Escape route from Croker?

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Escape route from Croker?

Post by againstthehead »

Heading down to the S Aftrica game on Saturday but need to be back in Belfast for 7.45. Can anyone suggest a good place to park the motor so that I can escape from Dublin fairly sharpish? I know from past experience the traffic can be hectic on match day.
Thanks in advance!
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Re: Escape route from Croker?

Post by ColinM »

Somewhere midway between the end of the motorway and Croke is you best bet, find a residential street near the Regency Hotel. If you get out of Croke sharpish you'll walk up there and beat the traffic onto the motorway. Go much closer to Croker and you might get stuck.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

local knowledge:

Take the Port Tunnel and turn off to the right just before you get to the Point and the north quays. Head along Sherriff Street and park in the cul de sac nearest but before the railway bridge and walk up. The toll is only €3 for using the tunnel at the weekend. Five minutes walk to the ground and a really quick get away. :salut:
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

But if u do that make sure u have 4 spare tyres in your boot for when u return to yer nothern reg car - and thats assuming yer car will still be there which is a bit of an assumption. I'd go for the relative safety of the free car park at Clontarf Dart station meself.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
LETS_GO_ULSTER
Novice

Post by LETS_GO_ULSTER »

The car park at Clontarf is sadly no longer free, plus traffic can be fairly mental around there. I'd say the safest bet is parking at Malahide and getting the Dart in and out.
Really?
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

LETS_GO_ULSTER wrote:The car park at Clontarf is sadly no longer free, plus traffic can be fairly mental around there. I'd say the safest bet is parking at Malahide and getting the Dart in and out.
you'd need to be at Malahide about 7.00am for a space in their wee car park.

My norn reg car's been OK overnight manys a time at my friends up near the regency
LETS_GO_ULSTER
Novice

Post by LETS_GO_ULSTER »

Yeah the Dart car park is tiny, but there are plenty of other places to park in Malahide.
Really?
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

When at Croke Park, I have parked at Malahide, Clontarf, Connolly and the Lansdowne area using each more than once.

Clontarf Station car park is fairly small and if you get there and there is no space you have to have a plan B. I once ‘tipped’ the car park attendant in the leisure centre car park but he may not be working this weekend. :wink: It can also be very slow from Clontarf Station to the Motorway.

To return to Malahide requires going to Clontarf or Connolly and then on to Malahide. Again Malahide to the Motorway can be slow.

I believe I would favour Dublin4’s tunnel route for the fast access to the Motorway for the return journey. I did get caught out one Autumn when there was some early kiddy thingy at the Point and the East Link journey from Lansdowne was as close to being a car park as you can get. I eventually gave up and came through the City Centre on that occasion.

Perhaps D4 could tell us if Connolly Station car park could be used but only if fast access to the tunnel is possible? Coming out onto Amiens Street soon after a game is nigh impossible due to pedestrians and you are also not able to turn right.

Had I a friend’s place near the Regency, I believe that would be OK – otherwise I would not take the chance of being able to locate a legal (and considerate) parking place.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

:scratch: Why do people insist on building stadia in urban areas with no flamin' parking? :roll:
sorry, I digress off topic.
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

ColinM wrote:Somewhere midway between the end of the motorway and Croke is you best bet, find a residential street near the Regency Hotel. If you get out of Croke sharpish you'll walk up there and beat the traffic onto the motorway. Go much closer to Croker and you might get stuck.
Regency Hotel will do you nicely - where we are staying.
When you leave just go into the lobby and on the right hand side is the ticket machine.
Tickets are issued at the barrier as you go in.
theCloudSpotter
Initiate

Post by theCloudSpotter »

Stay away from Malahide people. I don't like queuing! I nearly missed the DART due to the numbers going to the Oz game.:duck: Anyone else jump the barriers that day?
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

I really think you should follow my suggestion of using the tunnel and heading right for Croker.
I have left the salubrious surroundings of the south side to park off Sherriff Street in my large tank for some years and apart from being offered a needle exchange it's fine. ( I jest!) Also these days it is hard to steal a car without the keys - that's just the way the technology has gone.

The tunnel is an amazingly underutilised resource and at €3 is a no brainer.

If all else fails then get the Dart in from Howth junction or Malahide.

Now how do I phrase my exemption clause from all liabilities.....

ROG gone and a proper hungry outhalf to look forward to!
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Dublin4 is rite - ample parking space at base of the flats - wikipedia Sheriff Street Dublin - but can i suggest folks that u dont park yer Northern Reg vehicles beside the Brits Out sign on the wall.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

What Brits Out signage? Park in the nice social housing they built in the 80s, not in the flat complexes.

You lot are almost as nervy as my D4 friends who only cross the river to travel to the airport. They don't eat their young on the northside, well hardly ever.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Theres some kind of Monastry/Mance/Nun house, whatever you call it on the N1 as you go into Dublin on the North Side of the stadium. It is literally a stones throw away from the stadium, its on one side of the Jones Road? and the stadium is on the other, its a one way in system and one way on, on the way out take a left out of the carpark and go straigh ahead which takes you directly to the tunnel, we left about 25mins after the final whistle last weekend and it only took 5/10mins to get to from carpark to tunnel!
Mary had a little lamb . . .