World Cup referees

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Re: World Cup referees

Post by againstthehead »

Jackie Brown wrote:Nigel Owens was letting McCaw away with what ever he liked yesterday. I reckon he'll get the final too so NZ will get a free hand at the breakdown.
Ah nothing like a conspiracy theory eh.... :roll:
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cockatrice wrote:
Beattiespastie wrote:Stop blaming refs without blaming the linesmen and TMO. The Standard of refereeing today was top notch and no decision good or bad would have changed Irelands outcome. A 14 man Argentina would have beaten Ireland today. Scotland can be slightly miffed but the ref had a fair game.
Fair game…. even the IRB have turned on him publicly.
Turning on him may be a bit strong - I can see him getting a flag for one of the last two games.

He's been the worst ref in RWC15, which when you consider the IRFU representation ...

I think Barnes deserves and will get the final.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

againstthehead wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:Nigel Owens was letting McCaw away with what ever he liked yesterday. I reckon he'll get the final too so NZ will get a free hand at the breakdown.
Ah nothing like a conspiracy theory eh.... :roll:
Why bother? Sure they can just make dodgy calls on the penalty kicks like last time.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The problem is not just Referees but with the laws of the game which have reduced the game to a risk less kicking match .

Teams are unwilling to play rugby in their own half and resort to kicking .

Why because any offence committed in your own half results in a 3 point penalty

And the most common offence which referees blow is failure to release the ball after a tackle thus trying to run with ball in your own half is extremely risky

How to take fear out of the game requires the laws to be changed that penalties would only be awarded for offences committed inside the 22 .

Foul / dangerous / violent play being still a penalty and yellow card regardless of where committed on the pitch

Free kicks a team may opt for a drop goal

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Some good points Ruck. What frustrates me too is how noncompetitive rucks can be. Players get pinged for touching a halfback, falling off their feet when 3 heavyweights are behind them etc etc etc. It's hardly worth contesting anymore. Hence, you get 12-13 men stretched across the park and defences are hard to break down in the big games. Scrums are a penalty fest depending on the ref.

I'd like to see more free-kicks and if any defenders tackle the player taking the quick tap within 10 m it's an instant yellow card. I think that would encourage the game to quicken up. Also half-backs get too much protection. If the ball is there, you should be able to step over through the gate, shoulder them out of the way, and pick it up. Up to the defense to protect their half back.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'