Brennan Tours

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Satans little helper
Novice

Re: Brennan Tours

Post by Satans little helper »

dirty scumbag mommafecker is being anti-ulster again, if it's not with his fists its with his dirty feckin unwashed gob
errrrr ur all off topic

this thread is about his rugby tours, not about him punching non-players in the face or about him telling porkies or about his book.

perhaps u want to take ur gripes to another thread and leave this one to all things trevor-brennan-tour-operator-extraordinaire?
LOL - getting a bit hot under the cromer Welder ?...... me too.
A self loving nazi parades a thug and criminal as a paragon of Irish virtue and voice of the people while at the same time trying to split the team & support - wouldn't find it anywhere else.
Let the two of them feck off back to the sidelines of celebrity/obscurity - coogan to the pish poor hinterlands of flag waving jingoist bigots re churning the same old ballix and sh1t for brains back to doing door (except he wouldn't be allowed to do that as he has a criminal record !) and selling bus tours and sh1t beer.
Flying the flag in Munster !
Now flying the flag in Basingstoke !!
Possibly flying the flag in Azerbaijan soon !!!
Glynncommando
Warrior Assassin

Post by Glynncommando »

Satans little helper wrote:
dirty scumbag mommafecker is being anti-ulster again, if it's not with his fists its with his dirty feckin unwashed gob
errrrr ur all off topic

this thread is about his rugby tours, not about him punching non-players in the face or about him telling porkies or about his book.

perhaps u want to take ur gripes to another thread and leave this one to all things trevor-brennan-tour-operator-extraordinaire?
A self loving nazi parades a thug and criminal as a paragon of Irish virtue and voice of the people while at the same time trying to split the team & support - wouldn't find it anywhere else.
Let the two of them feck off back to the sidelines of celebrity/obscurity - coogan to the pish poor hinterlands of flag waving jingoist bigots re churning the same old ballix and sh1t for brains back to doing door (except he wouldn't be allowed to do that as he has a criminal record !) and selling bus tours and sh1t beer.
Look forward to THMG's earnest defence of the clearly misunderstood and massively victimised Saint Trevor with bated breath...
GC
"Out of Ulster have I come. Great hatred, little room - maimed me from the start. I carry from my mother's womb....a fanatic heart"
Satans little helper
Novice

Posted by Setanta13
Take a look at the picture you put up with this rubbish article 3 out of 9 are Ulstermen - not that it seems to matter if anyone from the north feels insulted or overlooked, just along as some has been flag waver gets to stir up the half-wits who know nothing about rugby in Ireland. Go for the lowest common denominator every time - why not just slip into a nice little black shirt and complete the outfit. |Here's an idea, feck off and leave our game alone we've managed very well without your input for quite some time. coogan not getting the limelight anymore ? awww poor wee man. Take a look at the make up of Irish teams from the 40s and then make a statement on which song should be sung - and by the by I certainly don't need any song to get ready for an English game., and the songs we used to sing might not go down so easily with all you pc butt-monkeys. Leave the rugby to the players it's a hard enough game without limelight seekers rtying to muscle in.
Report abusePosted by irishrugby on Feb 24, 2010, 06:51 AM EST
ok first off dont get me started on that scumbag Brennan second off are you having a laugh !?!?!? if god save the queen had not been sung at croke park it would have been a rather large slap at the peace process the reason the soldiers song is not sung at away matches ??? it is not the irfu's anthem!! ok so for a united irish rugby team which it is...... the words Our Country's call From the four proud provinces of Ireland Ireland, Ireland Together standing tall Shoulder to shoulder We'll answer Ireland's call From the mighty Glens of Antrim From the rugged hills of Galway From the walls of Limerick And Dublin Bay From the four proud provinces of Ireland seem to fit in exceptionally well when you have half a grain of sense in your head!!! an then look at the united song of the soilders song...... It was used as marching song by the Irish Volunteers and was sung by rebels in the General Post Office (GPO) during the Easter Rising of 1916 Derrylass627 its not the Irish national anthem its the national anthem of the republic of ireland!!!!
Report abusePosted by kickstar on Feb 23, 2010, 10:42 AM EST
If you put on an Irish jersey then you are part of the Irish Team And as such should respect that fact and the Nations Anthem. It was a totally PC response which is so prevalent in our society today that resulted in the changing from 'Amhran na bhFiann' to Ireland's Call, And the sooner it is changed back to 'Amhran na bhFiann' again the better.And whoever it was that changed it should be sentenced to about 6 months hard labour in the Joy..
Quotes taken from 'Irish Central' I wish I hadn't legitimised them by replying to it.
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

Satans little helper wrote:
errrrr ur all off topic

Godwin's Law strikes again!
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

ah...are you trying to put a nail in this topic's coffin? if so you may find this to be a Quirk's Exception my good man...
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
TMHG
Initiate

Post by TMHG »

Glynncommando wrote: Look forward to THMG's earnest defence of the clearly misunderstood and massively victimised Saint Trevor with bated breath...
GC
I don't see anything to defend to be honest. Brennan was wrong to do what he did and he is paying for it. You seem to have a problem with me pointing out that he has expressed regret. I'm sure there are some people who read this message board are pleased to hear that he has expressed regret and want to move on from what happened.

