Waste of a good Fiver?

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Waste of a good Fiver?

Post by Shan »

I remember the first time I bought 10 fags for myself- 10 John Player Blue- in 1987 they were 91p. Got fags and matches for less than a IR£1. Now 20 fags is over £9.

Fecking 'ell how do people afford it these days. When I think in my height of smoking days I could get through 30 a day. That would have been around 2000.

* I do remember the first time I ever smoked though was a few years before that as an 8 year old. I remember finding 20 Major on the road down in Cork one summer and I got myself some matches and smoked a couple of them. My sister, a year younger than I am, was with me and was horrified at it all. Of course I didn't know what I was supposed to do with them and hated the taste but pretended otherwise. Fecking Major. Jaynee. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Rooster wrote:Should be made work for unemployment benefits, pick litter brush roads etc
What are all the community service louts going to do then?
Let them clean the sewers with their bare hands :thumleft:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Rooster wrote:
Worse still make 'em have to read through all the shíte posted here all day. That'll teach 'em. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

big mervyn wrote:The Historical Enquiries team need to look into this one.

"Concerning notes, the Currency and Bank Notes Act 1928 says If any
person prints, or stamps, or by any means impresses, on any bank note
any words, letters or figures, he shall, in respect of each offence,
be liable on summary conviction to a penalty not exceeding one pound.
The penalty was changed to £25 in 1977 (Criminal Law Act, s.31) and to
£200 in 1982 (Criminal Justice Act, s.46)."

Everybody who signed seems to be potentially liable for a fine of £1, the maximum penalty when the alleged offences were committed.
Good luck getting the money from the guys, they would all be 60 plus but they'd bate the scrote off some wee Revenue lackey. :thumleft:
Last edited by BaggyTrousers on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Rooster wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Rooster wrote:Should be made work for unemployment benefits, pick litter brush roads etc
What are all the community service louts going to do then?
Actually such a scheme existed, my Da worked in the Treasury (presumably Dept of Finance these days) and they came up with a scheme that spawned Enterprise Ulster, they took on about 10000 unemployed punters and they did public works, creating things like the walks through forest parks, playgrounds and the likes.

Paid them £10 p w more than the bru. Created a load of good public amenities across NI. Great idea, whatever happened to it? One of the first things cut when a new PM came in, stupid arsehole who new the price of everything and the value of nothing, a cove by the name of Thatcher as I recall. The scheme was a waste of money despite the fact that we are enjoying its fruits to this day.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

First bar job was in 84/85. Pints were 76p IIRC (not the fanciest bar of course. May have 78p in the lounge). I mind my birthday in 1988 (i think) - and pints were 98p, because I remember saving all the 2ps in a sick-bag.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

10 years ago I started my quest to consume some booze

Pints were £2 in bars

Now I am lucky to get them for less than £5

We all like a good Les Kiss
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Pints eh? My first alcohol was a bottle of Bacardi bought with two mates one of whose house was on "an empty" so we adjourned there and got bluttered.

Being the dutiful son I phoned home at around 11to tell the folks I'd be a bit late. My Da told me next day he knew exactly what was going on as I was talking like a washing machine on spin cycle.

Think I was about 16 and to this day I hate the smell of Bacardi, makes me feel right queasy 44 years later. I stuck to double cokes and a packet of cheese and onion for a while after that.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

BaggyTrousers wrote:In 1975 I was at the Scotland v Ireland match at Murrayfield in the days of the enormous terrace around 3 sides of the ground. That same year the Scotland v Wales game had a crowd of 104000 officially though estmates reckon maybe 110000 made it into the game.

Anyway, given the lack of anything happening I though I would post a momento that I came across a few weeks back when clearing out a few old wallets etc. In one I did find money, but I never thought to spend it & now it is out of circulation.

That night we ended up drinking in The North British Hotel above Waverley Station, can't remember what its called now. Anyway it was where the Irish team were staying and the after-match banquet was held. Eventually the players emerged into the bar and were happy to chat to Tom Dick & Baggy.

