Tom Court

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Tom Court

Post by Snipe Watson »

Forgot to post this the other day. An important article for all to read. A very candid piece that comes as no real shock, to me anyway.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 53094.html
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Tom Court

Post by BuckRogers »

I like Tom, good honest fella and was a lot better than many south of the border gave him credit for. He developed into a very decent LHP who more than handled any and all comers. He was also pretty handy around the park as well. I do still think we are poorer without him, he gave Big John a serious doing when they met in the Aviva.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

I'm an Angry Tom fan too. You couldn't say he wasn't dedicated to Ulster's cause.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Fair play to big Tom for a piece that reads as honesty without rancour. As an Ulsterman, he's not alone in feeling that his face didn't fit in the Ireland set-up; maybe that was as much of a reason for his omissions than his land of birth. Then again, Jared's popularity seems to knock both theories on the head.

Hope Tom has a few more happy years yet of rugby and many more of happy family life.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

solidarity wrote:Fair play to big Tom for a piece that reads as honesty without rancour. As an Ulsterman, he's not alone in feeling that his face didn't fit in the Ireland set-up; maybe that was as much of a reason for his omissions than his land of birth. Then again, Jared's popularity seems to knock both theories on the head.

Hope Tom has a few more happy years yet of rugby and many more of happy family life.
There is always a perception of bias against Ulster players and it is well founded. Elements of the southern media (by no means all) barely disguise their contempt for anything north of the border.
Tom's case is a classic, he was hard done by and judged shockingly by the southern media. The reason why this happened, in my opinion, is that they knew they could get away with it because he wasn't one of theirs. An Aussie playing for Ulster who was not a clear international starter was easy meat for a media who like to find a convenient scapegoat. Had he been at Leinster or Munster he would have received a much easier ride, especially on RTE I loathe Tom McGurk (a side issue in this case, but always worth saying) . The coaches may not have been any easier as Tom was never a front line international, he was solid at that level rather than being a major star. Of course when you feel you are marginalised, you are not going to perform well. The proof of the pudding being the fact that Tom delivered over and over again for us, where he felt appreciated. This story also sheds a lot of light on why Tom had faded for us in his last season and why he has come good in London. Getting out of the IRFU system would have been great for his state of mind and getting a good night's sleep will always work wonders.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

If Tom played for Munter he would have been their Aussie brother who gave his heart and soul for the betterment of the province and adopted country

Since he played for Ulster he was just one to be abused
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Russ wrote:If Tom played for Munter he would have been their Aussie brother who gave his heart and soul for the betterment of the province and adopted country

Since he played for Ulster he was just one to be abused
More succinct than my post Russ, but much the same. :lol:

Having said that, we shouldn't miss the main point of the piece and that is the unseen, but nevertheless real damage that is done to individuals by injudicious words and the courage it took to give that interview. The big man has shown that he is indeed a big man.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Probably quite a few here who have woken up in the early hours through a bit of work related stress. I know I have at times and 3am is a lonely place. Must be a lot tougher in a profession where you're only a handful of bad days away from a demotion or even the sack.

Good point that it probably affects those that care about their job more. Tellingly, I remember somebody saying at one of the URSC events that Tom was a pre-match boaker/recther (like ROG).
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

big mervyn wrote:Probably quite a few here who have woken up in the early hours through a bit of work related stress. I know I have at times and 3am is a lonely place. Must be a lot tougher in a profession where you're only a handful of bad days away from a demotion or even the sack.

Good point that it probably affects those that care about their job more. Tellingly, I remember somebody saying at one of the URSC events that Tom was a pre-match boaker/recther (like ROG).
To compare Radge and Tom in the same sentence is dirtying the name of the great Tom

Radge was a bit part player who used the meedya to foster his image

Tom was shat on by the meedya when giving his all for the shirt
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:
big mervyn wrote:Probably quite a few here who have woken up in the early hours through a bit of work related stress. I know I have at times and 3am is a lonely place. Must be a lot tougher in a profession where you're only a handful of bad days away from a demotion or even the sack.

To compare Radge and Tom in the same sentence is dirtying the name of the great Tom

That is just incredibly dumb.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Russ wrote:

Not the first person to say that to me today
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Russ wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Russ wrote:

Not the first person to say that to me today
>jawdrop >jawdrop >jawdrop >jawdrop >jawdrop >jawdrop
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Furthermore, whinging about players being harshly treated is not unique to Ulster nor have Ulster been worst affected. For more than 100 years the Ireland team was selected by 5 men, 2 from Ulster, 2 from Leinster & a Munsterman. Ulster/Leinster craved it up. Let's not bitch, we are way ahead of that provincial interest game.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Life can be tough when things are not going your way. What are you going to do. We all have our crosses to bear. You keep going and keep the demons at bay as much as possible.

The siege mentality is way overdone though. When things are tough the hardest place to look is in the mirror. Most of the time it is where you'll find the source of the issue.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Shan wrote:Life can be tough when things are not going your way. What are you going to do. We all have our crosses to bear. You keep going and keep the demons at bay as much as possible.

The siege mentality is way overdone though. When things are tough the hardest place to look is in the mirror. Most of the time it is where you'll find the source of the issue.
Life almost invariably is unfair Shan. As you know, I'm not one for the siege mentality if there is any logic. I can see the rationale behind picking Radge over Humph or even Zebo over Gilly. What I cannot have is rediculious abuse that is poured on a particular player by elements of the southern media. Tom Court was pilloried for a bad substitute performance at tighthead when the pack as a unit were already beaten. McGurk (who I loathe) and Hook were the tormentors in chief. Pope interjected with the point that Tom is a loosie, but they weren't having it. Then some of the print morons fell into line.