Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Summer Tour 2014

Post by Russ »

Shan wrote:
Russ wrote:

Crozier is no longer a viable option in international rugby

He had a swansong this year, but has been dire since 08

Nonsense. He is still the best 12 in Ireland and by a clear margin both at club level and international level.

Then we have no 12s in Ireland

I'd rather Madigan played 12 with his severe lack of defence than thon ballroot
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Russ wrote:

No. He was the best 12 in the 6N apart from Fofana and he is the best 12 in the Rabo.

We do have 12's. Marshall, even in a disappointing year, competes easily with the rest of the Rabo.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Shan wrote:Hi Neil- When I said 100% team players I meant 100% committed. Earls shows this in defence as much as anybody in the game and so does Trimble. Both look for work all the time and it is very rare anybody(I am only talking about those who actually know what they are looking at such as your good self) could level a charge against either for not putting everything they've got into a performance.

That Earls falls short sometimes in terms of his offensive play can be put down to a few factors, desperation to drive on his team when they are struggling to make the breakthrough, unacceptably poor coaching, unacceptable support runs from his team mates and sometimes just poor decision making or whiteline fever from Earls himself. He is nowhere near perfect and I have no desire to paint him as near that, which I'm sure you know anyway. However when I see Earls lining up at least I know that while he may make some errors and run up some blind alleys he won't go missing in the game and he won't shirk any required and sometimes mammoth defensive work which unfortuntely cannot always be said of everybody.

I do think what Earls needs more than anything is an extended and injury-free run in his best position and some direction from a good coaching team.

The actual perfect situation for me would be if we could somehow fit all of Bowe, Trimble and Earls on the same team but with all only playing on the wing. They are the three best wingers in Ireland in terms of the full package. Oh and I know we can only play two wingers at a time. What a pity. :D
Shan, hard to argue with much of that. I suspect with Earls what is needed, more than anything, is a little maturity. Hopefully, he's now at the age to develop that and to realise that he can't always do everything by himself.

Oh and the only logical way to fit Earls in along with Trimble and Bowe is to play him at 15, which I still feel to be Earls' most natural position. Suspect that's just me, though... It's hard to argue with successive Munster coaches, though. I suspect there's a reason why I'm posting on the internet and they're coaching rugby teams. I'm sure, one day, I'll find out why!
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Neil

Trimble went to CAI where he played centre and due to his size was a successful one but when leaving school and trying to play centre at QUB was relatively successful until like many before him the opposition got to know his game similarly Ireland had a 13 and EOS wanted wings and again he was initially successful until the opposition realised how green he was when playing on the wing but he always had commitment and a good rugby brain just lacked experience as a wing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

rumncoke wrote:Neil

Trimble went to CAI where he played centre and due to his size was a successful one but when leaving school and trying to play centre at QUB was relatively successful until like many before him the opposition got to know his game similarly Ireland had a 13 and EOS wanted wings and again he was initially successful until the opposition realised how green he was when playing on the wing but he always had commitment and a good rugby brain just lacked experience as a wing

Never played for QUB,he played for ballymena.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

kingofthehill wrote:

He played his first number of matches for Ulster at centre. He beat Biarritz single handedly playing at 13. Or did I imagine it?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Anybody got details of TV coverage for the 2 tests?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

RTE and Sky
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

damianmcr wrote:RTE and Sky
So RTE will be blocked here if you don't have Sky Sports ...
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Unless you have a Freeview HD box or Saorview box that will pick up RTE.

It will be blocked on RTE on Sky up here.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Sniper - def beat Toulouse on his own

Anscombe Out
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Snipe Watson wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:

He played his first number of matches for Ulster at centre. He beat Biarritz single handedly playing at 13. Or did I imagine it?
I think he did play 13 in Ulsters blue kit but I don't think they won the game. I vividly remember him cutting through the middle from his own half and getting caught just before the line.He was called up for his 1st test against OZ after that performance (BOD injured).
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Shan wrote:
Russ wrote:

No. He was the best 12 in the 6N apart from Fofana and he is the best 12 in the Rabo.

We do have 12's. Marshall, even in a disappointing year, competes easily with the rest of the Rabo.

He's having some game today :duck:
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Ruan selected
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Russ wrote:Ruan selected
What, his choice from the menu?