Here is the full article from Tim Pat Coogan (where you will see that he cites Brennan because he lives and played rugby in France and understands what La Marseillaise means to French people and not some anti-Ulster agenda.
It's high time we silenced Ireland's Bawl once and for all
Bring back Amhran na bhFiann and put passion back into the pre-match anthem, writes Tim Pat Coogan

WHATEVER finally emerges from the post-mortems into the death of our hopes for another rugby Grand Slam in Paris recently, one piece of evidence is already glaringly obvious, and damning -- it's time to blow the full-time whistle on Ireland's Call.

I watched all three of the Six Nations matches last weekend and like everyone else who saw the games was struck by the fervour and intensity with which five of the six teams involved gave vent to the passion, pride and intensity of feeling for their nation in the way they sang their national anthems.

The sixth team, Ireland, was the exception. Half of the players did not appear to be singing at all and the rest mouthed the sombre Ireland's Call without any apparent conviction or intensity. Do they even know the words I wondered? Do they care? To paraphrase the song, shoulder to shoulder they may have been but they quite literally were not answering Ireland's Call.

But by God there was no question as to whether the French team knew the words of La Marseillaise and were answering to its spirit. Hands on hearts they belted out their national anthem with a fervour and commitment that was echoed by every French supporter at the ground and no doubt by millions more watching on TV.

Could anyone seriously argue, moments later, when the game kicked off, that the French did not have an immeasurable psychological advantage over the Irish? This was attested to by the legendary Irish international, Trevor Brennan, who spoke eloquently in favour of the restoration of Amhran na bhFiann to Derek Mooney on RTE Radio 1 last week.

Trevor, is a man who can speak with some authority about what La Marseillaise means to the French and to those who play against them.

He is an iconic figure in Toulouse, where he now lives, so well-regarded by the club and its followers that though he was not the captain, in 2003 he was given the honour of leading the team out at Lansdowne Road, for their Heineken Club final against Perpignan. Brennan pointed out that La Marseillaise is a martial song, a sort of choral haka, with roots in the French Revolution, and that Ireland needs to reply to it with a sense of togetherness and pride.

There are two problems intertwined in the refusal to play our national anthem abroad.

One is the nature of the song itself. I have enormous respect for Phil Coulter's musical achievements, but Ireland's Call, or Ireland's Bawl as I think of it, is not one of them.

As a song or a piece of music in its own right it would not merit any great attention, or criticism. But as a substitute national anthem it is completely inadequate, coming across as dirge-like and sombre.

Never mind La Marseillaise, it's not in the halfpenny place compared with the bugle in the blood generated for the Scots with Scotland the Brave, the Welsh with Land of Our Fathers, the Italian national anthem, Il Canto Degli Italiani or, let it be said, England's God Save the Queen.

Even in Irish terms it does not stand comparison, for example, with the power and emotional intensity of the magnificent, uplifting music Shaun Davy composed for the Special Olympics in 2003 and which is still played on occasion at Croke Park.

But the issue is not merely a musical one. There is literally a serious national issue here.

Ireland's Call was commissioned by the IRFU and introduced back in 1995 because northern players from the Unionist tradition objected to having to stand for Amhran na bhFiann, the anthem of the Green tradition on this island.

Henceforth the Irish national anthem was to be dropped when Ireland played away from home and sung only at Lansdowne Road, where the President and the Taoiseach attend matches.

The dropping of the national anthem and the introduction of Ireland's Call coincided with the coming of professionalism.

Ireland's Call was introduced with great fanfare being sung for the first time on The Late Late Show and, north of the border, on The Kelly Show. Former rugby greats from the Republic like Noel Murphy and Tommy Kiernan expressed the hope that the song would help to bring the two traditions together. An admirable objective but how grounded in reality was, or is, it?

The fact is that people of goodwill considered then, and consider now, that the singing of the anthem is part of the package of honour bound up with wearing the green shirt of the sovereign Republic of Ireland.

If one has a certain mindset Ireland's Call won't change it.

Was there any sign during the recent tortuous negotiations at Stormont that any DUP rugby supporters were influenced by Ireland's Call into being accommodating with Sinn Fein? Will it sound in the background in a few weeks time when further trouble and protracted negotiation can be expected over the parades issue?

The irony of the present situation regarding Ireland's Call is that it has not the slightest effect on the tradition to which it was meant to appeal, but is a cause of increasing irritation to the members of the tradition which thought it was doing something worthwhile by introducing it.

