Henderson

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Re: Henderson

Post by ruckover »

The question is who misses out for the World Cup. Assuming we only take four locks, and it's looking like POC and Toner are nailed on, with Hendo (fitness permitting) probably assured of the third spot, it appears that the final spot will go to one of Tuohy, Foley and McCarthy. Interesting to see who Joe prefers, it'll be close between Dan and Dave.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Shan wrote:
Spiffsson wrote:
I think he is there now. Too good to leave out, no matter what his age, and he's not that young anymore anyway. Since Ferris quit, nobody in Ireland hits a ruck with the same power as Hendo. Add in all his other attributes (including lineout) and he is more or less the complete package. If we have spare backrowers to burn (and I'm not all that sure we have), then ok, play him at lock. There is far more to his game than Toner's. This is a cruel and stupid waste of Irelands best all-round forward. Yes - I am biased. Completely.
Tis all opinions and no issue with that.

One thing I would say is that I really hope Hendo has not already hit his peak. Any inexperienced player who will not develop with international gametime is destined for an unhappy time in terms of the longevity of their international career. I don't believe I've ever seen an Irish player of standing who has not improved in his first few years, at least, of international competition.
I would say Hendo is far from his peak and will only get better and more powerful. I can imagine what a beast he may be at 28 or so. By saying he is already there, I did not mean that he has stopped developing. Only that is is already good enough to be an Ireland starter who does not need umpteen more games from the bench to prove his point. I still can't believe he only got five minutes against the Frogs. You saw what he did in that briefest of cameos, probably without even getting his second wind.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Spiffsson wrote: I would say Hendo is far from his peak and will only get better and more powerful. I can imagine what a beast he may be at 28 or so. By saying he is already there, I did not mean that he has stopped developing. Only that is is already good enough to be an Ireland starter who does not need umpteen more games from the bench to prove his point. I still can't believe he only got five minutes against the Frogs. You saw what he did in that briefest of cameos, probably without even getting his second wind.

Ah fair enough. I read it as you saying he was the complete package, which implied he wasn't going to develop more, especially in terms of adding more strings to his bow.

I agree he is good enough to start. Indeed if he wasn't he wouldn't be in the 23. I also agree 5 minutes is a waste. He needs 30 at least. As said I'd have had him on at half time. But I'd be inclined towards planning for success and not holding back a player on the off chance one of your second rows gets injured. I think Joe made a sacrifice in order to give an anonymous SOB more gametime. I wouldn't have but there you go.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

ruckover wrote:The question is who misses out for the World Cup. Assuming we only take four locks, and it's looking like POC and Toner are nailed on, with Hendo (fitness permitting) probably assured of the third spot, it appears that the final spot will go to one of Tuohy, Foley and McCarthy. Interesting to see who Joe prefers, it'll be close between Dan and Dave.
Dunkey Ryan hopefully
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

But for the fact that is now injury prone I would have Touhy in the Irish World Cup squad but I expect Diack to make the squad along with Henderson both being back row/second row options which given the number of games if you want any chance in the 1/4s you need to rest some players during the pool stages . Both EoS and Kidney missed the opportunity to rest players and paid the price in the 1/4 s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

rumncoke wrote:But for the fact that is now injury prone I would have Touhy in the Irish World Cup squad but I expect Diack to make the squad along with Henderson both being back row/second row options which given the number of games if you want any chance in the 1/4s you need to rest some players during the pool stages . Both EoS and Kidney missed the opportunity to rest players and paid the price in the 1/4 s

Surely we can come up with better than Diack, who can't even nail an Ulster starting slot when all are fit. He's a big athletic bloke who just doesn't seem to be able to make full use of his physical attributes.
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Spiffsson wrote:
rumncoke wrote:But for the fact that is now injury prone I would have Touhy in the Irish World Cup squad but I expect Diack to make the squad along with Henderson both being back row/second row options which given the number of games if you want any chance in the 1/4s you need to rest some players during the pool stages . Both EoS and Kidney missed the opportunity to rest players and paid the price in the 1/4 s

Surely we can come up with better than Diack, who can't even nail an Ulster starting slot when all are fit. He's a big athletic bloke who just doesn't seem to be able to make full use of his physical attributes.

I agree with you, but it seems like that might be how Schmidt goes. Diack would run rampant from 6/8 against Canada/Romania (they're the 2 crap teams in our group, right? I've honestly forgot.)

The one risk with that is, if any of POC-Toner-Hendo get injured, I would not be comfortable with Diack covering 2nd row against a Tier 1 nation.
It's the hope that kills you.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:
Spiffsson wrote:

I agree with you, but it seems like that might be how Schmidt goes. Diack would run rampant from 6/8 against Canada/Romania (they're the 2 crap teams in our group, right? I've honestly forgot.)

The one risk with that is, if any of POC-Toner-Hendo get injured, I would not be comfortable with Diack covering 2nd row against a Tier 1 nation.
Dunkey Ryan can play 6
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

What's happened to D Ryan? He seems to have been injured for a long time.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dave wrote:What's happened to D Ryan? He seems to have been injured for a long time.
Dave is doing his duty with URSC

Dunkey is still injured
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Dave wrote:What's happened to D Ryan? He seems to have been injured for a long time.

He's not injured, just brad pitt
It's the hope that kills you.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

While Diack is seen as a weak ball carrier and many consider that a primary and some seem even to think it is only function of a tall forward the fact is that Diack is sound under a high ball, an excellent option in the line out and seldom falls off a tackle which provided a team has alternative ball carriers makes Diack an asset to any side . That Diack is not seen as a first choice for Ulster has more to do with Ulster's lack of Ball carriers than Diack's ability in my opinion .

Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Tonic Wine
Novice

Henderson

Post by Tonic Wine »

Toner made 2 tackles at the weekend.Its time to see what Henderson is like doing a full game IMO .Looks like the POC transition will be seamless