Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

The Blazers

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Whats the other side of the story?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/w ... 70709.html
In Ireland we have come a long way since that anguished scene as our IRFU administrators had to have their fingers prized away from the handles of amateurism. It was doomsday stuff.

If you looked at the report from the union's annual general meeting last weekend however you'd conclude that we're in decent shape: good numbers playing the game across the board; a very attractive shop window thanks to the senior team and their successive Six Nations titles; and in the back office a very healthy operating surplus of €8.7m to report.

At that same annual meeting, however, we got evidence of how far we still have to travel to take the game onto the right road. In this parish we remember the political assassination of Leinster's Roly Meates at a union agm in 1992 as being a big deal. And to the rugby constituency at the time, it was. That constituency has changed utterly, however, and most of the current crew have more interest in the day-to-day travails of the Kardashians than in those who run rugby in this country.

Even so, they should be mindful that the shafting last weekend of Finbarr Crowley, which made the Meates affair look like a schoolyard tussle, has ramifications for how our rugby teams perform. If on the field it's a game of small margins, then off it it's about getting the right governance in your organisation to give you the best chance of making those margins. What happened at the agm was a long way from good governance.

For the last six years Crowley has been chairman of the IRFU's management committee, the body which makes all the big decisions in Irish rugby. Along with treasurer Tom Grace, he has been the most influential figure in the union over that period. Next time you're passing the IRFU office on Lansdowne Road, check out the car parking available out front. There are two spaces: one for the chairman of the management committee; the other for the treasurer, even though neither man is based in that office.

With Crowley's management term coming to a close this summer his plan was to move onto the fairground attraction that is the presidents' merry go round - or the Augusta Syndrome, as we call it: the singular pursuit of the green jacket. To that end he was proposed unanimously by the officers of the union, and endorsed by the IRFU committee. From there it should have been a seamless transition to the role of junior vice president, and onwards and upwards to the top job for season 2017/'18. Instead that honour will now fall to Phil Orr, who was voted in from the floor ahead of Crowley.

In Godfather speak, Crowley is sleeping with the fishes. Why he is at the bottom of the ocean tells us something about the man himself, and much more about the IRFU's structure and practices. Those who know Finbarr Crowley will not be surprised that sympathy for him is not overflowing following his being dumped at the agm. When it came to making an omelette he broke a lot of eggs, though that didn't appear to concern him unduly.

In his union role, however, it would have been impossible to be everyone's pal. While his close ally Grace was busy tightening belts left, right and centre, Crowley was embarked on a course that would remove as much voting power as possible from those who weren't at the centre of things. As an ideal, this made sense. The strategy of 'head down and charge on', however, was unsuccessful.

A coterie of past presidents' noses were well out of joint at the direction the union was taking. The IRFU seems to be unique in the modern rugby world in the love it affords this group. Remarkably, for example, they travel to all home and away games in the Six Nations. When the cuts came during the recession the length of each trip was reduced, which did nothing to promote Crowley or Grace's popularity with the group.

Despite the cutbacks, their entitlements are as follows: two complimentary tickets to the IRFU box for life, plus the option to buy six category one tickets. We have been to the very same box for media conferences. It is very nice. The trustees, of whom there are four, get an extra freebie, plus options on seven category one tickets. Serving this constituency involves the IRFU passing up a potential €1.3m if the tickets were sold at 10-year package prices. The cuts, incidentally, involved reducing the hotel overnights from three to two for Six Nations games. As wives (who travel at their own/partner's expense) are not allowed to attend the union dinner on the night before the game - it's a man thing - the IRFU picks up the tab for their own chow down, hosted by the president's wife.

In keeping with the lunacy attending this jamboree, the power enjoyed by the past presidents beggars belief. In England for example, when a president hands back his chain of office at tenure's end, they thank him kindly and offer him a form that he can use to buy two tickets to future internationals. And they tell him that he is welcome to attend the agm, but it will be as an observer only.

On Planet Ireland, however, the past presidents enjoy voting rights as part of the IRFU council in perpetuity. Across town in Croke Park the past presidents of the GAA shuffle off the voting scene a year after leaving office. With the IRFU it's the gift that keeps on giving.

It was the bulk of this group - a voting lobby with power greater than Leinster and Munster representatives combined - who voted Crowley down. And Billy Glynn, president of the union three seasons ago, rode point with the message.

"Over the last six to 12 months long-standing personal relationships between people in this room have been torn apart as the result of the manner in which the process to bring about changes in the laws of this union have been allowed to become flawed and mismanaged," he told the other members of the IRFU council.

"This has become the most divisive issue that I have ever experienced in Irish rugby. We did not deserve this. Those relationships were torn apart without due regard for the consequences. It will take time to repair the damage done. It is our responsibility to put in place people who are best able to rebuild those relationships and repair the damage done."

The perceived damage focused on a couple of areas. First there was a working party established last year to review governance - an alarm bell for the PPs - and at the same time a move was made by the union committee to have the chairman of the management committee appointed by them, and not the agm, and to change the way Ireland is represented on World Rugby (formerly the International Rugby Board).

