Lions Tour of NZ 2017

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Lions Tour of NZ 2017

Post by Rooster »

Gatland is a waste of oxygen
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Neil F wrote:I always found it hard to care about the Lions. You know, I'd watch an occasional test if I was awake and nothing else was happening but largely didn't care much about the results. The only attention I pay to the Lions, therefore, is what I see coming through social media. Team selections, punditry and the like... Even that is enough for Gatland's involvement to make my disinterest turn into antipathy. I can't imagine what this is doing to the people who actually care about the Lions.

On the plus side, if Henderson has been playing as well as people on Twitter seem to think, after an indifferent season at Ulster playing mostly 6, maybe people will at least begin to accept my longstanding argument that he's actually a much better 4.
Over about the last 20 years, indeed more accurately since rugby became professional, my growing ambivalence turned to apathy and now antipathy, especially since the turn of the century with Henry & Woodward being pains in the balls, the brief reappearance of Geech who didn't give the impression of being in charge, then the Gatland era which will hopefully end in about 10 days time.
I just find the whole concept slightly embarrassing these days.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Cornerfleg wrote:If the Lions cant compete with Super 15 sides never mind international sides ... what exactly is the point? Just people blindly accepting jingoistic rubbish in a bid to keep the memory of a bygone amateur glory age.

Bring back proper international tours, stuff the Jolly Boys England and West England love in.
There are some good rugby players in The Brit Isles. That the Lions can't compete is down to the selection of Gatland as head coach; then his selection of assistant coaches; then their selection of a touring squad; then the playing philosophy/tactics/game plan.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Bar front row ( the home of fat boys) where boys play in a team depends on where the coach wants them to play rather than their best natural position.

Quite a few front row forwards have been played as 8s at schools level to provide a heavy hard to tackle ball carrier . The fact that after 25 metres they're done counts for nothing .

So where Henderson played at school fails to convince me he is back row and is a worthless statement .
Similar the statistics for turnover like most rugby statistics suspects being won on the bases of ball wrestling involving a group rather than ground hogging .

As I have previously stated when playing 6 for Ulster Henderson suffers from a confusion of roles on a week by week bases depending on the players also playing and the back row combinations fail as a unit regardless of his contribution and that in part is down to fact he plays 6 as a second row rather than a back row

Stander is in my view the best back row forward in Ireland because his game is based on intelligent anticipation rather pure grunt , knows exactly what he can a cannot do and maximise his contribution to the team rather than as an individual winning penalties etc

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Dave being a retired gentle man an iPod does nearly the same as an IPad is cheaper and fits in a pocket . The IPod rather matches your brain in size whereas an IPad would fail to choke you .

In the last 5 five years I have purchased for myself and family a MacBook ,2 Mac airbooks , 3Ipads ,4 IPhones -I don't consider an IPod is that inferior a purchase at the price given the range of tasks it can perform .

As mode of communication it is restricted , which has benefits believe me .

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

rumncoke wrote:Bar front row ( the home of fat boys) where boys play in a team depends on where the coach wants them to play rather than their best natural position.

Quite a few front row forwards have been played as 8s at schools level to provide a heavy hard to tackle ball carrier . The fact that after 25 metres they're done counts for nothing .

So where Henderson played at school fails to convince me he is back row and is a worthless statement .
Similar the statistics for turnover like most rugby statistics suspects being won on the bases of ball wrestling involving a group rather than ground hogging .

As I have previously stated when playing 6 for Ulster Henderson suffers from a confusion of roles on a week by week bases depending on the players also playing and the back row combinations fail as a unit regardless of his contribution and that in part is down to fact he plays 6 as a second row rather than a back row

Stander is in my view the best back row forward in Ireland because his game is based on intelligent anticipation rather pure grunt , knows exactly what he can a cannot do and maximise his contribution to the team rather than as an individual winning penalties etc

Sentient from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Rum, clearly the iPod is too small a screen or you couldn't grasp what I had written. I wasn't using the fact that Hendo was playing backrow as a schoolboy as any kind of argument. I do accept that Hendo is probably a better second row now, but that this was not always the case.
Last edited by Dave on Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

rumncoke wrote:Dave being a retired gentle man an iPod does nearly the same as an IPad is cheaper and fits in a pocket . The IPod rather matches your brain in size whereas an IPad would fail to choke you .

In the last 5 five years I have purchased for myself and family a MacBook ,2 Mac airbooks , 3Ipads ,4 IPhones -I don't consider an IPod is that inferior a purchase at the price given the range of tasks it can perform .

A Mac Airbook? Are McDonalds now selling laptops?
Last edited by Dave on Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Rum isn't a gentleman, he is a gentle (pause) man. Like gentle ben. The operant conditioned bear.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Stop bullying Rum, Dave

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

What
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rumncoke wrote:Dave being a retired gentle man an iPod does nearly the same as an IPad is cheaper and fits in a pocket . The IPod rather matches your brain in size whereas an IPad would fail to choke you .

FFFS Ron'n I never had you marked down as an idiot >crazy1 , think of the amount of money you have wasted buying a brand rather than good products. Apple produce some decent to good stuff, but what you can always say in the last 5/10 years is that it is overpriced average stuff that is inferior to many things costing hugely less. I wouldn't thank you for an iPhone, had one once, never again.

Even my BGS has deserted Apple since his impressionable years when he realised its just an average product with a big name, rather like a Sony laptop, utter tat that only an idiot would buy theses days. Apple & Sony have a mantra, "half the product for twice the price".

Feel free to contact me before your next "tech" purchase and out of the goodness of my heart I will steer you wisely. :roll:

You are supposed to gain wisdom as you age Ron'n but I suspect it only holds true to a certain age.

I'm an ould coffin-dodger but if I'm giving you "tech" advice -
oldas.jpg
oldas.jpg (9.92 KiB) Viewed 296 times
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Baggy

most of the items were for family members who were used to things apple before items were purchased .

And those for who they were purchase weren't computer geeks and only had very basic needs .

I have no doubt there are better and cheaper products on the market but familiarity with the product was the major consideration at the time of purchase .

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Rumsplaining
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Don't get the point of half the devices out there. A phone that can text and a lap top is all I need.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

The punter who sold me my phone at the O2 shap went through the the range of things that the phone can do. As an after thought he added "Oh aye you can make phone calls on it too." Duh!

Suddenly realised this has gone way off topic but what the hell. The subject of telecommunication devices is much more interesting than the Lions anyway. By the way, any techies on here ventured into VR?
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!