Greatest ever xv

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Greatest ever xv

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:The end... before this rolls on and on.
You like the last word eh? Me too.

You like to negotiate as you go along. Me too. I'm an attorney, that's what we do, renegotiate. >EW

I have no problem with anything you said barring the word "touristy", barring that we have no issues, at least I don't, still think you should avoid big cities in the summer .............. ach sure maybe you're like me, no real alternatives. >EW

Oh and I meant the "fu@king world traveller" remark kindly, travel is good as long as it's out of this shitehole. Quite ironic the fact that some :oman: appear to believe they could make the Twalfth, "touristy".

Do you walk on the Twalfth? No I feckin' run, faster than at any other time of year :roll:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote:You see if you guys had bothered to read what was written, nowhere do I decry visiting cities, I'm off this day 2 weeks to visit Cordoba for a couple of days en route to my hovel. On the way back I'll stay a night in Granada, about my fifth or sixth visit there and both are likely to be swarming with tourists. Some may even buy snowglobes of the Alhambra or the Mezquita, though I expect to have me baws scorched August being a roaster in both places.

Not the issue, I've helpfully suggested a couple of places for relative solitude, should that be what you want, however my sole argument is don't go somewhere where you're guaranteed throngs of folk at this time of year & then use the "touristy" word.

And given an earlier reply it would appear that Snipe is a "Fu@king world traveller".

Yerra tis nathin to be getting all worked up about anyway. Go n-éiri an bóthar leat a chara. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

A fine sentiment young man. :thumleft:

May the sun always brighten your countenance & the wind blow softly at your back, may your misfortunes be minor, may you never make your bed out in the cold, except by choice. May you never awake beside a baste of a woman, may your pint pot never run dry, and in times off trouble & lousy strife, may rashers grease your pan and a few bob in the pocket for a pint of plain, it's your only man:D

May your invisible friend guide your own good intentions & make them flourish and may he cause the hairs on the arses of your foes turn to drumsticks and bate the livin' shyte out of them.

Amen. :shock:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
lw7
Novice

Post by lw7 »

As this whole topic is pure fantasy How about a cross code dual with the following players I've watched play league -

1 Crusher Cleal, 2 Anthony Watmough, 3 Dave Taylor, 4 Gordon Tallis, 5 Brad Thorn, 6 Luke Lewis / Sam Thaiday, 7 Matt Scott, 8 Sam Burgess
9 Andrew Johns/ Shaun Edwards, 10 Wally Lewis / Jonathan Thurston, 11 Martin Offiah / Jason Robinson, 12 Mal Meninga / SBW, 13 Ellery Hanley, 14 Greg Inglis, 15 Israel Falou / Billy Slater
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Scott Quinnell and Scott Gibbs
lw7
Novice

Post by lw7 »

Two more cross coders and this team would be rolling!
Meninga was a league Freak. As powerful as Gibbs but with more playmaking abilities.
If cross coders weren't allowed in this team I'd replace Thorn with Petero Civoniceva.
Equally Jarrod Hayne would easily fit into the team awaywhere from 13 - 15.
Jonathan Davies Snr said that Johns was the greatest player he ever played against in either code.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Watched quite a bit of Maninga when he was with St Helens for a season. Amazing player and no coincidence that Saints enjoyed their only successful season in a lengthy barren spell.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Union tends to look down and league as a poor relation but I would say the Wigan side from the mid 80s till the mid 90s was just about the greatest club side either code has produced from these shores.

Traditionally forwards find more difficulty in adapting to either code than backs, probably for more obvious technical reasons so I think that Brad Thorn has to be considered up there as the most successful convert.
I have little doubt that Andrew Johns and Maninga would have been great union players for that reason.

We cant have a conversation about great rugby league players without mentioning Darren Lockyer.
Think he just might have made it as well.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Union has ever right to look down on summer boshfest

Easterby Out
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Thing is Russ I love boshfests!
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

bazzaj wrote:Thing is Russ I love boshfests!
You must have a BT spory subscription to the so called Aviva Premiership

Easterby Out
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Sadly not.
Got the hump with BT as need a to re-mortgage just to afford to watch sport on TV.
lw7
Novice

Post by lw7 »

bazzaj wrote:We cant have a conversation about great rugby league players without mentioning Darren Lockyer.
Bazzaj, Unlike some on this forum you are no fool >EW. Darren Lockyer was one of the most intelligent players ever to play RL. His ability to pick the right option on the final tackle was peerless. It makes me smile when Stuart Barnes occasionally refers to a 'Darren Lockyer' (money ball on the gain line that disects an opposition) in union commentary.
I just think that Thurston would be more suited to a 10 role than Lockyer. Union is so position specific especially in the halves.
Remember Mat Rogers grappling with test level union at 10 for Australia?

Sam Burgess. Stuart Lancaster wants him to play 12. Mike Ford in todays Times "My gut feeling is that He'll end up in the back row".

Matt Scott has the body shape and power game to make a world beating openside. It's just ARU don't need one at present and the Cowboys are my NRL team >EW

Les Kiss would make a great team coach for cross coders having played alongside Cleal, Lewis and Meninga in the Roos 1986 team.

PS Russ, Very few of the best RL players ply their trade in second rate Super league, so go and boil your head mate :banghead:
Last edited by lw7 on Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

lw7 wrote:
bazzaj wrote:We cant have a conversation about great rugby league players without mentioning Darren Lockyer.
Bazzaj, Unlike some on this forum you are no fool >EW. Darren Lockyer was one of the most intelligent players ever to play RL. His ability to pick the right option on the final tackle was peerless. It makes me smile when Stuart Barnes occasionally refers to a 'Darren Lockyer' (money ball on the gain line that disects an opposition) in union commentary.
I just think that Thurston would be more suited to a 10 role than Lockyer. Union is so position specific especially in the halves.

Sam Burgess. Stuart Lancaster wants him to play 12. Mike Ford in todays Times "My gut feeling is that He'll end up in the back row".

Matt Scott has the body shape and power game to make a world beating openside. It's just Australia don't need one at present and the Cowboys are my NRL team >EW

Les Kiss would make a great team coach for cross coders having played alongside Cleal, Lewis and Meninga in the Roos 1986 team.

PS Russ, Very few of the best RL players ply their trade in second rate Super league, so go and boil your head mate :banghead:
Boshfest 2k14

Easterby Out
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

lw7 wrote:

Matt Scott has the body shape and power game to make a world beating openside. It's just ARU don't need one at present and the Cowboys are my NRL team >EW

Cheers lw7 but I would have DL as a 15 every time.
I can still remember (against England I think) his on handed over the shoulder pressure take from a high ball.
An incredible bit of confidence and skill.

Always think that we never saw the best out of some of the great players coming across to union like Andy Farrell as it was hard to pin down what position they was actually suited to.

Would love to see Ryan Hall at union who would very definately be a wing.
I am a huge fan of his and think he would be fantastic.