Wales V France: game over after 20 mins

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Horrific decision - what a clampit. Game over as a spectacle. Shameful.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Wales V France: game over after 20 mins

Post by Rooster »

againstthehead wrote:Horrific decision - what a clampit. Game over as a spectacle. Shameful.
What happened ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

It was a spear tackle, and IMO a very clear and pretty dangerous-looking one - albeit I think Warburton got a bit carried away and careless rather than malicious. But a red card??? I'm not sure what it says in the laws, but I hope Rolland got it right... For me it was a definite yellow.. certainly diminishes the game for the neutral..
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

definite yellow but no way in hell a red.

Wales doing well with 14 men but game over.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Brought down on his shoulders, if he doesn't move his neck up it gets broken. Ref only gets to see it once in real time, hasn't the benefit of a thousand slow mo replays.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
gpjmoss
Novice

Post by gpjmoss »

againstthehead wrote:Horrific decision - what a clampit. Game over as a spectacle. Shameful.
Is it not better that your "spectacle" is ruined than a player gets seriously injured, through malice or otherwise? The BBC 5 Live website has a discussion of the relevant law of the game and it would appear to be the correct decision.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

The tackle was not a spear tackle - he was not driven into the ground with his legs higher than head and shoulders.

Warbuton, finding that he had the player off the ground, should have aided his safe return to ground. He did not do that - he dropped him.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
cbusbyni
Novice

Post by cbusbyni »

For me a marginal call, definitely a yellow card and I have no problem with the red. There was a directive from the IRB for this type of thing that said that for any tackle where the player is brought above the horizontal and not put down safely we should be starting at a red card and working our way down.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Game far from over, Hope France get stuffed next week shocking performance from them, hats of to Wales for an outstanding performance with 14 men and missing Adam Jones :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut:
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

It was absolutely the right decision by Rolland. 'Tip tackles' as the SH call them were highlighted by Paddy O'Brien pre-tournament as something he and the IRB wanted to clamp down on. By the laws, Rolland had no option and good on him being prepared to take the tough decision and not kop out because it was early in the RWC SF.

I thought the coverage by ITV was despicable. Wait til we hear the woes coming from the valleys, there will never be an end to it.
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

The Welsh didn't seem so bothered about refereeing "injustices" made by Jonathan Kaplan and Peter Allan in the 6 Nations against Ireland a few months ago....

It's one thing listening to Francois Pienaar and Dallaglio but having to listen to Steve Ryder spouting on about it when he probably doesn't even know what the rule is, is something else....

Still, well played Wales, today and throughout the tournament.
Samstew
Squire

Post by Samstew »

In real time, in slow motion, it was absolutely correct to give the red card.
It took a brave referee to make that decision in a World Cup semi final and at that stage of the game.
I'm also glad the French won in the end, Rugby Union beats Rugby League!
The only shame for me was the cameras didn't spend any time on Mike Phillips after the final whistle, the disappointment on his face would have been a sight to behold:D
Last edited by Samstew on Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

cables wrote:The tackle was not a spear tackle - he was not driven into the ground with his legs higher than head and shoulders.

Warbuton, finding that he had the player off the ground, should have aided his safe return to ground. He did not do that - he dropped him.

In terms of the laws there is no longer a distinction between "dropped" and "driven".

It was at the harsh end of the scale given what we all saw replayed on telly - But my immediate reaction on seeing it was that he'd get red. So I think it's fair enough to be honest.

We'll see if a citing arises, stupidity doesn't hurt any less than malice.
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

If this type of tackle routinely sees red throughout the season then fair enough. But red cards for a tackle like that are like hens teath.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Samstew wrote:In real time, in slow motion, it was absolutely correct to give the red card.
It took a brave referee to make that decision in a World Cup semi final and at that stage of the game.
I'm also glad the French won in the end, Rugby Union beats Rugby League!
The only shame for me was the cameras didn't spend any time on Mike Phillips after the final whistle, the disappointment on his face would have been a sight to behold:D
In fairness to Wales I thought both Jamie Roberts and Shane Williams spoke really well after the game.