Gilroy

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Gilroy

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Shan wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Anyone expecting the southern media to be fawning over Ulster players, unless they are really ripping up trees, is deluded. Not because of of bias, but because the southern readers want to read about southern players. In exactly the same way that the tele, newsletter and BBC NI rave on about Ulster players.
Also anyone that thinks Joe passes one blind bit of notice of who the media think he should be selecting is also deluded.
My brother. You are wise but you have had the benefit of more years than many to be fair. :D
Only Baggy and rummy older than me and neither of them are wiser........... :lol: :lol:
AHEM!

Conveniently forgetting one who is both?

>threaten
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Shan wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Anyone expecting the southern media to be fawning over Ulster players, unless they are really ripping up trees, is deluded. Not because of of bias, but because the southern readers want to read about southern players. In exactly the same way that the tele, newsletter and BBC NI rave on about Ulster players.
Also anyone that thinks Joe passes one blind bit of notice of who the media think he should be selecting is also deluded.
My brother. You are wise but you have had the benefit of more years than many to be fair. :D
Only Baggy and rummy older than me and neither of them are wiser........... :lol: :lol:
AHEM!

>threaten
Oh aye, quite right. Fleg is older and wiser than me.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Snipe Watson wrote: Oh aye, quite right. Fleg is older and wiser than me.
Nicely done old top. :D :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Gilroy doing press jaunts with wee Mads yesterday
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Shan wrote:

How many times......... See dat feckin' yard? Get roiht'up it and don't come back til yer toul, ya gowlin' geebag. I've more wisdom in me left ball than the lot of ye Nordies combined. A man can choose where and when to use his wisdom ........ and I chose to not often hurl pearls before swine.

Capiche Nordies?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Shan wrote:

How many times......... See dat feckin' yard? Get roiht'up it and don't come back til yer toul, ya gowlin' geebag. I've more wisdom in me left ball than the lot of ye Nordies combined. A man can choose where and when to use his wisdom ........ and I chose to not often hurl pearls before swine.

Capiche Nordies?
Sorry.....it'll not happen again.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Shan wrote:
AHEM!

>threaten
Oh aye, quite right. Fleg is older and wiser than me.
That's the one! :D
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Spiffsson wrote:
Shan wrote:Actually just looking there and Fitz has had 120 starts and 32 tries which is 3.75 starts per try while Madigan has 82 starts and 24 tries which is just 3.4 starts per try. Therefore I now propose we move Madigan to the wing if we want to win the RWC. :D
Given the straight, head to head choice, I'd even have Quiffy on the wing ahead of Fitz. I am totally mystified about Joe's Fitz love-in and have given up trying to understand it. He has had umpteen chances to impress for Ireland and so far, has not. Yet Joe persists with him despite the claims of several better wings. Just off the top of my nog, here are the wings I'd rate ahead of Fitz :

Bowe
Trimble
Gilroy
Zebo
Earls
McFadden
Daverage
Matt Healy
My aunty Madge in her chicken-feeding wellies
You see Spiffer's, herein lies the conundrum. Shan, a man known both here and in his own mind, as one who possesses something rare on your island. An almost English sense of fairness :duck: , he on yin haun grudgingly confesses that Young Gilroy may be better than overblown gobshite, Fitzgerald, yet maintaining a solid front saying that not only is FibberJoe more infallible than Pope Frankie, but is not influenced by extraneous malignant forces, to wit the Dublin press.

Is it any wonder that when a man of such famed lack of bias can find himself mired in this weird dichotomy, that the common poster finds himself spinning in a whirling morass of doubt battering his senses and finding this more confusing than the thought of the apparent lack of definable dimensions of the universe or the precise location of "heaven"?

I submit the following for consideration. We all know that the statistics behind apparent "home advantage" in terms of results is odd. There is no rational explanation for ..... Let's say Zebre horsing ye Nordies in pastaland, but we know it happened. Similarly many refs are accused of being "homers" yet with one obvious exception >EW we don't believe them deliberately biased. My own interpretation is that they simply cannot block out the effects that a home crowd bring to their decision making.

The last bit is important in my own thinking on the FibberJoe/Fitzgerald dichotomy. I can accept Shan's absolute assurance that FibberJoe is straight down the line honest and not consciously influenced, so I put to the class that he is swayed by the white noise of repeated boosting by Thornley and his ilk of Mexicans.

That has to be, there is no other explanation. Maybe, just maybe, Pope Frankie still leads the infallibility champion hurdle by half a length from Shan, with Snipe making a late run on the rail. G'wan :lol:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Shan wrote:
AHEM!

>threaten
Thanks Cap'n. I'm 66 today...and incredibly wise of course. >elvis
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Those who write in the press are one of two things a reporter or a commentator . The reporter writes what he hears and sees . The commentator on the other hand can speculate and write either what he believes the readers want or use a big stick to rile and cause discussion

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Spiffsson wrote: I am totally mystified about Joe's Fitz love-in and have given up trying to understand it.
What makes you think Joe has a thing for Fitz? He has hardly featured for Ireland in Joe's time.
Is a lot of that not down to injuey at crucial times?
But even if he has hardly featured under Joe in the past, he certainly should not be featuring now now, bassed on current form, since he is looking very ordinary. In the remaining warmups, I'd like to see Trimble/Bowe/Dave K./Earls/Zebo on the wing, to the exclusion of Fitz. But what's the betting Fitz gets another run? ahead of some of these.
It would not even surprise me if Joe trotted him out in the centre.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Spiffsson wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Spiffsson wrote: I am totally mystified about Joe's Fitz love-in and have given up trying to understand it.
What makes you think Joe has a thing for Fitz? He has hardly featured for Ireland in Joe's time.
But even if he has hardly featured under Joe in the past, he certainly should not be featuring now now, bassed on current form, since he is looking very ordinary. In the remaining warmups, I'd like to see Trimble/Bowe/Dave K./Earls/Zebo on the wing, to the exclusion of Fitz. But what's the betting Fitz gets another run? ahead of some of these.
Everyone is going to get an outing and Fitz has had his. Let's see the totality of how Joe uses these games before we jump to conclusions about who he thinks is worthy of a place in the squad.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Does Fitzgerald even have pace?

It's been so long since he made a break that I have forgotten

Seem to remember most forwards running passed him in South Africa
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Spiffsson wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Everyone is going to get an outing and Fitz has had his. Let's see the totality of how Joe uses these games before we jump to conclusions about who he thinks is worthy of a place in the squad.
I'm not sure, but hasn't Joe stated that not everyone may get an outing?
I'd be surprised if Gilroy got one at this stage (though I think he should.)
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Russ wrote:Does Fitzgerald even have pace?

It's been so long since he made a break that I have forgotten

Seem to remember most forwards running passed him in South Africa

He wanted to do a challenge like Bryan Habana did v a cheetah. There were no cheetahs available in Dublin today so he asked his granny instead and they raced over 100 metres this morning at the track in Santry. Now back in 1948 she won one of the sprint events in the London Olympics so he had nothing to be ashamed of when he finished a creditable second to her and only 8.35 seconds behind.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.