Munster/Leinster Baa Baa's not working..

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

ballpark
Warrior Chief

Munster/Leinster Baa Baa's not working..

Post by ballpark »

Proof if it where needed, that you can take a huge dollop of the Munster pack and a few lovin' spoonfuls of the Leinster backline plus some spicy tibits from the nether regions and blend it up into a green broth with provincial ingredient Nos 9 and 10 and hey you have a world rugby beating recipe for international success is misguided and firmly nailed as such yesterday.

By the end of Ireland's match yesterday the entire Munster pack bar Antony Foley plus Munster's half backs where on the pitch against Italy and it was not working.

Marcus Horan that world renowned scrummager is like an an intelligence gathering submarine, visible at the start of his mission but sinks silently below the waves when the match starts and remains invisible for the duration.

David Wallace the ball carrying Munster openside needs someone like Foley to do the hard graft for him and allow him to express himself with ball in hand otherwise Wallace too submerges under pressure of having to do a bit of graft on the decks. Gleeson to be recalled for Paris and the Wallace myth that he has been unjustly overlooked for Ireland because Eddie dislikes him should be firmly put to bed. Leamy should be moved to No.6 his natural home and a bona fide No. 8 brought in. Foley, Heaslip or even Wilson.

Predictable, robotic, one dimensional....take your pick, defences do not have to deal with any kind of slippery attack which will make them pause for thought in the back row, that sums up O'Gara and Stringer. Think I actually saw a box kick from Stringer... quelle variation mon ami, french back row and back 3 will be stunned to see this variation on the le pass next week and perhaps fail to awake from their stupor of watching the ball whizz twixt 9 and 10.

D'arcy look's a winger playing centre. As a second ten playmaker and distributor of the ball...... no. In the Autumn games he hugged the ball broke the gainline and then ...ruck.. slow ball out. Either play him on the wing or drop him and bring in Trimble at outside centre and move O'Driscoll to inside centre.

BANG!!!!! mythbusters at work again courtesy of a tough Italian defence, we do not have the best backline in the 6N and BO'D D'Arcy, Murphy, Horgan, Bowe potential remained under lock and key whilst the predictability at half back flourishes and the much vaunted Munster pack struggles against the Italians, next week the French and the English after that.

The coach is as predictable as his half backs and will drop Bowe bring in Hickie, play Doncha in place of O'Kelly, drop Easterby and play Wallace at no.8 and Gleeson at 7 and will finish a coiple of tries short of a victory against the French after a valiant battle by the brave Irish. C'est la vie, you heard it here first!!!
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Well summed up BP, except you forgot that Simon and Rory will still be gathering splinters in their backsides on the bench and Trimby and Humphs will have a nap under the bench. :roll:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
ballpark
Warrior Chief

Post by ballpark »

Agree Rooster, I thought that BOD moving to inside centre and Trimble being brought on at 13 for the last twenty would have injected some variation into the midfield. Likewise Simon and Rory brought into the front row.
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

I think you have to give more credit to the Italians who disrupted Ireland at every facet. Not all of it legal but they got away with it. I agree with yoiur comments on the Wallace myth, and again missing when the 10 - 12 channel was attacked. Something Gleeson does very well.

However back to point. The Italians physically attacked Ireland with a series of early late and very high tackles. The referee warned them about it but did not penalise and eventually was forced to send a player off. In the lineouts the Irish jumper in the air was taken out. The jumpers were pulled backwards when in midair ....... highly dangerous. Yet again Illegal ......... was it penalised .... no. You put a guy in the centre, tackle him late and high and he is not going to keep his eye on the ball. That certainly was a factor in defence of Eddie. The Italian defence was very aggressive and did move frequently on the wrong side of the law and was dangerous on occasions.

But you take that point and then you watch ROG launch the Irish backs in their own 22 against an Italian back line that were definitely more than up for it. Questionable to say the least. We did not help ourselves. Piles of space outwide begging for fast ball and spaces behind the defence that were never exploited just left to remain in their virgin state of exploitation as the sterile down the middle bashing continued with a well marshalled DOD and Darce more worried about keeping their heads, literally.

