Irish Lions

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

bazzaj

Re: Irish Lions

Post by bazzaj »

Snipe Watson wrote:
ruckover wrote:Best, Ross, O'Brien, O'Driscoll, Zebo.
Ross is no Lion. Cole, Wilson and particularly Jones are all way ahead of Ross.
Point here is to select by looking at the alternatives and how many players are in the squad.
Certainly based on the evidence till now and on a 38 squad, (dont know other wise), Ross still will not make it as we lack depth there that the other countries do not.
Same reason John Hayes gets over 100 caps for us but he would have been lucky to get any for England or Wales.
Captaincy will go to BOD as again there are few alternatives guaranteed a test spot.
Others at this stage look to be in are Zebo,Best, SOB,Sexton,Healy.
I believe the rest of the team are all in with a shout and all have potential to get there if Wales continue their decline in particular.
Henry is an interesting one as Gatland has made no secret of the fact that he wants out and out 7s to combat the Aussies importance they place on theirs.
Tipuric is the form one that fits that criteria so Chad may have a wild card chance due to his breakdown work.
It would be tough on Robshaw though.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Several posters suggesting Ferris...... to be honest I dont see him going... not withstanding his lack of rugby I think he is now no longer able to deliver 100% for a full game... and that alone should mean there is no room for passengers.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Stuart Hogg is on the plane
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Russ wrote:Stuart Hogg is on the plane
Already? Is he part German?
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

Snipe Watson wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: >appl
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Snipe Watson wrote:
He needs the extra acclimatising time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gucd0IbRn5c
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

After today, nobody. At a stretch, Rory Best, but that would be it.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

ruckover wrote:After today, nobody. At a stretch, Rory Best, but that would be it.
SOB is pencilled in with Rory!

English 2nd rows and back row pencilled in too

Farrell on plane with German Hogg
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

Rory has to go this time, it would be the biggest injustice of his career if he didn't make it now.

Matt Dawson wrote in the Mirror on Friday that he would make Rory captain too, how awesome would that be?
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Sean O'Brien and Rory Best should be Ireland's two in the travelling party. It's hard to see anyone beyond that. Rory could make the test side.
BOD might make it. I suspect he won't go as he won't want to be on the midweek team with Barrett, Tuliagi, Davies and Roberts ahead of him. It's a year too late for a lot of the Irish players.
Throw in a token Scot and the rest is an English and Welsh combo.

Is there an Irish tour somewhere for the rest of our lads to go on?
Bellyups
Novice

Post by Bellyups »

Where do you see O'Brien playing? He's not an open side kidney is the only coach who would overlook an in-form player such as Henry and persist in playing a team without a natural 7. I can't see O'Brien going and it might be one of the worst years for Irish involvement.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

O'Brien would be a 6. I agree he'd be nowhere near the test team being well behind the English and Welsh.
I think he would go as they'd have to have a second Irish player on the tour.
You have to have one from Scotland and you probably have to have two from Ireland if only for marketing reasons.There's an element of show biz to the Lions after all and they have to pretend they have players from four countries.
Even in the dark days of the 90s didn't we manage to get Popplewell and Galway on a tour?
TMHG
Initiate

Post by TMHG »

Dublin4 wrote:O'Brien would be a 6. I agree he'd be nowhere near the test team being well behind the English and Welsh.
You have to have one from Scotland and you probably have to have two from Ireland if only for marketing reasons.There's an element of show biz to the Lions after all and they have to pretend they have players from four countries.
Even in the dark days of the 90s didn't we manage to get Popplewell and Galway on a tour?
I wouldn't go too much on the match today - completely different conditions in Australia. Players like Healy will go much better on the Australian hard ground. That pitch is a disgrace - too many leg injuries on it.

Wasn't Richard Wallace on that Lions tour with Popplewell (very underated player) and Galwey?
TMHG
Initiate

Post by TMHG »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:
Dublin4 wrote:O'Brien would be a 6. I agree he'd be nowhere near the test team being well behind the English and Welsh.
I'll tell you what! You boys from the South think of everything! >EW

After years of having Rory Best as the token Ulsterman on the Irish team you now want him to be the token Irish man on the British Lions! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Other than that I agree with you. Rory Best is looking like the Test hooker.
Rory has a bit of work to do on his throwing - his lineout throwing was poor today.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

TMHG wrote: Wasn't Richard Wallace on that Lions tour with Popplewell (very underated player) and Galwey?
Went out as a replacement. Just Popplewell and Galwey in the initial squad.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall