Irel;and v France

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Re: Irel;and v France

Post by pythagoras »

mid ulster maestro wrote:Was it just me or did anyone else think the french try against the post was knocked on?
RTE post match didn't seem to be saying that, BBC during commentary were.
It was a very marginal knock on at worst, the ball was going vertically down next to the post. A knock-on by definition has to (I'm presuming) go forward.
If the ref got it wrong there then he arguably also got it wrong at the last scrum where france should have had a penalty.
Bottom line is that we should have taken the referee out of the equation.
Sexton's goal kicking was very far from good enough yesterday. The psychological damage that does to a team goes far beyond the missed 5 points.
Can't understand how newspapers are giving him motm ratings today.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Joe for the Lions
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

pythagoras wrote:
mid ulster maestro wrote:Was it just me or did anyone else think the french try against the post was knocked on?
RTE post match didn't seem to be saying that, BBC during commentary were.
It was a very marginal knock on at worst, the ball was going vertically down next to the post. A knock-on by definition has to (I'm presuming) go forward.
If the ref got it wrong there then he arguably also got it wrong at the last scrum where france should have had a penalty.
Bottom line is that we should have taken the referee out of the equation.
Sexton's goal kicking was very far from good enough yesterday. The psychological damage that does to a team goes far beyond the missed 5 points.
Can't understand how newspapers are giving him motm ratings today.
Probably some of your anti Ulster southern papers who couldn't bring themselves to give it to a nordie....... :thumleft:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
YES!

Called that at the time, but ref didn't go upstairs. It was as if he was simply concerned with where it was grounded, but in the melee, forgot to consider how it came to be there.
Me too, definitely dropped, might just have been gathered as it contacted the post & ground but should have been looked at by the TMO.

Walsh is to bothered about himself to worry amount minor details like is a try actually scored.

Mind you when he wanted to ignore the obvious forward pass at the end with his "but did it leave the hands backwards?" I was close to defecating masonry.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Walsh is to bothered about himself to worry amount minor details like is a try actually scored.
And that's why he didn't wait on the dithering TMO "he who controls himself controls the game".
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

shamalicious wrote:On another note, thought it was a nice touch that he (the French hooker whose name I can never remember or pronounce) gave Jonny Sexton a pat and a handshake as he was stretchered off. One of the small things that make me love rugby.
Teammates at Racing Shammy but yes, it was a decent touch. I thought most of the French at the end dealt well with their disappointment. Huget in particular caught my eye with BOD & a few others.

Good to see & of course is one of the great things about rugby that by & large has survived professionalism.

There are always exceptions of course like those graceless Scaaaaaaaaaaaalet lowlife on Friday night. They were a beaten docket yet at the arseend of the game that didn't stop them acting like the lowest pondlife in West Wales - I smile when I think of the tut tutting & noises of disgust at my antics on Scaalet Fever. I just don't like them, of all the Welsh regions I've met fewer decent Scaaaalet fans than any other. Others will have different experiences but they are a nasty bunch of low.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

pythagoras wrote:

Piarse, you seem to be a stranger to logic. Try to understand the following:

A player who is not himself touching the post, drops the ball. If he does gather it before or as it hits the ground & post, it must by any consideration have gone forward. Capiche?

You can argue all manner of bullshite Piarse, but that is pure honest logic and is undeniable. Repent & show you aren't the total arsewipe you've portrayed recently .

Save yourself from Chubedom Piarse.
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Or to put it politely, Py, the player lost possession of the ball, which hit the ground before he pushed it against the post. It was undoubtedly a knock-on and the try should not have been awarded.
Bo***cks to Brexit
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I thought it was good. While the hand behind the ball lost contact briefly, I did not see any evidence that the leading hand (the one in front of the ball) had at the same time.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote:I thought it was good. While the hand behind the ball lost contact briefly, I did not see any evidence that the leading hand (the one in front of the ball) had at the same time.
You could well be right BR, but I fail to see how you could have thought it was good! :duck:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Deraless wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Did anyone else think the (English) TMO was going to bottle the call on the forward pass before Steve Walsh, the world's best straight referee, made the call himself?
I was yellin FORWARD FORWARD at the TV and when I heard Walsh come of with something about did the hands go forward or did the ball drift forward I near keeked myself.

Call me simple but I think if the ball goes forward in any way it should be a forward pass.
Nah, yer not simple, just old fashioned
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Dublin4 wrote:
Joe was held in deep suspicion on this forum but has proved his quality.
He has more players to come in.
The future is bright for the sport that unites Irish people at this time of our National Holiday.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but ALL sports, with the exception of wendyball, are arranged on an all island basis. Perhaps the GAA games aren't unifiers and we're just keek at the rest?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
shamalicious wrote:On another note, thought it was a nice touch that he (the French hooker whose name I can never remember or pronounce) gave Jonny Sexton a pat and a handshake as he was stretchered off. One of the small things that make me love rugby.
Teammates at Racing Shammy but yes, it was a decent touch. I thought most of the French at the end dealt well with their disappointment. Huget in particular caught my eye with BOD & a few others.
They realised that the English didn't win the Championship and that was as good as beating Ireland
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

Snipe Watson wrote: Probably some of your anti Ulster southern papers who couldn't bring themselves to give it to a nordie....... :thumleft:
Sexton's goal kicking's didn't become ropey just yesterday, he's been dodgy for awhile. On the Lions Halfpenny was the kicker. As well as the missed kicks yesterday he barely made a conversion from in front of the posts. Clearly it's a psychological issue but if he doesn't sort that out we need someone else taking the goal kicks.
Also when you have someone with a decent left boot like Kearney why does Sexton insist on taking penalty kicks to touch on the right side and making not much ground?

BTW I wouldn't argue with Trimble, best or yer man trimble said he'd look like after severe facial damage, henry getting motm yesterday. BOD getting it was a nice touch from the French, undeserved though it was.

BTW2 fcukoff fartpants
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

In the stadium, Basteraud was awarded motm by the French announcer before the end.
Maybe English speaking tv does a different version.

Cap n grumpy, sorry I was forgetting that golf/ tennis/ hockey blah blah was unified....
Sorry to be so forgetful on the day that was in it but you know what I mean?