Jerry Collins killed in car crash

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Jerry Collins killed in car crash

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

bazzaj wrote:It take it thats the former All Black?

Turned out for a small English club side when he was over on holiday.
Proper rugby man in every sense.
Former All-Black or former Barnstaple 2nd XV player - take your pick.

Sad sad news.

Hei maumaharatanga ki te tino hoa
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Yeah, that was an amazing story turning out for a 5th division side. By all accounts, Collins had some issues off the park but there's no doubt he made an impact on the game. Along with 1F, there were proper 6's who could carry and smash folk.

Bumped into Collins on a beach in the south of france just before they played Italy in 2007 RWC. Really quiet and understated guy. I guess he did his talking on the park. Terrible to lose the wife so tragically as well and the little girl seriously ill.

Nice video tribute to the big man:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3w4h8c8e5Y
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

French papers describe the baby as still in a precarious state struggling for life. :(

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Enjoyed this tribute by David Flatman
The news that former All Black flanker Jerry Collins and his wife, Alana, had been killed in a car crash last week hit me unexpectedly hard. I was riding in a cab through London, feeling rather happy with life – then I scrolled through my Twitter timeline and saw it.

Collins was an iconic All Black, a loving husband and, perhaps most importantly, father to a young baby who mercifully survived the accident. In truth, I’m not certain why I found this news so hard to take, as we were not mates. Perhaps it was the mention of his now-orphaned daughter. Perhaps it was the vision of Collins in my mind and what, to me, he represented. I just cannot imagine him crushed. Beaten. He was too strong.

I encountered him twice. In 2004 we toured New Zealand and were duly thumped in Dunedin. Post-match, I entered a sticky old pub already tipsy, and Collins beckoned me to the bar. He knew I was part of the England touring party, but that didn’t stop him from buying round after round for me – and, indeed, anyone else in sight.

He loved to party, and I recall two things: his enormous guns and his permanent, full-bore grin. Both made him instantly recognisable, but his humility could never be questioned. Every fan who wandered over was offered a whiskey and given a meaty handshake.

The next morning was the only time I ever slept through an alarm and missed a team meeting. It was mortifying. Simon Shaw asked what on earth had happened, and all I needed to say was: “Jerry got me.”

The second time I met him was at 8am on the day I played for England against the Barbarians at Twickenham. As I walked into breakfast, Jerry – who was starting for the opposition that afternoon – bounced into the foyer. “Morning, bro,” he said. “Let’s get some toast into us.” He had just got in from the previous night.

Seven hours later, he was the best player on the field as the Baa Baas made us look stupid. He knocked out Phil Vickery and Pete ‘Big Red’ Anglesea with the sort of (legal) tackles for which he became renowned.

Jerry loved a good time, but he was a serious player. Harder than anyone, with an engine to match. He loved healthy confrontation but, the second that final whistle went, that glorious smile appeared on cue. Adored and admired by all, what a bloke he was. I’ll never forget him.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Very nice indeed Baggy thanks for sharing.

Personally when anyone passes 'before their time' it reminds me of my own mortality and those who I hold dear. Beyond that the circumstances of a child being left orphaned undoubtedly heightens the sense of tragedy. Losing one parent in those circumstances would be terrible, two is largely unimaginable and no matter what anyone says it will impact her little life.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

One cap All Black Stormin' Norman Berryman has died from a heart attack, just a week after playing a charity game in tribute to JC.

Very sad, he has 6 kids & was just 42.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.