Darcy???

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Bellyups
Novice

Re: Darcy???

Post by Bellyups »

Not to sure what to make of that rant with its charming insult at the end.Was that an attempt at sarcasm the lowest form of wit? In his day Darcy was a good płayer but his day was 7 or 8 years ago. Unless you get the majority of posters to come on here and laud Darcy as the outstanding player you see him as. I would doubt it as any sane Ireland supporter I have spoken to in the last 7 years has seen him as a joke well best his best for a long long time.

This is a forum and it would be pretty boring if everyone agreed and posted the same things. There's no need though for the knee jerk reactions you seem to have for anyone you disagree with. If you can't handłe the truth don't bother reading or replying to my views. It amazes me how some Irish supporters have blinkers on with some Irish players and refuse to accept any criticism towards them.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Shan wrote:
Bellyups wrote:I must've been watching different Ireland games than some posters on here. Darcy has been awful for Ireland for the last 5 or 6 years. His continual selection for the last 3 years has been a joke.
Indeed. He was utter rubbish on Saturday as well. So bad that it took him going off to straighten out our faltering midfield defence which had already conceded 6 tries but then conceded not a single score thereafter....while at the same time we remained scoreless while he was on the pitch and then just could not stop scoring for fun in his absence such was the attacking spark added to our backline following his timely departure.

Not only should he never be selected for Ireland again but he probably should be on trial for crimes against the noble game of rugby union.

I watched a game on Saturday. Have I painted an accurate picture or was I watching a different game to Wales v Ireland?

Gwan to feck.

>TLGH
A solid defensive pillar but surely more is needed at this level. I don't think he had a hand in any of the Irish scores in fact he probably stayed out of the way which is a positive in attack. He's been a busted flush since his arm break a few seasons back. Wallace was never given a fair crack of the whip BUT I don't think we've had a decent 12 since D'Arcy got fat. Wallace was never the answer.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

rocky wrote:I just don't understand why some of you want to move BOD to 12 when he is possibly the best 13 in Europe still. Much as I would like to see Darren Cave there as well, I can't see DK doing that. I think McFadden is the best option against Downey(too slow), McSharry (too green), Marshall (injured), Paddy Wallace (on holiday) - no, wait………anyone got a phone??????
Agree with this as BOD has never looked comfortable when he has moved position,(thinking 2001 lions when they started him at full back).
He will do a job of course, I just dont believe he will be as effective as he yearns for the extra room afforded at 13 and any back 3 love picking lines off him.
Defensively he loves timing that out to in hit that he reads so well which does not occur so much at inside centre and he gets the turn overs on the outside where runners tend to be more isolated.

There are little alternatives to 12 of course due to DKs lack of development policy he has implemented since he has come in.
Due to this we have McFadden who is the favourite as he is BODS club mate but lacks the physicality to take on the English which has let him down in the past at this level.
Two physical players are Downey and McSharry.
Downey did well against Saracens early on in the season who contain several of the English backs but at his age will only be a stop gap.
McSharry is a young talent on fire this season but should have been looked at before now, due to the situation we are in more than any other reason.

I have always believed BOD would like to pick lines off a big off loading 12, a la Roberts on the last Lions tour.
For this reason and to combat the English physicality, I would like to see either Downey or McSharry selected.
Pointless discussion really as its going to be Earlsy isnt it?
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

BODOn his world record, 48-Test partnership with Gordon D'Arcy:

"He's a hugely important player in my game just because of the comfort that he gives me, particularly from a defensive point of view; he's the best defensive centre that I've played with in that department.

"He offers a lot more, he's been there for many, many years and seen a lot of situations.

"It's not that we have a case of telepathy but we don't always need to speak to one another to understand the body language and what each of us are doing so that always helps a player, be it a centre partner, a winger, a ten, the more you get to understand their mannerisms their ways, how they react to situations off the back of that."
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

Luke Marshall is the future at 12 for Ireland.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Bellyups wrote:Not to sure what to make of that rant with its charming insult at the end.Was that an attempt at sarcasm the lowest form of wit? In his day Darcy was a good płayer but his day was 7 or 8 years ago. Unless you get the majority of posters to come on here and laud Darcy as the outstanding player you see him as. I would doubt it as any sane Ireland supporter I have spoken to in the last 7 years has seen him as a joke well best his best for a long long time.

This is a forum and it would be pretty boring if everyone agreed and posted the same things. There's no need though for the knee jerk reactions you seem to have for anyone you disagree with. If you can't handłe the truth don't bother reading or replying to my views. It amazes me how some Irish supporters have blinkers on with some Irish players and refuse to accept any criticism towards them.
Eh? That was neither a rant, nor did it contain an insult at the end. Do you mean my "Gwan to feck"...That is not an insult. Check my posts and you will see I add this a fair bit, probably ridiculously but shur we are the way we are don't ya know so.

All my post was for was to highlight the difference in the Irish performance both with and without Darcy. It is my version of a stat.....questionable to an extent due to other variables but undeniable all the same....unlike the type of stats most like to buy into.

Or to put it another way, a counter-argument based on documented evidence rather than me just saying "I don't agree with you" or "I think he's great" without referencing a particular reason for that opinion which ultimately leads to a stalemate.....In other words I was endeavouring to engage in debate with some facts to go with both of our interpretations / positions / opinion etc etc....

