Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: New Zealand Would Have Toured Nazi Germany

Post by BR »

Russ wrote:
BR wrote:
Russ wrote:I don't see why those A matches cannot be denoted as test matches.

They are playing the tier 2 test side.

Bit like the so called wolf hounds in eastern europe this summer. Could easily have been classed as test matches

Easterby Out
But they are NOT the test team!

For example when Emerging Ireland were playing in Romania, our test side was in Argentina. (and the Wolfhounds were mosty in rehab ;) )
So?

Teams play weakened all the time.

This is the team Ireland chose to send, that's all

Easterby Out
Would they have sent that side if:

1) They hadn't also got a squad in Argentina
2) The match had been dsignated a test match and a defeat would be unacceptable(not so likely in the case of Emerging Ireland in Nations Cup as they were still dominant, but for the likes of Emerging Italy)

The concept of playing A and development sides is a long and (IMHO) a good one. I'd just like to see those counties that can afford it, doing more of it.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BR wrote:
Russ wrote:
BR wrote:

Bit like the so called wolf hounds in eastern europe this summer. Could easily have been classed as test matches

Easterby Out

For example when Emerging Ireland were playing in Romania, our test side was in Argentina. (and the Wolfhounds were mosty in rehab ;) )
So?

Easterby Out

2) The match had been dsignated a test match and a defeat would be unacceptable(not so likely in the case of Emerging Ireland in Nations Cup as they were still dominant, but for the likes of Emerging Italy)

The concept of playing A and development sides is a long and (IMHO) a good one. I'd just like to see those counties that can afford it, doing more of it.
If they play other development sides

Playing an A side against a full test side in my opinion is massively disrespectful

Easterby Out
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Russ wrote:
BR wrote:
Russ wrote:
BR wrote:

Easterby Out

So?

Easterby Out

If they play other development sides

Playing an A side against a full test side in my opinion is massively disrespectful

Easterby Out
We're talking about lower tier 2 and tier 3 nations playing in tournaments designed to develop their teams.

Sending a weakened/development side and pretending it is a test side is IMHO more disrespectful.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I believe I attended Ireland's first ever B international in the late 70 s or early 80 s. They were then elevated to A internationals only to be downgraded to Wolfies after bloody England decided to become Saxons.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote:I believe I attended Ireland's first ever B international in the late 70 s or early 80 s. They were then elevated to A internationals only to be downgraded to Wolfies after bloody England decided to become Saxons.
Strange in a way that England would take that name. They could have just gone for the England Germans altogether as it is pretty much the same thing.

On the other hand we could have taken the name Britons as most of us have more historical right to that than many of those in England.

So England Germans v Ireland Britons. Now that would be fun. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

We could also claim 'Scots' :)
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Scottish Power are a load of banker

Easterby Out