Thanks for the memories, Paulie

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Thanks for the memories, Paulie

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

So, what we all knew from Sunday has been confirmed - Big Paulie's days wearing the green of Ireland have come to an end in one of the nastiest ways possible.

I would just like to say farewell and thanks for everything PO'C did for Irish Rugby over an incredible career. A giant of a man and a phenomenal leader, you just got the impression that the other players would follow him to the gates of hell and beyond. I know the likes of our own boy giant is following behind and if he lives up to half the promise he has shown he too will be a fantastic player, but big Paulie's a hard act to follow and he will leave a massive hole not just in the second row for Ireland, but in the team and the structures.

If he weren't going to Toulon (and I do hope the injury allows that to happen at some stage), i would wish him well in his career, but for now I'll content myself with wishing him a full recovery and all the best for his personal life beyond rugby.

Cheers Paulie - well played. >appl :salut:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Thanks for the memories, Paulie

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Grim news for Paulie, I understand Mike McCarthy has already arrived with the squad.

For Paulie I hope that this doesn't end his career completely, it does seem a possibility, with the ligament detached from the bone, I hear at his age it may be one he can't come back from. >ESAD

I was at LR the day he made his debut in green, I was in Cardiff when Munster won their two HCs, he has been the most impressive leader in Irish rugby, way ahead of BOD, even ahead of Davy Irwin who was a most magnificent Ulster captain. >EW

Not much you can say but get well soon Paulie.

I hate bullshit like "Do it for Paulie", but byjaysus it would be great of they did. :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Phenomenal player, phenomenal man.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

A complete inspiration who made the players around him better than the sum of their parts. A massive loss to Ireland and Munster. Sincerely hope he's able to play for Toulon, the big man doesn't deserve to end his career like that. Thanks Paulie.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Chuck Norris wears Paulie Pyjamas ... nuff said!

Great player, great leader sad it ends like that
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Nobody will put it better, nobody knows better.

ROG: My sadness is tinged with absolute pride having spent 16 years with one of Rugby's greatest competitors.
#gentleman
#Leader
#1ofakind
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

The end has come a little earlier than ideal and in circumstances one could never hope for.

However what has gone before will not be forgotten too easily. A true great of Ireland.

Hope he recovers soon and fully.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

I remember when Mick Galway retired thinking that we would be struggling to miss his leadership and granite until POC came along straight away and it was almost Mick who?
Kind of get the feeling that Hendo is going to have the baton handed to him in similar fashion as the heartbeat of the Irish side.

I think in terms of greats he has to be up there but rarely gets a mention when the the true greats are discussed possibly due to Ireland`s World cup failures.
Great partnerships in the game are talked about like Little/Horan, Matfield/Botha but I see John Hayes relationship with POC as a partnership as they dominated line outs on the world Stage for the best part of a decade.
It does seem weird to think of a prop and a 2nd row as a partnership but POC was the first to attribute his line out success to the Bull such is the humility of the man.

My best memory of POC was when he came back into the Munster team from injury a few years ago in an away quarter final against a much fancied Quins side, when people were starting to think he was past his best.
He dominated the Quins pack and made the game revolve around him in a way that I have only really ever seen Dean Richards do.
Quite outstanding.
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

bazzaj wrote:I remember when Mick Galway retired thinking that we would be struggling to miss his leadership and granite until POC came along straight away and it was almost Mick who?
Kind of get the feeling that Hendo is going to have the baton handed to him in similar fashion as the heartbeat of the Irish side.

I think in terms of greats he has to be up there but rarely gets a mention when the the true greats are discussed possibly due to Ireland`s World cup failures.
Great partnerships in the game are talked about like Little/Horan, Matfield/Botha but I see John Hayes relationship with POC as a partnership as they dominated line outs on the world Stage for the best part of a decade.
It does seem weird to think of a prop and a 2nd row as a partnership but POC was the first to attribute his line out success to the Bull such is the humility of the man.

My best memory of POC was when he came back into the Munster team from injury a few years ago in an away quarter final against a much fancied Quins side, when people were starting to think he was past his best.
He dominated the Quins pack and made the game revolve around him in a way that I have only really ever seen Dean Richards do.
Quite outstanding.
Before that happens Hendo has to play his way into the Ireland side as a regular starter under Joe Schmidt, and not a bencher. But yes, he does have a bit of promise, and if can persuade Joe he's woth a spot, he could go the whole way. Good luck to him.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Once a Knight wrote:One of the all time greats. Simply tragic that he's gone from the World stage in this manner. Beyond a legend.
Well said!
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:So, what we all knew from Sunday has been confirmed - Big Paulie's days wearing the green of Ireland have come to an end in one of the nastiest ways possible.

I would just like to say farewell and thanks for everything PO'C did for Irish Rugby over an incredible career. A giant of a man and a phenomenal leader, you just got the impression that the other players would follow him to the gates of hell and beyond. I know the likes of our own boy giant is following behind and if he lives up to half the promise he has shown he too will be a fantastic player, but big Paulie's a hard act to follow and he will leave a massive hole not just in the second row for Ireland, but in the team and the structures.

If he weren't going to Toulon (and I do hope the injury allows that to happen at some stage), i would wish him well in his career, but for now I'll content myself with wishing him a full recovery and all the best for his personal life beyond rugby.

Cheers Paulie - well played. >appl :salut:
I would like to add my name to your eulogy, sorry, tribute, Grumps.
Bo***cks to Brexit
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Colossus
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Nice collage, but never forget, he now plans to be a hated Toulon ballix, I imagine him in that shirt and want to throw up in man sized chunks. :puker:
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Nice collage, but never forget, he now plans to be a hated Toulon ballix, I imagine him in that shirt and want to throw up in man sized chunks. Imageuker:
Yip. He's dead to me the moment he turns up at the Mayol
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Spiffsson wrote:
bazzaj wrote:I remember when Mick Galway retired thinking that we would be struggling to miss his leadership and granite until POC came along straight away and it was almost Mick who?

Quite outstanding.
Before that happens Hendo has to play his way into the Ireland side as a regular starter under Joe Schmidt, and not a bencher. But yes, he does have a bit of promise, and if can persuade Joe he's woth a spot, he could go the whole way. Good luck to him.
Well he will now that POC has gone which was my point.