Heretofore two representatives were elected from the honorary ranks, at the agm, to represent us on the world stage. The proposal was to swap one of those two with chief executive Philip Browne. This is the trend around the world with the Sanzar nations, plus Scotland and Italy in Europe - with Wales definitely, and England likely, to follow - having already gone down this route. It's not unlike the standard drill in the diplomatic world where the civil servant sits beside the minister and feeds him lines.

If this seems a no-brainer then you ignore the historical prejudice of the situation where elected representatives were seen as superior to the hired help. Browne may be the ultimate steady hand on the tiller, but he's still a hired one. Moreover, putting this appointment into the hands of the management committee was another limb being cut off from the union council.

Making this move required a change in the IRFU's constitution. The trustees were consulted and wanted a couple of alterations to the proposal, but by the time the dust had settled on those, the tom toms were already beating around the provinces. When it came to the required egm in July, to vote in the changes, Crowley could hear the mood music and withdrew the motion.

Some were unhappy at the way Peter Boyle, who has been a World Rugby representative since 2004, was to be sacrificed to make way. The rumblings of discontent were audible by the time the agm came around. The preparatory work was all done, and Phil Orr was ready and waiting to step forward when Crowley had been knocked back. While Crowley had been the obvious casualty, it didn't sit too well with Philip Browne, who had just seen the apple cart overturned.

"No organisation can stand still in terms of its governance, which has to be under constant review," he says. "And any organisation that thinks it can stand still on that perspective will go backwards. We have to have a governance that is fit for purpose, that not only allows us to deliver the game at grassroots level but also allows us to run the business end of the game at professional level. And we've been striving to try and do that over the years with success, or lack of success, depending on your perspective. Those are the facts."

It will be interesting to see how Browne, and Declan Madden - the man who succeeds Crowley on the management committee - pick up the ball now and run with it. As a supporter of change Browne has had his eye wiped.

Either way, Browne and Madden have a dilemma on their hands. Christmas is coming and the turkeys have already voted overwhelmingly for the New Year. What happens now to the pace of change will keep us all intrigued.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: The Blazers

Post by Snipe Watson »

This was always going to happen. The old farts have always had too much power. The IRFU is a joke shop.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Nonsense Snipe, sure hasn't the IRFU delivered two grand slams in its 141 years of fecking up Irish rugby, and for most of that time without the aid of a foreign coach.

Aren't they the splendid organisation who thought it wise to only sell autumnal tickets in blocks of 4 because every rugby follower in Letterkenny to the Blasket Islands just yearns to spend 4 successive weekends giving their money to jackeens.

Joke shops provide the occasional laugh, you are so wrong. >EW

Incidentally I assume everyone knows it's not just the PPs who are looked after? Former international players and former and current refs had an entitlement last time I checked, but of course not the free weekends of the PPs. :lol:

It's Irish society, nothing more, those who have had their taste of power like to be treated as "important " for life and operating in mobs, they do well enough at minding their privileges. Tis de Oirish Way, a shtep up from your wee Ulster Way.

I heard Rum'n has a blazer but my informant was unsure if he earned it, bought it or stole it. :shock:

Finally I suppose I should express disappointment that Philo is "The President's Man", ach, on second thoughts, I still recall him as a charging prop, amongst the first of the type that led us to young Healy, but in fact like me, he's a relatively ould fart now.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Any accounting going on?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

No Blazer --- but I have a certain respect for traditions
provided any privilege is earned and time limited.

Most have experience and the best interests of the game as their driving force .

The problem is the professional head who'a interests are commercially driven rather than in the future welfare of the sport

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rumncoke wrote:No Blazer --- but I have a certain respect for traditions
provided any privilege is earned and time limited.

Most have experience and the best interests of the game as their driving force .

The problem is the professional head who'a interests are commercially driven rather than in the future welfare of the sport
Okay Rum'n, I'm going to talk you down from that precarious ledge.

Respect for tradition is fine in it's place, first assuming that it is a worthy tradition and not simply repetition of bullshit, when it eats into 12-15% of the IRFU's profit to maintain these jollys (if I read the figures correctly) for an ever increasing aged population of Past Presidents, many without the wit to stiffen & a great propensity for "the raising of the wrist", then the hired help would be remiss not to attempt some redress without being hurled under the next Dart round the back of the Main Stand.

What you point up as "the problem" is of course patent nonsense, it is the defined duty of the hired help & that fine winger & accountant The Amazing Tommy Grace, to seek to use the best commercial return they can ethically get, to fund the future growth & health of the game. If that means reining in the PP's jollys, the blazers need to absorb that requirement without forming a cabal to prevent good governance, in the same way that Unions across the globe have done.

Lets be honest, few Past Presidents will be financially dependent on the IRFU to fund a trip to Cardiff or Paris, it would be reasonable that they may have privileges as President & IPP perhaps at a stretch, but "for life" is bullshite of the first water.

Rum'n, as always, it's been my pleasure to have been of assistance. >EW
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

I think that there is some middle ground to be had. Perhaps a 5 year stretch for continued privileges as PP's. To rip the band-aid to current and immediate past would never get passed such is their snivelling self interest.

