England team

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: England team

Post by Shan »

Ardglass2 wrote:
He does stand too deep for the modern game but if the players around you are playing like donkeys its difficult to impress
Which when you turn it around can also say it is easy to impress when surrounded by world class players.I always felt Wilko got too much praise up to and including RWC 2003.FFS people were calling it Wilko and the rest won it.The England pack in 2003 were fantastic with not just great players but great leaders in abundance.Class 9 in Dawson too.Any 10 not able to look brilliant behind that pack would need to be shot.

I always wondered why Wilko never played for a top club team.It could be that he loves Newcastle but it's more likely because of his one dimensional play.Take away the best pack in years and you are left with a less than brilliant player with brilliant goalkicking ability.

Not that I am saying I don't rate him at all.I think he was very good in a 10 man game and he could tackle effectively.He retains some of that tackling and goal kicking ability but he no longer has a great pack in front of him so he will be exposed I believe.Strange to see the backline England have picked, yet have picked an 8 and 10 for a non open flowing game.Of course he and Flutey may switch around a bit during offensive plays.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

Wilkinson was always overrated like RoG he has a good boot but he is a far far better defender than RoG the play maker in 2003 was Greenwood who was a superb timer of a pass I'm not convinced that Flutey has that same ability

but the game will be won not by the backs but the backrow which ever one gets on top on the day
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
Glynncommando
Warrior Assassin

Post by Glynncommando »

Revised Wales team to play England at Twickenham on Saturday (1700GMT)

(15-1)

Lee Byrne; Tom James, James Hook, Jamie Roberts, Shane Williams; Stephen Jones, Gareth Cooper; Ryan Jones, Martyn Williams, Andy Powell; Luke Charteris, Alun-Wyn Jones; Adam Jones, Gareth Williams, Paul James

Replacements: Huw Bennett, Rhys Gill, Bradley Davies, Jonathan Thomas, Richard Rees, Andrew Bishop, Leigh Halfpenny

Gethin Jenkins is a big loss for the Welsh, Matt Rees too. Quite surprised at Tom James getting nod ahead of Halfpenny. Byrne's successful appeal is a masssive boost for them. Think this could be a cracker!
GC
"Out of Ulster have I come. Great hatred, little room - maimed me from the start. I carry from my mother's womb....a fanatic heart"
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

Glynncommando wrote:Quite surprised at Tom James getting nod ahead of Halfpenny.
Plans to deal with Monye maybe? Big back 3 England have.

Agree big loss in the front row for the West English.
English seem to be backing Flutey as the great white hope.
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Flutey out; Flood in.

Advantage Wales
Gary Owen
Novice

Post by Gary Owen »

Flood isn't an International 12- might take some pressure off Wilkinson though- right footed kicker etc

Jamie Roberts will be smiling anyway
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Big blow for the English. He is there only real playmaker, even if he's not 'English'.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

Gary Owen wrote:Flood isn't an International 12- might take some pressure off Wilkinson though- right footed kicker etc

True but with that Welsh front 5 how much quality ball will he see.

Given the changes in the Welsh front row and the failure to pick Gough I am changing my mind - a narrow English win
RedKC
Novice

Post by RedKC »

Ardglass2 wrote:
Gary Owen wrote:Flood isn't an International 12- might take some pressure off Wilkinson though- right footed kicker etc

True but with that Welsh front 5 how much quality ball will he see.

Given the changes in the Welsh front row and the failure to pick Gough I am changing my mind - a narrow English win
I think the welsh can help their front 5 hold their own if they play the quick running rugby that wales can turn on from time to time. If they get sucked into the narrow boring english game they will get destroyed.
semi mental
Squire

Post by semi mental »

flutey is a massive blow for england. without him i cant see england scoring more than one try, if that.
'finger puppet' is only ok as a noun.