Mexico 2019/20

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Columbo
Squire

Mexico 2019/20

Post by Columbo »

Very quiet year on the transfer front - just the one player incoming for next year, Cian Kelleher, plus a few academy promotions:

Props (7): Healy - Dooley - Byrne - Furlong - Bent - Porter - Abdaladze
Hookers (3): Cronin - Tracey - Byrne - Kelleher
Second Row (4): Toner - Fardy - Ryan - Molony
Back Row (9): Ruddock - Murphy - Leavy - van der Flier - Connors - Penny - Conan - Deegan - Doris
Scrum-half (3): McGrath - Gibson-Park - O'Sullivan
Out-half (3): Sexton - Byrne - Frawley
Centre (6): Henshaw - Ringrose - O'Loughlin - Tomane - C O'Brien - J O'Brien
Back three (9): Lowe - Larmour - McFadden - D Kearney - Byrne - Daly - Keenan - Kelleher - R Kearney

Strong squad as usual, ridiculous slate of back rows (as usual). A couple of interesting youngsters, looking forward to seeing more of Frawley and C and J O'Brien (who they actually seemed to be shaping up for 15 last season).

On the down side, I see there's a rumour that Leavy is being offered an insurance payout to take him out of his contract :( I hope not (and in fairness there have been a fair few of these rumours which turned out to be nonsense), so fingers crossed
..one more thing
Cormac
Initiate

Re: Mexico 2019/20

Post by Cormac »

45-man senior squad is three more than they finished the season with, although the world cup means that Leinster are going to be short of a decent wedge of that squad.

Not sure why Kelleher has been re-signed. Not sure he's much of an improvement on what's there and it's all a much of a muchness behind the first-choice back 3.

A bit of the ridiculous depth has been lost since the start of the 2017/18 season but with Gibson-Park now counting as a "European" player they'll have fewer selection issues. A strong first choice 23 but there's a few who'll need to graduate from promising Pro14 player into decent European-standard when injuries hit.

Also a little short at lock, especially considering how many games Toner and Ryan will miss on international duty. They must be expecting Jack Dunne and Ryan Baird to step up from the Academy to fill the gaps.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

I heard that Leavy turned down the insurance pay out as he wants to have a shot at returning to rugby.
A long shot, I'd say. Better off getting on with his life than taking risks with his health. Just turning 25.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Leinster had the foresight and put in a lot of work giving fringe players game time in the 2nd half of last season. I would assume one of the reasons for that would be to have these guys ready for when they lose so many bodies to the world cup.

Appreciate they have been giving young guys opportunities over the past couple of seasons but it certainly felt ramped up this year.

We have done it also and have witnessed the benefits. Appears you need to be 25/26 before being given a shot at Munster.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18