Irish Lions

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Re: Irish Lions

Post by rumncoke »

While Kearney didn't have his b est day at the office yesterday he undoubtedly was playing in the worst conditions of the weekend plus he is not that long back from injury and may not be 100 % physically or mentally atune to be considered 100 % fit.I expect his play to improve over the coming weeks.

The lions go in June if he his injury free between now and then he will go based on his experience alone.

While everybody says Ok BoD wasn't great yesterday but how about last week the problem is which performance is significant the good or the bad.

The +ves are 1/ he has been one of the best defenders in midfield for many years.
2/ he definitely is one of the best timers of a pass to a wing
3/ he can score from 5 yards (like a forward )

the down side is his age does he have the stamina and pace for an 8o min game at International level playing (13) he is becoming injury prone .
And how will his presence in the squad effect the performance and standing of a Captain of the squad ?

Of the two the latter combined with the first question maybe sufficent to hinder his selecting because bar his ability to time a pass there are centres who can defend and some might even be faster and less injury prone.

In previous tours the negatives didn't exist they do now.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

For the No 15 shirt Halfpenny looks to be the best bet for the test side. Kearney has to get himself of Goode, Brown and Hogg if he wants to make the plane for Australia.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Dublin4 wrote:Bazzaj,
You are quite right. I was judging yesterday's performance too harshly. The conditions were dire. Coming out of the stadium I was struck by the amount of rain falling which we were all sheltered from inside the ground.

BOD is still class and proved it in Cardiff. I just had an extreme mood swing. We are not as bad as we think we are. I thought Heaslip was tom kite yesterday but the stats show he had loads a tackles carries that I seem to have missed.

We are better off withholding judgement on the Lions until the final round of matches.
Dublin 4
Dont worry Dublin I am only telling you through my only experience when I wrote off BOD completely as finished when he was outplayed, outpaced and outclassed by Conrad Smith after he came back from injury.
After that he reinvented his style of play and won a grand slam and 3 HEC cups.
I remember back to then and thought I wont be doing that again to the great man.
The thing is he actually thrives on it when people do.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Rory Best will definitely travel and is likely to be in pole position for the starting spot. Hiw throwing is still not great at this level and his biggest risk is a shaky lineout performance in a midweek game costing him a starting berth. Could even lose out to Dylan Hartley.... :evil:
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Remember that Lee Mears actually started the first test opposite the mighty Bismark in the last series before he was mercilessly found out.
Seems inconcievable now but funny things can happen on these tours to give someone the nod over a more obvious inital choice.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

bazzaj wrote:Remember that Lee Mears actually started the first test opposite the mighty Bismark in the last series before he was mercilessly found out.
Seems inconcievable now but funny things can happen on these tours to give someone the nod over a more obvious inital choice.
He's also the major retiree of the day!

The Pope's spin doctor was heard saying
it's a good day to bury bad news
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Thats some coincidence.
Had no idea of his retirement today until you said Russ.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

bazzaj wrote:Thats some coincidence.
Had no idea of his retirement today until you said Russ.
Lions bakebook page posted it earlier, under some headline like "big retirement news - lee mears" then some twaddle about him being an exceptional tourist
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Until he met the afore mentioned Bismark that is.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

TMHG wrote:Rory has a bit of work to do on his throwing - his lineout throwing was poor today.
Herring was worse on Friday.

And this in the week after Phil the Power Taylor was giving our lads a few pointers.

I reckon we should go back to the days when they let the wingers through in - would have given Gilly something to do at least :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

In my opinion Rory is in pole position to be the starting hooker for the Lions, he has played his rivals off the pitch, Dylan Hartley in the game at Northampton and also for the few minutes they faced each other yesterday
Tom Youngs game went to pieces yesterday as did his scrummaging
Matthew Rees again Rory was miles ahead of him last week, that only leaves Ross Ford and possibly Strauss, Ford got the nod ahead of Rory to SA but can't see that happening again and Strauss is running out of big games to put his hand up.....Rory all the way providing he keeps form and injury free :cheers:
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Hibbard is a late contender playing well and is a late contender for hooker at Rorys expense if his darts do not improve.
I think Heaslip saw off Beattie for a back row place though Ryan Jones has been outstanding for Wales in the last couple of weeks and his versatility gives him an edge.
Also theres Wood for similar reasons and therefore Heaslip may still struggle to go.
Kearney out shone Hogg but hasnt quite done enough to convince, with similar competition to Heaslip.
I think if Marshall gives a good account in the next few games he could go as a wild card choice.
He has made more clean brakes in one half than the rest of the inside centre contenders put together.
Thats if Darcy isnt recalled.DOH!
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

bazzaj wrote:Hibbard is a late contender playing well and is a late contender for hooker at Rorys expense if his darts do not improve.
I think Heaslip saw off Beattie for a back row place though Ryan Jones has been outstanding for Wales in the last couple of weeks and his versatility gives him an edge.
Also theres Wood for similar reasons and therefore Heaslip may still struggle to go.
Kearney out shone Hogg but hasnt quite done enough to convince, with similar competition to Heaslip.
I think if Marshall gives a good account in the next few games he could go as a wild card choice.
He has made more clean brakes in one half than the rest of the inside centre contenders put together.
Thats if Darcy isnt recalled.DOH!
I wouldn't say Kearney outshone Hogg in any way, I thought Hogg was a far superior player on Sunday
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

In what way?
I dont even recall anything that noteworthy that Hogg did.
Kearney as I saw it was breaking tackles and fielding high balls starting to look like his old self.
Thats how I saw it but I was watching from the stands.
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

I agree about Hogg. I think he is being hyped up on the back of a couple of good tries he's been involved due to his pace. Apart from those I don't think he has done anything special.

Kearney however definitely needs to up his game.

Halfpenny is a cert at this stage for the test spot.