Italy played very well putting the ball behind the Irish defence at every opportunity either by good running or clever kicks. They hampered and drove well dominating a fireless Irish pack. But Ill reserve judgement until Paris but there needs a lot of work done between then and now. The first one against Italy is always hard and the Italians will push Scotland and Wales hard possibly even beating them. But based on what we saw last season in the 6 Nations, the Novemeber games and now I would not be hopeful but hopefully pleasantly surprised.

Colin :twisted:
Romeo47 Alpha 52
ballpark
Warrior Chief

Post by ballpark »

colinh wrote: Italy played very well putting the ball behind the Irish defence at every opportunity either by good running or clever kicks. They hampered and drove well dominating a fireless Irish pack.
One wonders why Ireland tactically couldn't do something similar and how seasoned internationals somehow allow themselves to be intimidated out of the game.

It's always worrying when EO'S starts on about players being bitten on the arm. Well just like in NZ last summer it does take attention away from the paucity of his tactics.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Easterby should not have put his arm in his mouth :shock:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

One wonders why Ireland tactically couldn't do something similar and how seasoned internationals somehow allow themselves to be intimidated out of the game.
Especially as three of the Irish pack were test players for the Lions in the summer. Easterby, OCallaghan and OConnell.

Romeo47 Alpha 52
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

One problem BP is there would appear to be little that we up here can bring to the table.

Flannery wouldn't be playing for Munster but for Sheenan's injury and may one day be there of his own accord. I can only assume that EOS wanted familar faces around him to help although I noted that Anderson descibed him as an extremely hard individual.

Would having one or even two of the Best's included improve matters much, one thing for sure with France up next likely to be more of the same. To be honest probably best that way for our guys in that they don't start the French game.

O'Kelly again as Anderson said will he turn up ? should be set aside for DOC who has enough experience not to sitting on the bench.

Obviously time was not on Boss's side however I doubt EOS will split the terrible two up. Trimble yes he deserves a chance but where in the centre or on the wing where in truth I see that Bowe could be exposed for what he is.

The players can't have gone down hill since a few weeks ago they were brushing Sale and Bath aside so maybe it is the way they are being tought to play. If that is expansive rugby then I will stick with the AB's version although I accept that given our abilities it would take a life time to get close.
Last edited by Cockatrice on Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
dead ball
Steward

Post by dead ball »

Cockatrice wrote: Would having one or even two Bests's improve matters much one thing for sure with France up likely to me more of the same and to be honest best that way for our guys.
CT
We all hate the spelling police but, really needs must, what on earth are you trying to say? :shock:
The trouble with referees is that they just don't care which side wins - Tom Canterbury.

Ulster proud sponsors of Comical Eddie! :roll:
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

From high up in the West Stand, I thought I saw the beginnings of a rift between our esteemed captain and RoG. Were they niggling each other a lot in the second half, or was I just dizzy from the altitude?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BOD was having a bad day Aaron and just wanted a scrap with anyone :shock:
Rory Best
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Match statistics..........................

http://www.irishrugby.ie/newspage/70579.html
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
pressbox
Warrior

Post by pressbox »

Having watched both games yesterday and that game today - fair play to the Scots - Ireland are likely to finish in fourth place if they do not change their ways quickly.

Very disappointed with that performance and was just so glad I had gone to Shaw’s Bridge, which meant when I got bored with the match (about 15 minutes) I could go and see a decent match.

Cooke defeated Londonderry YM 47-5 in Qualifying Two
Seven tries and they now need just one point to secure promotion.

Clogher Valley knocked Limavady off their stide in Qualifying One by winning 16-14, Limavady‘s first defeat of the season.
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Post by jamesie »

pressbox wrote:Ireland are likely to finish in fourth place if they do not change their ways quickly
...or fifth :roll:
pressbox
Warrior

Post by pressbox »

I was being positive! :?