Nigel Owens apologises to Saracens?

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Nigel Owens apologises to Saracens?

Post by for dog and ulcer »

Nigel Owens gave a well deserved red card to Skelton. He referred to the decision as coming from the TMO and said "I'm sorry but.". Surely this is an indication that he needs to retire. I have never heard a referee apologise for a card before, especially for foul play. In general he seemed about as undecided as Jeremy Corbyn during that game. And several of the TMO Ian Davies's calls were at best marginal.

At present there is a crisis in rugby refereeing with only Nigel Owens generating any confidence in officials. However, apologising to Saracens seems bizarre to me.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Nigel Owens apologises to Saracens?

Post by Jackie Brown »

I agree it was a nasty shoulder to the head, cynical at best.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

I've heard refs drop the sorry line on red cards before. Seems to be when they are dishing out reds according to the letter of the law rather than it being a red they would dish out on their own merit. The refs job is to uphold the laws of the game and that was a red no matter which way it was looked at. Nigel needed to just wave the card.
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

He actually said "I'm very sorry but that's a red card." Not defensible from a referee.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I disagree entirely and it’s all part of the healthy dialogue that Nigel is able to maintain with players.

I’ve said similar when calling bowlers for a wide.

Much better than running up to someone and brandishing a red like some of the jumped up twerps you get reffing the footy.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:24 pm I disagree entirely and it’s all part of the healthy dialogue that Nigel is able to maintain with players.

I’ve said similar when calling bowlers for a wide.

Much better than running up to someone and brandishing a red like some of the jumped up twerps you get reffing the footy.
I’d agree. At the end if the day he is the one who has to make the final decision and he did it. I wouldn’t read too much into the actual words. Besides, people often say “I am sorry but” when they may not actually be that genuinely sorry !,
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I'm with Justin on this. When I refereed, I'd say the same thing to any lad I sent off. It's not an apology for doing the right thing or for giving foul play its just deserts. It's, if I can use the term, 'pastoral'. I'd say something like, 'Sorry lad, but it's your own fault,' or 'Sorry lad but you deserve this.'
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

These are professional rugby players being sanctioned for thuggery. Rather different from the examples cited? And if it was Farrell on Cooney would you feel the same? Similar to referees giving lectures on binding to professional props as if their failures were based on ignorance. Unnecessary nonsense.
Hapax Legomenon
Novice

Post by Hapax Legomenon »

So much outrage posted about a figure of speech. :roll:
There can be only one
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Outrage? I see no outrage. Simple question.
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

I think Nigel is just being mannerly.
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Jetstream wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:00 pm I think Nigel is just being mannerly.
I agree. The problem is that he wasn't equally mannerly when sending a Racing 92 player to the bin nor has he been throughout his career. My question is why did he apologise to a Saracens player being redcarded for thuggery and is this not an error of judgement? At the very least he is undermining the TMO.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Anywhere I can see this incident? Probably ought to see what I'm talking about before talking any more! :roll:
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

BT Sport Twitter.

rugbydump.com/news/watch-skelton-shown-red-for-poor-tackle-in-huge-saracens-game/

"rugbydump Skelton" typed into Google will suffice
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a6E9wwV7OuQ

About 4 minutes in.

I have absolutely no problem with what Owens says to him. He obviously knows Skelton hence why he probably said what he did, but the decision is clear and the “apology” is more of a figure of speech. He does say “you need to learn to tackle better than that” so the message is pretty unambiguous.