Irish Lions

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Irish Lions

Post by Russ »

Given the announcement of the Ireland team to face Wales, and knowing that playing international rugby is almost necessity to become a Lion, who is sitting on the plane?

Given the dearth of 7s in the UK, with only Warburton being a stand out, and Robshaw not an out and out 7, I would have thought Henry had a chance, but alas, Kiddinya has overlooked him

Of that Irish team picked today, I count

Healy
Best
Sexton

Not a great contingent
Last edited by Russ on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dublane
Novice

Re: Irish Llions

Post by dublane »

if BOD is fit he goes as does...

Kearney
Heaslip
Ryan
Healy
Best
Sexton
Bowe
O Brien

I would like to see... however unlikely..
Trimble
Henderson (even as a squad man)
Gilroy
Court
Cave
Ferris
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

dublane wrote:if BOD is fit he goes as does...

Kearney
Heaslip
Ryan
Healy
Best
Sexton
Bowe
O Brien

Trimble
Gilroy
Court
Cave
Ferris
Don't have Heaslip in the top 3 8s in the British Isles Dublane.

Kearney yes

BOD won't travel, Gatland will see his injury streak as a liability

O'Brien won't go as a 7, not a chance of that. If he wants to go, he needs to be playing 6 or 8
Deckard
Novice

Post by Deckard »

Forget all of this. Whoever wins the 6 nations will provide most of the squad. Trying to figure in advance who might go woulkd only work if Declan Kidney was the coach
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Deckard wrote:Forget all of this. Whoever wins the 6 nations will provide most of the squad. Trying to figure in advance who might go woulkd only work if Declan Kidney was the coach
France? >EW
Deckard
Novice

Post by Deckard »

mikerob wrote:
Deckard wrote:Forget all of this. Whoever wins the 6 nations will provide most of the squad. Trying to figure in advance who might go woulkd only work if Declan Kidney was the coach
France? >EW
D'OH!! :lol: good call!
Thelaw
Steward

Post by Thelaw »

dublane wrote:if BOD is fit he goes as does...

Kearney
Heaslip
Ryan
Healy
Best
Sexton
Bowe
O Brien

Trimble
Gilroy
Court
Cave
Ferris
Why the hell would BOD go? Cause he was good years ago? He was great, but his time has come and gone, only Ireland coaches can't accept that.
Dura lex sed lex
bazzaj

Re: Irish Lions

Post by bazzaj »

Dont be so quick to write of BOD law man.
Remember his performance in last years HEC final when he tore us a knew one having just come back from an operation?
That was his last game till now and I thought he looked sharp against Exeter.
He will also get there as there is no class alternatives to challenge him providing he stays fit.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Kearney
Zebo :banghead:
O'Driscoll (if fit)
Sexton
Reddan
Heaslip
O'Brien
Ferris (if fit)
Ryan
Ross
Best
Healy

Of those, I'd expect Healy, Best, Ferris, O'Brien and Sexton to get any Test gametime. Maybe BOD and Ryan.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Deckard
Novice

Post by Deckard »

Here's an interesting thought - imagine that Ireland are rubbish again in this 6N, Kidney keeps on picking his buddies etc - I can imagine Gatland quite relishing the idea of picking a couple of Ireland's performing players, rather than the ones whose names are written in lilac and underlined in Deccie's address book. So if Ulster continue to tear up trees, and for example win the HEC, then a few of our lads might make the trip anyway! Win-win - we keep them as far away from Kidney as possible, he'll look like a bell-end, and they get the recognition they deserve, what's not to like :cheers:
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Reddan wont travel. Youngs, Care and Phillips will probably be the scrum halves.
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Deckard wrote:Here's an interesting thought - imagine that Ireland are rubbish again in this 6N, Kidney keeps on picking his buddies etc - I can imagine Gatland quite relishing the idea of picking a couple of Ireland's performing players, rather than the ones whose names are written in lilac and underlined in Deccie's address book. So if Ulster continue to tear up trees, and for example win the HEC, then a few of our lads might make the trip anyway! Win-win - we keep them as far away from Kidney as possible, he'll look like a bell-end, and they get the recognition they deserve, what's not to like :cheers:
Gatland would take the greatest of pleasure in going against the wisdom of the IRFU. He knows how the daft system works. If he decides Chris is better than POM, Chris will get the nod.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

breakdown wrote:Reddan wont travel. Youngs, Care and Phillips will probably be the scrum halves.
Sorry, I didn't even mean Reddan, I meant Murray. But yes, you're right, neither will probably travel anyway.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Garland is his own man ( which is why he didn't suit D4 )

Best
Kearney
Healy and
Sexton
Those four players stand out when you consider the other options provided by England Scotland and Wales.

Gilroy if he has a good 6Ns mainly because he offers something totally different to the other wings

I can't see BoD ,RoG DoC or PoC being even considered unless as a last resort and no other options . all have played on at least two Lions tours two have been captains and their inclusion could undermine other players and disrupt the squad .

BoD of course will be there but as part of the TV pundits not playing.

Other possibles would be Heaslip SoB D Ryan

Zebo is also an outsider along with Earls if injury prohits a few from going .

As I see it England and Wales could provide most of the forwards and and the Welsh most of the backs.

With maybe 2 or three Scots
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Boutye
Initiate

Post by Boutye »

I know I would be a fan of angry Tom, I'm also aware that he needs to be playing for Ireland first but imho he is probably the best loose head in the British isles at the minute, when are players going to be picked on form? And not on whose Christmas card list they are on!