Lions squad announcement

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

AndyB
Warrior Chief

Re: Lions squad announcement

Post by AndyB »

If that knob Hartley is in the test side I don't know if I can want that team to win.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Ah well Sky Sports subscription cancelled until next HEC pool time again.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Rory Best's omission is a complete joke. Absolutely devastated for him.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
tommyblue
Novice

Post by tommyblue »

Gatland could do with a day off
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

I had a feeling that Rory Best was playing himself off the Lions over the last few months due to lineout difficulties that seemed to keep on coming up. Sorry for him.
Murray probably played himself on to the Lions especially in the Quins match.
Nine Irish Lions is a very impressive tally. I would have thought four or five after the 6N. It certainly shows that the Irish team was way less than the sum of its parts in the 6N. A fitting indictment of Declan Kidney's era.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

That's some reward for being an absolute scumbag.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

mikerob wrote:FB
0.5p
Hogg
Kearney

Wing
Bowe
Cuthbert
Maitland
North

Centre
J Davies
BOD
Roberts
Tuliagi

OH
Farrell
Sexton

SH
Murray
Phillips
B Youngs

Prop
Cole
Healy
Jenkins
A Jones
Stevens
Vunipola

Hooker
Hartley
Hibbard
Youngs

2nd row
I Evans
R Gray
AW Jones
POC
Parling

BR
Croft
Faletau
Heaslip
Lydiate
SOB
Tipuric
Warburton
I have to admit, my heart skipped a beat when I read that!
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Saddened by Hartley

Greenwood shocked by Stevens and Hartley
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Matt Stevens, Jonathan Davies, Conor Murray, Dylan Hartley, Dan Lydiate. All very questionable selections especially the Welsh two. Gatland said that 6N form and club form since have been key. Lydiate missed the 6N and has been average since. He was superb last year, but not this. Davies had a poor 6N. It seems being Welsh is an advantage especially if you play in France. Sheridan should have been in that squad.
DHK
Steward

Post by DHK »

Utterly gutted for Rory. Cannot believe that tube Hartley has been picked ahead of him. Lydiate is a poor choice, done nothing since returning from injury. Purely picked on reputation
Binman
Novice

Post by Binman »

Whilst I feel for Rory his poor throwing has cost him. Hartley being selected adds insult...
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

I expected one or two surprises, but not in the guises of Conor Murray & Tom Croft.

When you step back and think about it, Rory lost the spot himself during the 6Ns, Scotland match probably. If he had of put in a shoft or two like he did in the RDS a month ago he'd have walked on the plane. Disappointed for him but his throwing has been poor too often this season. The fact that its Hartley who got his place, well that just makes me feel like I did when Sarries beat Ulster with a Chris Ashton swan dive!

Hard to say with confidence that a squad not containing Jenkins or Shreridan is better even with an extra week of bonding/training.
Harold7
Warrior

Post by Harold7 »

Snipe Watson wrote:Matt Stevens, Jonathan Davies, Conor Murray, Dylan Hartley, Dan Lydiate. All very questionable selections especially the Welsh two. Gatland said that 6N form and club form since have been key. Lydiate missed the 6N and has been average since. He was superb last year, but not this. Davies had a poor 6N. It seems being Welsh is an advantage especially if you play in France. Sheridan should have been in that squad.
You would barely have known Lydiate was on the pitch against us two weeks ago and as bad as the Dragons were Felatau still managed to stand out. Lydiate was and will be a great player again, I suppose he has a few games to get up to speed though.

Hartley over Best is just offensive and has actually left me seething.

1 Ulster player and 6 Leinster players in the squad. Without getting ahead of ourselves I'd just love it, absolutely love it if we beat the Mexicans in the Pro 12 final in 3 weeks time.
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

Genuinely shocked at the omission of Rory - he fully deserved to be there. That is devastating.

Hartley what an absolute joke :thumbdown:
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

To be honest, like most coach selections, you can't apply totally logical selection criteria to the team as a coach will pick certain players who he likes, irrespective of current form.

Richie Gray would have been guaranteed this time 12 months ago but recent form hasn't been good.

Murray is Phillips-lite, but Gatland likes that type of player.

I'm surprised about Hartley because of his reputation as a "divisive" player and the Lions need to gel as a squad immediately.

Just too many line-out implosions for both Ireland and Ulster over the last 6 months for Rory to get the nod and Gatland is an ex-hooker so must have a view on these things...