Ireland team v. Georgia

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ireland team v. Georgia

Post by mikerob »

BuckRogers wrote:
Remember Schmidt plays rugby by numbers almost to the Nth degree. He values players who play within his system and who do not make mistakes and do not miss tackles. Witness the selection of Dave Average Kearney and McFadden ahead of more precocious talents like Zebo and Gilroy for example.
Yeah, I think that is demonstrated by Schmidt's approach towards offloads. None in the game against S Africa. Apparently he doesn't tell players *not* to offload in the tackle.... but it is clear Schmidt favours the lower risk approach of securing ball at the breakdown over 50:50 offloads. In training apparently there is a huge emphasis on the ball carrier and supporting player responsibilities to secure and generate quick ball at the breakdown and that must influence players a lot (maybe some more than others...) The more emphasis there is on this, the less offloading there will be because if the supporting players are expecting to hit the ruck rather than get a pass, the offload becomes even more risky.

Players like Trimble, Dave Average and McFadden will hit rucks all day long so they are favoured by Schmidt's system. I think Felix Jones fits this mould too. Who is more likely out of Gilroy and Zebo to really focus on the hard working, ruck hitting side of the game?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

mikerob wrote:
BuckRogers wrote:
Remember Schmidt plays rugby by numbers almost to the Nth degree. He values players who play within his system and who do not make mistakes and do not miss tackles. Witness the selection of Dave Average Kearney and McFadden ahead of more precocious talents like Zebo and Gilroy for example.
Yeah, I think that is demonstrated by Schmidt's approach towards offloads. None in the game against S Africa. Apparently he doesn't tell players *not* to offload in the tackle.... but it is clear Schmidt favours the lower risk approach of securing ball at the breakdown over 50:50 offloads. In training apparently there is a huge emphasis on the ball carrier and supporting player responsibilities to secure and generate quick ball at the breakdown and that must influence players a lot (maybe some more than others...) The more emphasis there is on this, the less offloading there will be because if the supporting players are expecting to hit the ruck rather than get a pass, the offload becomes even more risky.

Players like Trimble, Dave Average and McFadden will hit rucks all day long so they are favoured by Schmidt's system. I think Felix Jones fits this mould too. Who is more likely out of Gilroy and Zebo to really focus on the hard working, ruck hitting side of the game?
Neither can move a ruck, but Gilroy at least tries

Not sure about the whole lack of offloading. Pretty sure Ireland offload a fair amount and so did Leinster.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Offloads in 2014 6 nations:
France 84
England 64
Italy 49
Wales 47
Scotland 45
Ireland 27

Ireland's game may develop but right now, it definitely isn't an offloading team.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

mikerob wrote:Offloads in 2014 6 nations:
France 84
England 64
Italy 49
Wales 47
Scotland 45
Ireland 27

Ireland's game may develop but right now, it definitely isn't an offloading team.
In my eyes there are 2 types of offload, the bog standard one which opposition can read and generally makes a meter but not a clean break and the much harder to execute properly is the type Cave and a few others prefer in drawing defence out of line and sending a runner through which is far harder to set up and execute properly as it is a matter of 2 or 3 players reading when it is on, you only get a few chances like that per match and half of them seem to finish in a try. That is Joes style from what I noticed with both Leinster and Ireland and is the means by both score their trys, the quick rucks are just a means of setting up the mismatches and opportunities to carry it out.

An interesting stat would be the percentage of those offloads that lead directly to trys, I reckon Ireland would have the highest percentage by a big margin.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

What was the offloading yesterday all about then
Namely Cave
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Russ wrote:What was the offloading yesterday all about then
Namely Cave
Fringe players who aren't fully indoctrinated in Joe's system.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Rooster wrote:
France 84
England 64
Italy 49
Wales 47
Scotland 45
Ireland 27

In my eyes there are 2 types of offload, the bog standard one which opposition can read and generally makes a meter but not a clean break and the much harder to execute properly is the type Cave and a few others prefer in drawing defence out of line and sending a runner through which is far harder to set up and execute properly as it is a matter of 2 or 3 players reading when it is on, you only get a few chances like that per match and half of them seem to finish in a try. That is Joes style from what I noticed with both Leinster and Ireland and is the means by both score their trys, the quick rucks are just a means of setting up the mismatches and opportunities to carry it out.

An interesting stat would be the percentage of those offloads that lead directly to trys, I reckon Ireland would have the highest percentage by a big margin.
There are also the offloads that feck up and hand possession over...

In yesterday's game there was at least one non-offload that handed possession over. Diack had the ball but Zebo ran a line as if Diack was going to offload (and I don't think the offload was really on) so when Diack went to ground, Zebo was a fraction of a second late at the ruck and the ball was turned over.

I agree that Joe's style is if you keep on generating quick ball, sooner or later you will score, rather than hoping that a line break or an offload will result in a score.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

mikerob wrote:
Rooster wrote:
France 84
England 64
Italy 49
Wales 47
Scotland 45
Ireland 27

In yesterday's game there was at least one non-offload that handed possession over. Diack had the ball but Zebo ran a line as if Diack was going to offload (and I don't think the offload was really on) so when Diack went to ground, Zebo was a fraction of a second late at the ruck and the ball was turned over.

I agree that Joe's style is if you keep on generating quick ball, sooner or later you will score, rather than hoping that a line break or an offload will result in a score.
Zebo is a fecktard

Ball greedy wunkbag

Disgusting at the photo, useless on the pitch.
He needs to sort his life out, seriously disrespectful to everyone who has ever worn the number 11
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

mikerob wrote:
Rooster wrote:
France 84
England 64
Italy 49
Wales 47
Scotland 45
Ireland 27

Zebo is a fecktard

Ball greedy wunkbag

He needs to sort his life out, seriously disrespectful to everyone who has ever worn the number 11
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Russ wrote:
mikerob wrote:
Rooster wrote:
France 84
England 64
Italy 49
Wales 47
Scotland 45
Ireland 27

Zebo is a fecktard

Ball greedy wunkbag

So disgusting he said it twice!
It's the hope that kills you.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:
Russ wrote:
mikerob wrote:
Rooster wrote:
France 84
England 64
Italy 49
Wales 47
Scotland 45
Ireland 27

Zebo is a fecktard

Ball greedy wunkbag

So disgusting he said it twice!
If it would have let me, i would have posted it more
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

I can't find this photo, can anyone link to it?
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Cheers Sham.

See now it's hard to tell if he's deliberately trying to look like an idiot there - or if it just comes naturally.

>TWU
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:Cheers Sham.

See now it's hard to tell if he's deliberately trying to look like an idiot there - or if it just comes naturally.

>TWU
He's a twunt

Worst player by a country mile in the past 2 games. Sadly Ireland have injured wingers or this jumped up showpony would be nowhere near Schmidts squad