But I suppose that type of wit is just not up to the mark.....talking of little insults....... :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
mea97mb
Squire

Post by mea97mb »

Jackie Brown wrote:A solid defensive pillar but surely more is needed at this level. I don't think he had a hand in any of the Irish scores in fact he probably stayed out of the way which is a positive in attack. He's been a busted flush since his arm break a few seasons back. Wallace was never given a fair crack of the whip BUT I don't think we've had a decent 12 since D'Arcy got fat. Wallace was never the answer.
As far as I remember (a few pints were had though) it was D'Arcy's dummy run that fixed Davies which in turn created the space for BOD to run into and provide the scoring pass to Zebo for the 1st try. Sometimes its what you do without the ball that is more effective that what you do with it.
Bellyups
Novice

Post by Bellyups »

Shan wrote:
Bellyups wrote:Not to sure what to make of that rant with its charming insult at the end.Was that an attempt at sarcasm the lowest form of wit? In his day Darcy was a good płayer but his day was 7 or 8 years ago. Unless you get the majority of posters to come on here and laud Darcy as the outstanding player you see him as. I would doubt it as any sane Ireland supporter I have spoken to in the last 7 years has seen him as a joke well best his best for a long long time.

Eh? That was neither a rant, nor did it contain an insult at the end. Do you mean my "Gwan to feck"...That is not an insult. Check my posts and you will see I add this a fair bit, probably ridiculously but shur we are the way we are don't ya know so.

All my post was for was to highlight the difference in the Irish performance both with and without Darcy. It is my version of a stat.....questionable to an extent due to other variables but undeniable all the same....unlike the type of stats most like to buy into.

Or to put it another way, a counter-argument based on documented evidence rather than me just saying "I don't agree with you" or "I think he's great" without referencing a particular reason for that opinion which ultimately leads to a stalemate.....In other words I was endeavouring to engage in debate with some facts to go with both of our interpretations / positions / opinion etc etc....

But I suppose that type of wit is just not up to the mark.....talking of little insults....... :D
Why is someone from Limerick on the Ulster forums so much? When you're not digging turnips and turf I wouldn't have thought you would have the time to waste debating Ulster rugby. I suppose the internet is a new craze down there and you probably dont have a rugby website of your own yet. You never know, once Broadband hits down there you might be able to set one up yourself lol

:red: :red: :red:
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Bellyups wrote:

Why is someone from Limerick on the Ulster forums so much? When you're not digging turnips and turf I wouldn't have thought you would have the time to waste debating Ulster rugby. I suppose the internet is a new craze down there and you probably dont have a rugby website of your own yet. You never know, once Broadband hits down there you might be able to set one up yourself lol

:red: :red: :red:

Oh well such a pity but I guess this was bound to happen at some stage.

Not to worry. I will ask my dear friend to walk with you.
Foxy
Novice

Post by Foxy »

Shan is a very respected contributor to this forum and his views are generally very well reasoned. I for one enjoy Shans input because it is good to hear the view of non Ulster supporters.
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

So Bellyups, it has taken you the grand total of 10 posts on this board to be offensive and insulting to one of the most respected contributors on the forum. Mind you, that post was pretty well in keeping with the other nine, so maybe we have to give you a fool's pardon.
If you care to use your eyes and intellect, you will see that he has been a member of the forum for well over four years and has contributed mightily to the sensible, non-confrontational debate that usually happens when most of us are talking about any aspect of rugby, provincial and international.
Because of the way he conducts himself, I think you will find he has nothing but well-earned respect from pretty well every other contributor, before your unwelcome intervention.
I suggest that you should be a big person and offer a sincere apology to Shan or get off this board. You have embarrassed yourself and, more to the point, embarrassed the rest of us.
Bo***cks to Brexit
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

rocky wrote:So Bellyups, it has taken you the grand total of 10 posts on this board to be offensive and insulting to one of the most respected contributors on the forum. Mind you, that post was pretty well in keeping with the other nine, so maybe we have to give you a fool's pardon.
If you care to use your eyes and intellect, you will see that he has been a member of the forum for well over four years and has contributed mightily to the sensible, non-confrontational debate that usually happens when most of us are talking about any aspect of rugby, provincial and international.
Because of the way he conducts himself, I think you will find he has nothing but well-earned respect from pretty well every other contributor, before your unwelcome intervention.
I suggest that you should be a big person and offer a sincere apology to Shan or get off this board. You have embarrassed yourself and, more to the point, embarrassed the rest of us.
Well said Rocky! And I say this as a turf digging turnip harvesting Cavan Ulsterman!! :fleg:
Hope is not a strategy.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Ye see I had replied to Bellyups in similar fashion, but my rebuke had nothing else to add, so I didn't bother. 10/10 >appl
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Don't want this thread to degenerate into a Shan love in, but he's certainly one of the best informed and interesting contributors on here. I always think other province's fans add to a message board, which is why I used to enjoy posting on MF, spreading the love.

Now, feck away aff Bellyups...
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Thanks folks. I appreciate the kind words. What would I do without my occasional visits to this wonderful place. © Fermain. :D

Now though......It looks from the IRFU site all the players are available for consideration, although SOB seems to have sat out training. I am glad to see Darcy seems to be OK as I am about all the players......though that does not mean I would necessarily select the same starting team for this game if it was my decision.