn Jones, Samson Lee, Jake Ball, Aaron Shingler, Gareth Davies, Hadleigh Parkes, Steff Evans, Johnny McNicholl and Leigh Halfpenny.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Neill_M wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:12 pm Scarlets with 12 players named in the Welsh 35 strong squad for their game v Barbarians - same weekend as Ulster v Scarlets.

Ryan Elias, Ken Owens, Rob Evans, Wyn Jones, Samson Lee, Jake Ball, Aaron Shingler, Gareth Davies, Hadleigh Parkes, Steff Evans, Johnny McNicholl and Leigh Halfpenny.
They won't even get a cap for it.
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

big mervyn wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:59 pm
Neill_M wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:12 pm Scarlets with 12 players named in the Welsh 35 strong squad for their game v Barbarians - same weekend as Ulster v Scarlets.

looks like the Welsh don't really care about the Pro 14. Why this nothing game. It can't be a money spinner. In a pre-world cup period, maybe, but why now? I just don't get it.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

solidarity wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:42 pm

looks like the Welsh don't really care about the Pro 14. Why this nothing game. It can't be a money spinner. In a pre-world cup period, maybe, but why now? I just don't get it.
To give new coach Wayne Pivac a warm up game pre 6N, could have been played in spare week between R6 of Europe and start of 6N.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Rennie deffo got the Australia job with Danny Wilson to come in at Glasgow.

Are Glasgow going to do a Scarlets this year......?
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Neill_M wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:34 pm
solidarity wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:42 pm

To give new coach Wayne Pivac a warm up game pre 6N, could have been played in spare week between R6 of Europe and start of 6N.
Fair enough, Neill, the reason does make some sense. The timing still doesn't, especially if he has been involved with the Wales set-up for over a year (I think).
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

I see from BBC Teletext that Alan Clarke late of this parish has left his post of Head Coach at the Ospreys. The post is not clear whether he jumped or he was pushed
volvo
Novice

Post by volvo »

Definitely pushed owing to their results this season even though they are plagued with long term injuries and losing players to world cup duty.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

After all the drama with the side nearly being folded last year I'd suspect the job is a bit of a poisoned chalice at the minute. It would have been good for the league if they'd managed to make their mark in Europe and really establish themselves back when they had their team of 'Galacticos' a few years back. Much as it was fun seeing them lose at the time, the current state of the welsh regions and the fact we often look at a home game against a welsh region and thing 'should be aiming for five points' isn't good for the long term viability of the Pro14.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Yet they remain darned good on the international scene.