English Muck fernest Sheepworrying Filth

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: English Muck fernest Sheepworrying Filth

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BR wrote:
Shan wrote: Oh and Welsh football supporters once booed their own national anthem when it was being played for the England Football team in Cardiff.
Many of us will remember the Scots booing (or, more accurately, whistling through) their own national anthem at Murrayfield.

One inaccuracy to be righted in this thread before someone mentions flegs. The Welsh anthem does have 'constitutional standing' alongside GSTQ. I expect the Scots will do similar if they can ever agree which song to promote.
Time & time again I try to allow people to understand that GSTQ, is not English, Scottish , Welsh nor Norn Ironish, it is the national anthem of the UK. That England chose to use it as their national anthem is partly down to their lack of imagination & partly, just up to them.

I am painfully aware that many here will see it as their national anthem, I don't, I neither want nor need a national anthem of any description. As a citizen of the UK, some may assert that it is my national anthem whether I like it or not, opinions of course are like arseholes as we all know.

However it is a pretty stupid premise to imagine that a Welshman or Scot will of necessity see GSTQ as "their" national anthem, particulary in the field of sporting endeavour.

I should therefore be most grateful if some or more would drop this ludicrous assertion that GSTQ is the anthem of any of the constituent countries of the UK, it belongs to the whole, but not the parts individually & nobody should feel they have the right to so ascribe it.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Shan wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Shan wrote:
Russ wrote:

Can we move Limerick to Wales and be done with it?
Get up the fecking yard biy.

Baggy- This is what a real outrage is.
You have my sympathies Shan, I have no problem with Limerick whatsoever.
You know what Baggy. One thing I wouldn't mind having is the Millennium Stadium but it is too high a price to pay to get it. :D
It is a magnificent stadium Shan, I'm not fond of many modern stadia, characterless concrete bowls by and large but the Milleneum is a superb stadium. The fact that it is built in a pretty tight space in the city centre is an achievement.

Not for Taffy the opera glasses required at Twickenham with the stands seemingly miles form the pitch. Not the souless ruin that Murrayfield is now & the destruction of the best playing surface in the championship for decades, one of the first sports fields with undersoil heating in the UK - an almost outrageously progressive decisions form traditionally the most conservative of Unions. No Aviva mess such as we find in Dublin, a tiny 20th century stadium for the 21st century. :roll:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
BR wrote:
Shan wrote: Oh and Welsh football supporters once booed their own national anthem when it was being played for the England Football team in Cardiff.
Many of us will remember the Scots booing (or, more accurately, whistling through) their own national anthem at Murrayfield.

One inaccuracy to be righted in this thread before someone mentions flegs. The Welsh anthem does have 'constitutional standing' alongside GSTQ. I expect the Scots will do similar if they can ever agree which song to promote.
Time & time again I try to allow people to understand that GSTQ, is not English, Scottish , Welsh nor Norn Ironish, it is the national anthem of the UK. That England chose to use it as their national anthem is partly down to their lack of imagination & partly, just up to them.
It was being played as their national anthem at the time (or perhaps more accurately that of Edinburgh)
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

tigerburnie wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
fuzzylogic wrote:
by rocky » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:56 pm

By their standard, the Triple Crown is about as good as winning Big Brother.
I agree with them on this issue. What is the point in Ireland beating Wales, England, and Scotland, only to fall against France and see them win the tournament.

The triple crown was great... when we only had a Four nations. Pointless in the modern game.
Correct fuzzy. The triple crown is the title that time forgot.
Unless you've just won it of course, beating your nearest and dearest rivals................................not worth doing is it?

Aye right, as they say round here......"ave it up ye*.............................. >EW
Incorrect burnie biy. If you can be bothered, be my guest and dredge back through this board you will find that my line has been 100% consistent.
The triple crown was a busted flush once France joined the 4N and once the Italians came to play, it became a relic of a bygone era.
What use is a trophy for winning 66.66% of your games?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BR wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
BR wrote:

It was being played as their national anthem at the time (or perhaps more accurately that of Edinburgh)
You reckon many subscribed to the thought it was their national anthem? It was the embarrassment to the SRU that drove the move to Flower of Scotland, damn few seemed to think it was their anthem.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

As for this triple crown is worthless routine, sad to see otherwise sane posters falling for this crap postulated by a couple of pustule journos.

I watch the build up on Saturday on RTE & Shaggy was interviewing BOD, try telling those guys its meaningless. :roll:
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
BR wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
BR wrote:

You reckon many subscribed to the thought it was their national anthem? It was the embarrassment to the SRU that drove the move to Flower of Scotland, damn few seemed to think it was their anthem.
Yes. Probably the majority of the people there at one time considered it to be the correct anthem to play. Opinions are like asreholes, they change with time.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:As for this triple crown is worthless routine, sad to see otherwise sane posters falling for this crap postulated by a couple of pustule journos.

I watch the build up on Saturday on RTE & Shaggy was interviewing BOD, try telling those guys its meaningless. :roll:
You can win three games and finish 3rd or even 4th in the championship. What flamin’ use is a bauble for that achievement?
Same as the clampit that said today that a slam is the only thing worth having. It’s about winning the championship. Anything else is either a bonus or a consolation.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BR wrote:

Have you a link for that. To the best of my knowledge none of the anthems in the UK, including GSTQ, have been offically declared as national anthems.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Snipe Watson wrote:What use is a trophy for winning 66.66% of your games?
60% surely, or is this the Mannix version of the 6N?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Incorrect burnie biy. If you can be bothered, be my guest and dredge back through this board you will find that my line has been 100% consistent.
The triple crown was a busted flush once France joined the 4N and once the Italians came to play, it became a relic of a bygone era.
What use is a trophy for winning 66.66% of your games?
They never should have created a trophy for it. It managed to survive for over 100 years without one.

It's about being best of British I guess similar to being selected for the British Lions. Probably still of some importance to the players. Some traditions die hard. But as we progress along with professionalism both will probably become less and less relevant.

Oh and if I was a British Taxpayer I would want a refund on the portion which paid for your mathematics lessons. :lol:
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Snipe Watson wrote: You can win three games and finish 3rd or even 4th in the championship. What flamin’ use is a bauble for that achievement?
Same as the clampit that said today that a slam is the only thing worth having. It’s about winning the championship. Anything else is either a bonus or a consolation.

Championship yes. That is what it is all about. Though that said England weren't overjoyed when they won the Championship in 2001. What a fecking day. I can't believe it is 13 years ago. I still remember as if it was yesterday on the terrace when England supporters starting singing "Swing Low" one of the Irish supporters shouting over "ah shove yer chariot up yer árse" :D :D

George Hook: Fecking brilliant- "Catch your chicken" :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vv_oK1BZCE
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

For me it is about 5 discreet matches (or 15 discreet matches in the wider sense) . The grand-slam is of next importance and the championship after that. The 3C is a little accolade that merits a mention in commentary, but of little significance beyond that. Agree about the trophies. No need other than for sponsors' photo opportunities. I can live with the Kolkata Kup, but as for the rest - burn them (wasn't there one made from coal at one time?)
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

big mervyn wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:What use is a trophy for winning 66.66% of your games?
60% surely, or is this the Mannix version of the 6N?
:duh: :duh: aye :lol:
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Put it this way, Ireland will be happier with winning the 6Ns (if they beat France) than England will be with the Triple Crown. Not meaningless, but a largely symbolic prize subordinate to the actual competition.
It's the hope that kills you.