I note with interest that Rum'n feels these gents have the 'best interests' of Irish Rugby at heart. This may be true for some but it is patently not the case for all of them.

This problem, much like public pensions, is only going to grow in the years to come. It's also not as if they are holed up in the local Premier Inn on their away travels either.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Good point, this is indeed a symptom of Irish societal tradition of, often undue, deference as you say Baggy. These are the same ultra con, self-interested "do rightly" shower who refuse to budge and move on. It is farcical that this kind of culture still exists in the professional era. Their sole motivation I would say Rummy is not the good of the game, but the protection of their "entitlements".
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BuckRogers wrote:I think that there is some middle ground to be had. Perhaps a 5 year stretch for continued privileges as PP's. To rip the band-aid to current and immediate past would never get passed such is their snivelling self interest.

I note with interest that Rum'n feels these gents have the 'best interests' of Irish Rugby at heart. This may be true for some but it is patently not the case for all of them.

This problem, much like public pensions, is only going to grow in the years to come. It's also not as if they are holed up in the local Premier Inn on their away travels either.
There you go again being all nice and reasonable Buck.
Lance the boil. The system needs to be made appropriate to the era we are living in. Like a golf club, one year as ex officio president and then >seeya . My default position on the matter of the IRFU in general is one of disdain, but there are individuals in there attempting to do good work, but they are hamstrung by these fusty old dinosaurs.
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

The Blazers

Post by BuckRogers »

I appreciate, and agree to some degree, with the sentiment but it would be extremely difficult to implement in reality. They would be fighting for their proverbial lives insofar as that foreign travel is probably worth maybe £3-5k per year never mind the value of the home tickets etc.

The turkeys will not vote for Christmas and unfortunately that is the joy of dealing with any committee structure.

They'll say that ultimately they are a vital safeguard to prevent the professional organisation over stepping the mark but I would probably be inclined to dismiss that really.
Last edited by BuckRogers on Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I would also suggest that implying that the trustees are on some sort of gravy train is shortsighted. AFAIK the trustees personally hold the ultimate liabilities of the union. That's a hell of a responsibility in the current climate.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

The Blazers

Post by rumncoke »

I'm definitely not in the jollies for life camp my limit would be 3 years including the year of Presidency . Voting rights up to ten but with restrictions on use .

Tom Grace is a qualified blazer not non interested professional

The cost of freebies is of course a debatable subject if all they do is fill up seats in a Chartered Airplane and fill a few rooms in a booked Hotel.

The benefit is that they have the ears of senior aleckadoos of other Unions and thus scent the winds of change and their presence may reduce the occurrence of things which could be embarrassing or ensure that if something occurs it is dealt with discreetly hidden in the middle pages rather than the Front or Back

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Once a Knight wrote:It always struck that those outside the various organisations are quick to offer their formula for reform and success and are quick to condemn those on the inside for not doing so. Dismissal as "old farts" and "Blazers" usually ignores the 20/30 years of service that the old fart/blazer has given whilst the person criticising wasn't serving. Many clubs would be against the wall were it not for those who are prepared to do things. Maybe at IRFU level there are two many "privileges". Or maybe there are too many qualifying for those privileges.

All I am saying is that when you walk into a drinks reception and there are lots of people wearing blazers and laughing and making small talk and drinking gin it's very easy to think that's all they do.

I'm not a blazer. I do know that the Blazers at my club work hard and put in money. I do know two IRFU past presidents personally and know them both to be decent thoughtful men who have each given 30 plus years of service at Club, Provincial and International level. I'd be surprised, nay stunned, if either voted out of self interest or malice. Perhaps there are two sides to a story. :lol:
Let's take your good self as an example. You go out of your way to be involved in junior rugby, you put in time, effort and money at the grass roots level of the game. Is there a seat for you in the mini rugby coaches' section at Lansdowne Road? No there isn't and you pull out your credit card and buy your UR season tickets just like everyone else.
The position of IRFU President is in itself the honour for long and distinguished service to the game and it rightly brings with it a lot of privileges. Should that be a gift that keeps on giving? I don't think so.
That's not my major beef however. I don't see why this unaccountable old boys network has so much power. They should have no say whatsoever in the running of the professional game.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

rumncoke wrote: The cost of freebies is of course a debatable subject if all they do is fill up seats in a Chartered Airplane and fill a few rooms in a booked Hotel.
A few rooms? The Ireland team and blazers stayed at a hotel near where I live in London for the England v Ireland 6N game a few years ago. When I was walking past the hotel on the evening before the game, the blazers were getting into a 50 seater coach to go to a RFU function (I know this, because there was a sign on the front of the coach...) The blazers took up most of the seats on the coach. Somehow I doubt that the ones who came without their wives were doubling up on rooms. The rack rate for a bog standard room at this hotel is about £250 a night and according to the Indo article, their freeby would have been for 3 nights back then.

It would be interesting to know how many development officers the hotel bill would have paid for.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

mikerob wrote:
It would be interesting to know how many development officers the hotel bill would have paid for.
Now there is a good question.