Some guys were getting autographs and as a younger 21 year old than lads nowadays would be, I thought I would too. Problem was that the only paper I had was folding stuff, the smallest a £5 note, probably a good amount since I think my salary was around £1500 gross in those days.
Fiver.jpg
fiver1.jpg
The Ireland team

15 Tony Ensor
14 Tom Grace
13 Dick Milliken
12 Mike Gibson
11 Seamus Dennison
10 Billy McCombe
9 John Moloney
1 Ray McLoughlin
2 Pa Whelan
3 Roger Clegg
4 Willie-John McBride (c)
5 Moss Keane
6 Stewart McKinney
7 Fergus Slattery
8 Willie Duggan

Replacements

Paddy Agnew, Shay Deering, Ken Kennedy, Michael Quinn, W.T. Postlethwaite, Christopher McKibbin

Scotland won 20-13 2 tries each, Billy Steele & Jim Renwick & for Ireland Seamus Dennison & Tom Grace.

Of the team I have no memory at all of W T Postlethwaite, any ould lads remember him?

As for the autographs, three Ulster legends off the bat Willie John, Syd Millar who was team manager & Mike Gibson. Bangor men ( best club in the country at the time many claimed - mostly from Bangor) Dick Milliken, Billy McCombe & Roger Clegg, Paddy Agnew was later involved with Bangor too but I think was CI at that time.

Ken Kennedy was at the end of a distinguished career, certainly McCombe & Kennedy played their last international later that year in Cardiff. It was a painful experience, 32-4 (tries 4 pts) and it was 32-0 late in the game until Willie Duggan intercepted a long Gareth Edwards pass straight off a lineout and ran into the corner from the 25 yard line.

The distinguished back row of McKinney, Slattery & Duggan all signed and Noisy Noel Murphy who was there in some capacity also signed on. Ray McLoughlin signed as did 2 Scottish legendary props Sandy Carmichael & Mighty Moose Ian McLaughlin. Broon a'Troon, Gordon Brown -no not that clampit MP - is there too.

The thing that I recall most from that long evening was Scottish debutant David Leslie, who turned out a good no 8 or flanker, would have talked all night, clearly on a high after a winning debut he wouldn;t shut up, eventually we sidled off to find more famous names, good chap mind you. I also remember Paddy Agnew a triple international - rugby judo & waterpolo - telling me it was a serious waste of money & no doubt I would spend it. :lol: :lol: :lol: Wrong Paddy. >EW

Anyway, hope someone may find this bit of "all our yesterdays" of some interest.
Seamus Dennisons autograph alone is worth the money.
The man who hit Stu Wilson back to Auckland in Munsters victory over the All Blacks.
Legend.

I have a fag packet signed by Serge Blanco somewhere, who was in the Ulster team hotel before our 99 victory.
Thats about it.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Serge was standing behind me for about 15 minutes that morning and the chubes I was with at the time never thought to mention it until we were at the ground. I still haven't forgiven the clowns.
colind
Squire

Post by colind »

Of the team I have no memory at all of W T Postlethwaite, any ould lads remember him?
Another ex CI man I believe. (but I'm not that ould)
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Snipe Watson wrote:Serge was standing behind me for about 15 minutes that morning and the chubes I was with at the time never thought to mention it until we were at the ground. I still haven't forgiven the clowns.
I'm surprised you escaped the gravity in time for kick-off!
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BR wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Serge was standing behind me for about 15 minutes that morning and the chubes I was with at the time never thought to mention it until we were at the ground. I still haven't forgiven the clowns.
Of Baggy?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BR wrote:
:lol: :lol: wasn't as big a problem in 99......
You can't get near him these days without being clobbered by space junk. Some say the demise of Biarritz as a club is due to tidal disruption and meteor showers.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Snipe Watson wrote:
BR wrote:
:lol: :lol: wasn't as big a problem in 99......
You can't get near him these days without being clobbered by space junk. Some say the demise of Biarritz as a club is due to tidal disruption and meteor showers.
To be fair the last time I met him (Twickenham Final), he looked like he's lost a bit of weight. I'd hardly develped a thirst by the time I walked around him. But I agree it looks like BOPB have dissapeared into his black hole. (Can I say that?)
www.stoutboys.co.uk