If we have progressed to a point in our island relationships where God Save the Queen can be sung at Croke Park and (rightly) listened to with respect, then Amhran na bhFiann should be sung at Twickenham. The IRFU are opening a new stadium at Lansdowne Road shortly which I most sincerely hope will be the start of a great new and successful era for the game and for the country. It should also be taken as an equally great opportunity for the restoration of the Irish national anthem and the dropping of Ireland's Bawl.

- Tim Pat Coogan
Sunday Independent
http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analy ... 72620.html
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

green shirt of the sovereign Republic of Ireland
Players wear an IRFU shirt. It may be green, it may not. It is certainly not the "shirt of the sovereign Republic of Ireland".

Our players represent the IRFU, NOT the Republic of Ireland. It is the continued wish of Tim Pat and others to position the team as the ROI team which is the problem.
Last edited by cables on Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Cascade
Novice

Post by Cascade »

[/quote]

Never mind La Marseillaise, it's not in the halfpenny place compared with the bugle in the blood generated for the Scots with Scotland the Brave, the Welsh with Land of Our Fathers, the Italian national anthem, Il Canto Degli Italiani or, let it be said, England's God Save the Queen.

- Tim Pat Coogan
Sunday Independent

Flower of Scotland, when will we see, a journalist check and report facts?
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

As usual tripe from TPC

"that the singing of the anthem is part of the package of honour bound up with wearing the green shirt of the sovereign Republic of Ireland"

One slight problem old Timmy lad - the Irish rugby team represents the whole of Ireland, the players are not wearing the green shirt of the Republic of Ireland.

Ignorant pillock :banghead:
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

TPC's article is total horlix anyway. A na b was never "dropped" as the away anthem as it was never played in the first place.

And if he wants a stirring, rousing anthem on a par with La Marseillaise or Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau then it certainly won't be A na b.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

Trevor Brennan in 'Flag' Row

Trevor Brennan, former Toulouse and Irish rugby player, has become embroiled in a 'flag' scandal. This comes shortly after he was named in an article which called for Ireland's Call - or Ireland's Bawl as is opponents have come to refer to it - to be scrapped in favour of something more uplifting, namely Amhán Na bhFiann - the national anthem of the Republic of Ireland.

Brennan, leaving his Irish themed pub in Toulouse late on Monday evening, was approached by what he described as "one of these metros".

A young male, featuring blonded tints in his straightened hair, and wearing tight-fitting white jeans and a matching cardigan, had been drinking spritzers all day and according to the former international lock "didn't know if he needed a tom kite or a shave".

"He walked straight into me and then when I tried to step past him, hit me in the fist with his face - several times - before falling over because of all the grog he'd put away.

"I then tried to reason with the guy - asked him to get his sorry corpse off my floor and out my door - and then he rolled a few more times straight against the toe of my right boot. At that point I became annoyed and lost my temper a little bit. I was in two minds whether to call him a fag or a langer, and in the confusion I called him a flag.

"The rumours that he was wearing a Santa hat aren't true."
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
Satans little helper
Novice

Here is the full article from Tim Pat Coogan (where you will see that he cites Brennan because he lives and played rugby in France and understands what La Marseillaise means to French people and not some anti-Ulster agenda.
I never ever thought of The Marseillaise as being anti-Ulster :shock:
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

I wll not go on his tours.
I will not buy his book.
I will not drink in his pub.

That'll teach him.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

Ardglass2 wrote:As usual tripe from TPC

"that the singing of the anthem is part of the package of honour bound up with wearing the green shirt of the sovereign Republic of Ireland"

One slight problem old Timmy lad - the Irish rugby team represents the whole of Ireland, the players are not wearing the green shirt of the Republic of Ireland.

Ignorant pillock :banghead:

Living in the Republic, i come across this sentiment a lot. If i may use a sweeping generalisation: When people here talk of Ireland what they mean is the Republic, but at the same time they lay claim to all of Ireland It's as if they are in denial that Northern Ireland exists at all or perhaps they see it as British or English and therefore not Irish. For example, it's not very often you read in newspapers down here the term Northern Ireland, a lot of the times it's called the north. People don't use the term NI much either in speech. Similarly, they find it strange when i say Southern Ireland or the Republic, instead they just say Ireland.

TPC is a P$%ck and to be ignored at all times. Trevor Brennan shows his true nationalistic or perhaps republican self and perhaps this has some connection to how he slurred the Ulster fans with his sectarian allegations. I wonder if he would have reacted in the same way if he was playing Leinster on that fateful day and some posh southsider shouted "your beer is shoiiite, you north side knacker". On second thoughts maybe he would have....

Personally, i don't mind the soldier's song but i don't think it should be played at all at any IRFU matches as it's not a unifying anthem but I think people down here don't understand why it's not a unifying anthem or perhaps think that majority rule therefore it should be used. It's bizarre but the sooner somebody writes a good anthem or borrows one from somewhere else, the better.
Satans little helper
Novice

stickinout, well said, I'm in the same boat but I have the guys in work using the phrase Gods Country when referring to NI. It's a bit of a joke but it does make the point that there are two sovereign states sharing this wee island but we have one team representing both.