Ireland v Oz

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ireland v Oz

Post by Jackie Brown »

I do you fool! I can see the facts plain as day on the TV.

I do think barring a serious injury crisis that that is the last time we'll see D'Ar$e in an Ireland shirt.
Last edited by Jackie Brown on Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

pythagoras wrote:So who knows best when it comes to Gordon D'Arcy, Joe Schmidt or UAFC poster Jackie Brown?

That's Joe Schmidt, twice Heineken Cup winner, 1 time 6N winner plus other assorted triumphs

versus

Jackie brown, UAFC poster

Anybody?
Never mind Joe or Jackie - what did you think of D'Arcy's performance today?
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

Spiffsson wrote:
pythagoras wrote:So who knows best when it comes to Gordon D'Arcy, Joe Schmidt or UAFC poster Jackie Brown?

That's Joe Schmidt, twice Heineken Cup winner, 1 time 6N winner plus other assorted triumphs

versus

Jackie brown, UAFC poster

Anybody?
Never mind Joe or Jackie - what did you think of D'Arcy's performance today?

I wouldn't be a great judge.
FRB
Initiate

Post by FRB »

If D'Arcy is past it ( and I think he is by some distance) then POC is a revelation for his age. He was phenomenal today - and against SA (17 tackles & no misses in that game). The man defies logic & is indispensable to Ireland.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

While D'Arcy is taking some stick I would have hated to see either Olding or Marshall playing in that game . The referee let the Oz back line lie marginally off all afternoon which meant D'Arcy had few opportunities to open the ball out . Plus with every break down being contested by the Os the recycle was slow and it allowed the defence to reorganise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
pg106
Initiate

Post by pg106 »

I have to agree that Darcy was below standard today and offered little. I also believe that Simon Zebo lacks the accuracy to make it under Schmidt, his poor decision making let the Aussies get back into the game. All in all an excellent performance and an excellent series from Ireland though. I hope brings his form back to Ulster.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

pg106 wrote:I have to agree that Darcy was below standard today and offered little. I also believe that Simon Zebo lacks the accuracy to make it under Schmidt, his poor decision making let the Aussies get back into the game. All in all an excellent performance and an excellent series from Ireland though. I hope brings his form back to Ulster.
Zebo was directly at fault for 2 of their tries
Orse the other

Both need to be nowhere near the December training squad let alone the 6 nations
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Russ wrote:
pg106 wrote:I have to agree that Darcy was below standard today and offered little. I also believe that Simon Zebo lacks the accuracy to make it under Schmidt, his poor decision making let the Aussies get back into the game. All in all an excellent performance and an excellent series from Ireland though. I hope brings his form back to Ulster.
Zebo was directly at fault for 2 of their tries
Orse the other

Both need to be nowhere near the December training squad let alone the 6 nations
With Bowe/Trimble/Earls/McFadden/Fitz/Gilroy all fit don't know where Zebo may fit into the scheme of things. Not to mention Dave Kearney, who many consider Mr. Average, but who had a hell of a good 6N last year - solid in defence, made some hard yards and has a turn of pace. Zebo is still an exciting player and always liable to make things happen, but he seems to have gone off the boil and can lose concentration. Schmidt may peresvere with him in the squad - if he can iron out a few problems Zebo could be great.

In the wider picture, it's difficult to predict Ireland's best overall threequarter line permutation from a number of players who all have something commendable about their play :

Bowe, Trimble, Earls, McFadden, Zebo, D. Kearney, Fitzgerald, Payne, Henshaw, Madigan, Olding, Cave, McCloskey, Jones, Gilroy, Keatley (with an eye to the future I am leaving out D'Arcy).

Of that lot, I don't know who could really be considered nailed on, but certainly Bowe and Henshaw will be hard to displace.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Spiffsson wrote:Great performance from Ireland. Rory immense on his return. POC everywhere. A just result given a couple of dodgy looking Oz tries. Good little cameo from Madigan too. Who says he can't tackle? I'd play him ahead of Darce from now on.
Jackie Brown wrote:I'd play anyone ahead of D'Arcy. Hope that's the last of it.
What about ahead of Olding?
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Spiffsson wrote:Great performance from Ireland. Rory immense on his return. POC everywhere. A just result given a couple of dodgy looking Oz tries. Good little cameo from Madigan too. Who says he can't tackle? I'd play him ahead of Darce from now on.
Jackie Brown wrote:I'd play anyone ahead of D'Arcy. Hope that's the last of it.
What about ahead of Olding?
Good question. There is not much in it between them. Madigan has the benefit of more game time for Ireland and he has come on by leaps and bounds this year, especially in defence, where he is now looking quite a tough little nut. But Olding is something special. At the moment I'd be happy to see both on the match day squad, to the exclusion of D'Arcy, with Joe giving plenty of match time to each. I see the way forward for Ireland with Madigan/Olding (12), Henshaw (13), rather than Henshaw (12) and Payne (13). There will be those here, of course, who claim the Joe can do no wrong and if he wants Payne at 13, that must therefore be the best choice. I am still far from convinced.
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Henshaw really impressed me at 13 today. Defended well and made a few breaks. Olding 12, Henshaw 13 would be a lethal combination in my humble opinion. As for the ref! He should've gone to specsavers, as should the TMO. A forward pass followed by a grounding that didn't make the line. Even my Aussie mate who was behind the goal line said it was clearly short. And don't get me started on the tackle in the air. The ref was, sorry, is a chube, but no less than I expected when I heard a Kiwi was officiating. :banghead:
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

mid ulster maestro wrote:Henshaw really impressed me at 13 today. Defended well and made a few breaks. Olding 12, Henshaw 13 would be a lethal combination in my humble opinion. As for the ref! He should've gone to specsavers, as should the TMO. A forward pass followed by a grounding that didn't make the line. Even my Aussie mate who was behind the goal line said it was clearly short. And don't get me started on the tackle in the air. The ref was, sorry, is a chube, but no less than I expected when I heard a Kiwi was officiating. :banghead:
The ref was a Saracen

Warren Gatland of the highest order
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Midfield is clearly the problem area and always was going to be following BODs belated retirement with no natural successor groomed.
That indicated to me that management were always seeing Payne in that role.

I would love to see Olding and Henshaw personally but as we haven't seen that so far I am not sure it will happen as its too close to the WC.
Olding would also want to be regularly playing centre for Ulster for that to happen, unless he is happy to be involved as a ultilty back.

Another issue would be our strongest back row when SOB returns.
MCBwinwinwin
Initiate

Post by MCBwinwinwin »

12. Olding 13. Henshaw. 23. Payne (covering multiple positions).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Jared won't like that. He's a 13 you know.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999