Ireland V Scotland

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Re: Ireland V Scotland

Post by Spiffsson »

Dublin4 wrote:mention of ROG and Shaggy reminds me of one other development of significance at the weekend, namely the showing up of that imposter, Hook, by ROG and O'Shea on the telly.
Hook was a nervous wreck reduced to spouting on about Richard Sharp playing for England in 1960 etc when faced with the technical and informed analysis of the other two on Saturday.
The sooner RTE shove George off to the breakers yard the better. Contrariness doesn't do it anymore.
Yes. They should go the whole hog and shove McGurk and Pope with him too.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dublin4 wrote:
Do I detect a lessening of the suspicion of Schmidt on this forum?
Only a clown could fail to recognise that Joe is quality and Ireland are fortunate to have him.
Dublin4 wrote:
The sooner RTE shove George off to the breakers yard the better. Contrariness doesn't do it anymore.
George brings a hint of satire to proceedings and should be retained. McGurk is a weapons grade crozier and should be stoned, burned and stoned again.

As for your defence of BOD, he had an OK game on Sunday, but by his standards he was AWOL in attack.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

I am an unashamed disciple of Schmidt and I think his selections and use of the bench were bang on and a refreshing change from DKs bewildering selection policies from no changes at all to throwing people in willy nilly.
Gatland for once will be up against an Irish coach who will try and fight him tactically and react in accordance to what they are looking to do.

DK was in Gatlands pocket as he never changed or adapted his style of play in accordance to what the opposition were doing.
We have to be physical but clever at the same time with varying angles of attack unlike the one out blugeoning approach we usually do which is meat and drink to them.

Defensively in the backs we could struggle as we do against their power so BOD and Darcy are no brainers as our best defensive pairing.
I am sure ATs selection last week was with one eye on him playing the welsh as he is our most physical back who has done well against North in the past.
MattMo
Initiate

Post by MattMo »

My problem with declan kidney last year was mostly his inability to bring subs on dependant on any tactic, or if a player was off their game. I remember watching an hour of ireland last year where idiotic decision after idiotic decision was being made by earls, and he subbed off gilroy...
it was baffling.
Schmidt knows what he wants more than just the 23 on the pitch and bench to do. He's developed Leinster into a 32 man squad, and I hope he does the same for ireland.
Payne to play 13 for Leinster or 15 for Ulster
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

MattMo wrote:My problem with declan kidney last year was mostly his inability to bring subs on dependant on any tactic, or if a player was off their game. I remember watching an hour of ireland last year where idiotic decision after idiotic decision was being made by earls, and he subbed off gilroy...
it was baffling.
Schmidt knows what he wants more than just the 23 on the pitch and bench to do. He's developed Leinster into a 32 man squad, and I hope he does the same for ireland.
I'm taking this simply as the last post rather than "picking on" you Matt.

Memories are very short at times & reference to Kidney last year are all well & good but I will state this to jog a few memories.

Game 1, Ireland beat Wales but shipped a huge number of injuries in a brutal 2nd half

Games 2 - 5 The injuries kept coming and the selection was so limited that even a clearly out of touch & just returned from a long injury, the appallingly poor Fitzgerald was wheeled in, it really was that bad.

When the time came to get rid of Deccie, I felt a tad sorry for him because his job was clearly on the line & he lost major player after major player to injury. He needed to go but fate dealt him a kitty hand last 6Ns.

There now, carry on chaps. :D
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

bazzaj wrote:I am an unashamed disciple of Schmidt and I think his selections and use of the bench were bang on and a refreshing change from DKs bewildering selection policies from no changes at all to throwing people in willy nilly.
Gatland for once will be up against an Irish coach who will try and fight him tactically and react in accordance to what they are looking to do.

DK was in Gatlands pocket as he never changed or adapted his style of play in accordance to what the opposition were doing.
We have to be physical but clever at the same time with varying angles of attack unlike the one out blugeoning approach we usually do which is meat and drink to them.

Defensively in the backs we could struggle as we do against their power so BOD and Darcy are no brainers as our best defensive pairing.
I am sure ATs selection last week was with one eye on him playing the welsh as he is our most physical back who has done well against North in the past.
Jizzer, barring your amnesia about what a crisis Deccie actually faced from game 1 last season, I agree with almost the whole shootin' match there, including the 3 names in the threequarters with AD to complete the line. AD worries me a little against a giant winger given how he struggled with Denton.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
bazzaj wrote:I am an unashamed disciple of Schmidt and I think his selections and use of the bench were bang on and a refreshing change from DKs bewildering selection policies from no changes at all to throwing people in willy nilly.

Jizzer, barring your amnesia about what a crisis Deccie actually faced from game 1 last season, I agree with almost the whole shootin' match there, including the 3 names in the threequarters with AD to complete the line. AD worries me a little against a giant winger given how he struggled with Denton.
There was probably a weight difference of 3-4 st there Bob and Denton had a little head of steam up close to the line. A matter of physics/momentum etc. I would not be too hard on him. He slowed him up until reinforcements arrived.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

PoM is getting the abuse over Denton over on score

sent from my crozier
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

PoM put all his eggs in one basket he focused on the disruption of the Scottish scrum and forgot to protect the corner .

The disruption of the scrum had been achieved and should have been left to the front 5 to complete.

It is the one reason I have doubts as to PoM as an International he can become distracted be it physical confrontation or whatever and lose focus on his primary task which as back row of team with out possession is defence. His tackle stats are low because he leaves tackling to others an seeks the glory of the turn over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Appreciate there was an injury crisis last season Bagster but that is where a coach has to call upon the resources he has built.
Schmidt used his bench on Saturday to give all his squad players a run.
Players had to be thrown in the year before because DK had not built a squad.
Think DKs one of biggest problems was not realising the modern game had evolved into a squad one and not a 15 man one.
That on the other hand is a real strength of Joes.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I always had the impression EoS and Dk saw substitutions as a means of giving squad bag holders a cap for being bag holders as so many substitutions were made at70 minutes+

Thus players with actually very Iittle game time had the appearance of International rugby experience because they had 6-10 caps but a total of 30 mins on the pitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist