International Teams order of preference

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: International Teams order of preference

Post by big mervyn »

WHose shirts would you be unwilling to wear even if you were given them? Probably only SA and Engerland for me.

I was in buying some walking boots and picked up an unofficial Aussie shirt off the bargain rail at Sports Direct for 69p the other day - yea 69p!. Dacent enough quality - wearing it the day to wsh the motor and celebrate yesterday's performance. What in gawd's name were England wearing btw - this merchandizing lark is getting out of hand. How many of those do they seriously think they're going to be able to flog?>
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

big mervyn wrote:WHose shirts would you be unwilling to wear even if you were given them?
Ulster, Ireland and I've got a Western Province shirt. Would wear a South Africa shirt but don't like Canterbury's style.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Bellyups
Novice

Post by Bellyups »

Ireland
New Zealand (they're a class above everyone else and keep churning out more and more exciting players)
Wales
Scotland
South Africa
Australia
Any other international team
England (seems to be a common view) I lived in north of England for a few years rugby league supporters in particular hated the English union team.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote: Good to see the ex-pat Irish from Down Under thrashing your lot Shan. The fact that the winner was with a huge forward pass that M.Poite was close enough to see but didn't bother giving a decision to Les Rosbifs was the cherry on top of the icing on the cherry cake.
Well hardly a thrashing but a decent victory for Australia.
BaggyTrousers wrote: Have to say I found it offensive that the Fijian clown who led their wee dance had written "Jesus is Lord" on his shirt. Surely we can do without this nonsense. I dare say that if someone had written "God doesn't exist" there would be roars of outrage from the lunatic fringe of Christianity. :roll: I trust he will be fined, for if Tuilagi & other spides are fined for carrying inappropriate writing on their kit this SSI should be subject to similar scrutiny.
Ah go on. Too easy to be offended by things these days. Maybe the lunatic fringe would be outraged by somebody utilising their freedom of expression to give their opinions but that is no reason to want to descend to the same level. Freedom should always trump personal feelings in my view.

Laws were made for people
And the law can never scorn
The right of a man to be free

[Chorus]
Free the people , let them have their say
Free the people let them see the light of day

The dismal dawn was breaking
When they took her man away
Not knowing what was his crime
Just what was he guilty of
Not one of them could say
But they'll think of something in time
He says goodbye and remembers
We shall overcome.

[Chorus]

Comforting her children
Softly crying in the night
She tried very hard to explane
You know your daddy never did a thing
That wasn't right
So soon he's bound to be home again
He is a good man
And we shall overcome

[Chorus]

What does it profit him
The right to be born
If he suffers the loss of liberty
Laws were made for people
And the law can never scorn
The right of a man to be free
We are the people
And we shall overcome
We are the people
And we shall overcome
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

big mervyn wrote:WHose shirts would you be unwilling to wear even if you were given them? Probably only SA and Engerland for me.

I was in buying some walking boots and picked up an unofficial Aussie shirt off the bargain rail at Sports Direct for 69p the other day - yea 69p!. Dacent enough quality - wearing it the day to wsh the motor and celebrate yesterday's performance. What in gawd's name were England wearing btw - this merchandizing lark is getting out of hand. How many of those do they seriously think they're going to be able to flog?>
Have never given it a minutes thought for the only non-Irish shirt I've ever had was a Tahs short donated by an ever-swelling nephew. I suspect if there were no charge I'd wear a Boks shirt any time they were playing England or NZ.

I wouldn't wear an England shirt it I had hypothermia and was on the verge of death, some things are worse than death, eternal shame being one of such. A country without any sense of shame, for decades the rapists & pillagers of the world and yet without an ounce of shame they wear purple, like 15 paedophile bishops. :roll:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

Despite being eligible to play for England they are well down my list of preference.
Ireland
France
NZ
SA
Aus
Wales
Scot
Fiji/Tonga/Samoa
Arg
Eng
Others
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

I believe I'm eligible to play for Engerland too - paternal grandfather. That's enough isn't it?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

Meh...

The only international shirt I've ever owned that wasn't Ireland was for a country which no longer exists (I still have the shirt, but it seems to have shrunk).

All other things being equal, in a neutral game I'll cheer for anyone, with a slight bias towards the "home international" sides or eh... Italy.
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

There's no such thing as a "neutral game" as far as I'm concerned, and indeed, as suggested by the title of this thread. You have to want somebody to win or there's little point in watching.
Big Neville Southall
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by big mervyn » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:31 pm

There's no such thing as a "neutral game" as far as I'm concerned, and indeed, as suggested by the title of this thread. You have to want somebody to win or there's little point in watching.
Thats not true.

Im currently sitting watching Juventus v Chelsea because I like football. Couldnt give a hoot who wins.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

It's true for me.

Couldn't really give a toss about football but ... C'MON JUVE!!!!!
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

AyeYerMa wrote:Meh...

The only international shirt I've ever owned that wasn't Ireland was for a country which no longer exists (I still have the shirt, but it seems to have shrunk).
East Germany played rugby ???????????????????????

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Merv, as I revealed a while back, I too would be eligible for England but FFS a man has to have principals I'd rather played for the fecking Argies and if you read that thread earlier I'm not to enamoured with those ballixes. >minigun
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Right lot of "Plastic Pommes" 'round here :lol:

The Argies are widely misunderstood imo, possibly because of the behaviour of some of their sporting ambassadors and of a few right wing tyrants.

They have a very caring/sharing society so they have. Gr8 place for a visit.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

big mervyn wrote:Right lot of "Plastic Pommes" 'round here :lol:

The Argies are widely misunderstood imo, possibly because of the behaviour of some of their sporting ambassadors and of a few right wing tyrants.

They have a very caring/sharing society so they have. Gr8 place for a visit.
That last line may well be good & true Merv but tell that to the wife of a mate of mine who was robbed by teh passenger on a motorbike in Buenos Aires. She had a small handbeg on a metal chain so when he ripped it off her neck not only did she get a lovely permanent scar but whiplash into the bargain - nice holiday, nice Argie.

But Merv we are talking rugby and they are lowlife, don't bother asking Keith Wood, EOS or any of the 6 gouged in one match, ask Paul Ackford or any of the other various internationals who have been on the end of their verminous claws. Apart from a lovely lady who used to attempt to teach me Spanish only good Argie, dead Argie. Vermin.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

I'd go for:

Ireland
France
Argentina
Australia
Samoa
Scotland
England
South Africa
New Zealand
Wales

(there isn't much between the last 3 or 4..)

As to which intl jersey I'd wear - I've got a Tonga shirt, depending on how nice the shirt is I'd happily wear French or Argentina, or any of the island sides shirt, but nobody else really.. In fact I have given away or got rid of all my Ireland shirts, I'll wait until Kidney is gone before thinking about picking up a new one..
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden