RWC - Group D

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Re: RWC - Group D

Post by Neill_M »

Oyonnax's Romanian lock Valentin Ursache cited. Hearing today.

Ursache has been cited by Citing Commissioner James Absaloms (Kenya) for an alleged act of foul play contrary to Law 10.4(e) 'Dangerous tackling' during his team's 38-11 loss to France on Wednesday.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Interesting to see how Earls copes at 13. The centers are probably one of the French few strengths. Never really thought much of Earls defensively but he seems to have improved of late. This could be a good test for him.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Improved of late???!!!
Ath he was defending so deep against the Italians he was in the changing rooms.

Modern defences aren`t about making the tackles as much as the sort of tackle.
On a blitz or rush you want to get in their faces and stop their momentum with collisons.
On a passive drift its about isolating numbers out wide and seeking the turn over.

Earls took passive way too literally as he conceded way too much ground before engagement, a point Drico made at half time.
He cannot afford to play that passively against France as they will gobble the space up on their terms.
Must play a rush system as we did before and where I feel Ireland defend best with line speed and get in their faces before they can build up steam, as they did last time.
In fact like the blitz defending generally in the modern game as its played a higher tempo and gets intensity into a side which is what its all about as I keep banging on.

I get that same feeling about our midfield now as when we played MacFadden and Darce together against Wales a few years back and they were eaten alive by their backs power.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

I'm sure Joe will have had words with Earls after last week but I'm not sure it will make a huge difference. This is dangerous because Fofana is, on his day, the best 12 in the world or close to it and if given a sniff can take you apart. Then you have Bastareaud who if you don't stop within 2 seconds you may not be able to stop at all.

It is imperative that we put so much pressure on Michalak we lock him down to help stop the threat from the centres.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Shan wrote:I'm sure Joe will have had words with Earls after last week but I'm not sure it will make a huge difference. This is dangerous because Fofana is, on his day, the best 12 in the world or close to it and if given a sniff can take you apart. Then you have Bastareaud who if you don't stop within 2 seconds you may not be able to stop at all.

It is imperative that we put so much pressure on Michalak we lock him down to help stop the threat from the centres.
Decent assessment Shan, this is not the France we see in the 6Ns, this is RWC France, more purpose, more unity.

Michalak is mercurial on his day but unquestionably also can be their weakest link. You'd like Ferris at his best to be savaging Tillous-Borde to throw pressure on before the ball reaches him, but if Seannie could get his finger out that would help. If we can't close Freddie down it could be a long afternoon & I genuinely have fears for Keet, he's had a few bangs and the thought of Bastareaud blattering all over him makes me queasy.

Assuming there will be nothing much between the packs, whichever set of half-backs has the better day will probably dictate the result. That is my main area of hope.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

bazzaj wrote:Improved of late???!!!
Ath he was defending so deep against the Italians he was in the changing rooms.

Modern defences aren`t about making the tackles as much as the sort of tackle.
On a blitz or rush you want to get in their faces and stop their momentum with collisons.
On a passive drift its about isolating numbers out wide and seeking the turn over.

Earls took passive way too literally as he conceded way too much ground before engagement, a point Drico made at half time.
He cannot afford to play that passively against France as they will gobble the space up on their terms.
Must play a rush system as we did before and where I feel Ireland defend best with line speed and get in their faces before they can build up steam, as they did last time.
In fact like the blitz defending generally in the modern game as its played a higher tempo and gets intensity into a side which is what its all about as I keep banging on.

I get that same feeling about our midfield now as when we played MacFadden and Darce together against Wales a few years back and they were eaten alive by their backs power.
I think you are a little hard on Earls there bazz. The Ireland line speed was woeful, presumably because of the passive defensive mode they chose to play. That includes Sexton and all the threequarters. Hard to see how Earls at 13 could have pushed up alone, left the dogleg and a gap as big as a barn. This was a team fault, or if you like, Joe's fault for instructing the tactic. When Earls has to make the tackle he is generally sound enough and has improved tremendously in this area.
Obviously, as you say, this has to change against France, or we are toast and Fofana/Fat B must be clobbered before getting into stride. This will not be dependent on Earls alone but on the threequarters as a unit, and Joe's defensive game plan.
I am hoping Earls has a blinder tomorrow.