RWC - Group A

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

RWC - Group A

Post by againstthehead »

Usually the RWC groups are a bit micky mouse and it's a matter of avoiding the Argies in the group stages but group A certainly has the something to get the old juices flowing. Okay, you can blame the system for dropping Wales, Oz, Fiji and the hosts, Engerland in the same pool, but what a way to get the tournament going. Straight off, it's getting close to knock-out rugby and it's just going to be fascinating to see who makes it through:

England. No idea how they will fare. At home, in a RWC, they should be finalists. They'll attempt to bludgeon sides and at home they might just succeed. Although how will their centers go? Will their pack have any discipline? Certainly if they can get dominance up front they'll be a force and I'd fancy them to advance given the home advantage (although their crapness might make this challenging).

Ozzie. No idea how they will fare. Ask me 3 months ago and I'd say QF max but they recently blew the All Blacks off the park in Oz and gave them a good hiding up front no less. In Falau, they have one of the in-form players in world rugby and in Pocock and Hopper have two of the best backrowers for getting over the ball in world rugby. Oz always do well so will probably go through.

Whales. No idea how they will fare. I like Wales, Warbarton, Halfpenny, Roberts, Tupuric - cracking players. Add in 2 big lumps of wingers and you have a nucleus of decent players. Keep everyone fit and they are more than capable of upsetting the other 2 big boys. However, England at home and the ruthlessness of the Ozzies will probably be a bit much for them.

Fiji. Poor old Fiji, Not only to they get lumped with the above but they have to play them on the bounce. I'd have fancied an upset if they had a decent schedule but the physical nature of their schedule is probably just too much. If Wales rest a few and play open then Fiji could maybe do them over.

Anyway, what a group and what a way to get the RWC started!
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: RWC - Group A

Post by Russ »

This is stupid

Wales have a 47% win record
Aussies and England will progress with ease

Fiji will beat Wales
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Russ wrote:This is stupid

Fiji will beat Wales
10 quid that won't happen ;)
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

againstthehead wrote:

Fiji will beat Wales
England
Australia
Fiji
Wales
An other

I'll take your £10 bet (should be at Ravers over Xmas to collect)
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Russ wrote:
againstthehead wrote:

Fiji will beat Wales
England
Australia
Fiji
Wales
An other

I'll take your £10 bet (should be at Ravers over Xmas to collect)
Lol, your on. How do we define 'progress with ease?'
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

I actually think England could very easily be the team to fail to get out of that group.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

I must admit I'd have a little titter if Fiji beat England; :lol:
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

thecrouch wrote:I actually think England could very easily be the team to fail to get out of that group.
That would make the World Cup for me - possibly better than Ireland getting to the semis.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

big mervyn wrote:
thecrouch wrote:I actually think England could very easily be the team to fail to get out of that group.
That would make the World Cup for me - possibly better than Ireland getting to the semis.
I'd laugh my wee socks off.

Robshaw's post match interview would be a classic.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Setanta wrote:I must admit I'd have a little titter if Fiji beat England; :lol:
I think the whole country would have more than a little titter if that happened. Enda Kenny'd propbably draft a gloating press release, knock a few votes out of it
It's the hope that kills you.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Fiji are a 7s playing country plenty of backs but usually lack a front five for the 15 game to trouble the English or Welsh

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Wales are really up against it.
We can treat our first games v Canada and Romania in our group as extended friendlies and a chance for squad rotation as they are weak opposition and know all we have to do is beat Italy to qualiify.
On the other hand England, Wales and OZ know they could feasibly end up beating one another so it could well come down to how they perform against the other sides.
Therefore they need to go all out in every game which will stretch their squads as every point could count.

Wales might well be a match for the other two big sides in the group with their first team but their back up is threadbare.
Therefore realistically they will have to beat both England and Oz in order to progress as they don`t have their resources to rack up the scores against the other two teams.
Throwing Fiji in the mix makes that uphill to say the least as that`s historically a tough game for Wales and I know a lot of their supporters are worried about that one.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

I fancy Australia to top the group with England second with both beating Wales. I don't really mind which order those two end up in though as long as Wales are gone. Hope Fiji beat Wales for good measure. 3 Welsh defeats would be just awesome.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

rumncoke wrote:Fiji are a 7s playing country plenty of backs but usually lack a front five for the 15 game to trouble the English or Welsh

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:
Setanta wrote:I must admit I'd have a little titter if Fiji beat England; :lol:
I think the whole country would have more than a little titter if that happened. Enda Kenny'd propbably draft a gloating press release, knock a few votes out of it
There would be a general election again as it was bound to be Camerons fault :lol:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Shan wrote:I fancy Australia to top the group with England second with both beating Wales. I don't really mind which order those two end up in though as long as Wales are gone. Hope Fiji beat Wales for good measure. 3 Welsh defeats would be just awesome.
I can see Wales doing a number on England. If the Welsh can contain the English pack, they have the backs to break the English line.