Josh Lewsey Retires!

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Josh Lewsey Retires!

Post by fuzzylogic »

Lewsey to swap rugby for Everest
April 5, 2009

England World Cup-winning back Josh Lewsey will retire from all rugby at the end of the season in order to scale Mount Everest, a long standing personal ambition.

The Wasps star, who won 55 caps for England and three for the British and Irish Lions in 2005, retired from international rugby in December 2008 and has now decided to hang up his boots for good. He will attempt to scale Everest next year alongside Major Keith Reesby, a fried from his years in the British Army.

Lewsey's announcement comes as Wasps prepare for their final three games of the season, although Lewsey still has "a burning desire" to be included in the squad for the upcoming Lions tour to South Africa.

An always driven presence on the rugby field, Lewsey will now attack Everest after training on mountains in Scotland before graduating to a 7,000 metre peak in the Himalayas.

"It is the personal challenge and the stimulus of doing something new," he told The Times of his next venture. "I am 32 and I suppose I could have gone on for a few more years. But Vanessa is finishing her doctorate, you have to think about real life and responsibilities, the possibility of a family."

Lewsey will leave Wasps at one of their lowest ebbs in the professional era, with Guinness Premiership play-off qualification an impossibility and their Heineken Cup ambition long since laid to rest. Since joining Wasps Lewsey has won four Premiership titles, two English cups, the European Challenge Cup and two Heineken Cups, and believes that leaving the squad on a low is far more difficult than leaving on a high.

"It is far, far more difficult to leave the lads after a disappointing season. One day, I may be back. I can count the number of great coaches I worked with on the fingers of one hand."
Mary had a little lamb . . .