Long Memories

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Long Memories

Post by Shan »

Just thinking about Neil's point in one of the threads today about questioning of a decision from 12 years ago. We are gas really as we do find it hard to forget things, especially the bad stuff, from years gone by. Sometimes we just get bogged down in this stuff and like to replay over and over all the perceived and some real misdeeds against us. I am as bad as anybody for that.

Anyway in this clip you can see a Q&A session in Cork from 2010 with Tommy Bowe, ROG and Wally answering the questions. At about the 4 minute mark there is a question from a guy who doesn't want to let the past go. ROG and the rest get a bit of a laugh off it anyway although ROG apparently doesn't remember the minute details of H Cup Finals such as the year they were in as well as some of us do. :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV3aruso9Ds
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Re: Long Memories

Post by Hans Indaruck »

Shan wrote:Just thinking about Neil's point in one of the threads today about questioning of a decision from 12 years ago. We are gas really as we do find it hard to forget things, especially the bad stuff, from years gone by. Sometimes we just get bogged down in this stuff and like to replay over and over all the perceived and some real misdeeds against us. I am as bad as anybody for that.

Anyway in this clip you can see a Q&A session in Cork from 2010 with Tommy Bowe, ROG and Wally answering the questions. At about the 4 minute mark there is a question from a guy who doesn't want to let the past go. ROG and the rest get a bit of a laugh off it anyway although ROG apparently doesn't remember the minute details of H Cup Finals such as the year they were in as well as some of us do. :D :D

Shan,

He probably also has difficulty in remembering his quote during the 2011 RWC when he said he'd be finished with the Irish team "in a few weeks"!! :stir:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1PpnSAQxHg
Hope is not a strategy.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Won't let it go after just 8 years?

Yer average Irishman won't let it go after 800 :lol:

It's well seein' he's a septic.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

With Ireland, I think the problem is that there are so many "what ifs" that would have meant so much more success in recent years; or at least, so many "what ifs" that people perceive would have been the difference between another second place / Triple Crown and a couple more Grandslams. Whilst there's Guy Easterby back in 2001, where this all start, there was Boss / no O'Driscoll back in 2007 against France, as well that comes to mind as another example. I think there's always that reason or idea that things could have been better with Ireland. And of course, they could have and really probably should have been better but the reasons for those failings and the things we remember are entirely different.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Amateurs :lol: 8 years isn't a memory, its as fresh as last week. :D

I am sure if I think about it I could get an earlier example but I was in Paris on honeymoon in 1980 and was ideally placed to see Freddie McLennan score a try just wide of the French posts. Sadly the ref didn't see it & of course TMO's were no even a thought then. Ireland lost the match by a point 19-18 I think.

I actually have a great recall of happier memories, Ken Goodall's legendary try on 14th March 1970 against Wales from the half-way line. Ray McLoughlin's try in Ireland's 1st win in Paris in Decades in 1972 & Kevin Flynn's late winner under the posts against England at Twickenham the same year.

I could go on but many of you won't know the names ................... bloody young people :shock:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Trevor Brennan - lest we forget.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Shan wrote:Just thinking about Neil's point in one of the threads today about questioning of a decision from 12 years ago. We are gas really as we do find it hard to forget things, especially the bad stuff, from years gone by. Sometimes we just get bogged down in this stuff and like to replay over and over all the perceived and some real misdeeds against us. I am as bad as anybody for that.

As a player ROG has an excuse as he has to be in the mindset of preparing for the next big game or tournament, not affording himself time and luxury for reflection.
Wait until he retires and he will become a reminiscing bar stool like the rest of us.