The business end: Semi Finals

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

The business end: Semi Finals

Post by againstthehead »

So 8 become 4 after what I thought was a superb set of quarter finals. They had everything. Sensational tries, massive hits, backdoor offloads, reffing errors, late winning tries and kicks: just super drama. What I take away, it that it's bloody hard to predict how a side will perform on any given day. Certainly, the Scots did much much better than I think anyone expected against the form side of the tournament at the time.

SA V NZ
It's a case of the irresistible force verses the immovable object here. This is just going to be brutal contest of power and attrition. I see from another thread that Garces is reffing this one and I think that isn't a bad call for the Boks. The frenchman was fairly hot on the scrummaging in the Ireland game and with the AB's likely to be a couple of props down, the Boks will no doubt be targeting this area as a point of potential weakness. If skudder is crocked then it might be a case of bringing in Naholo who's had very limited rugby which could be another area to exploit. I see a very very tight game. The AB's should have enough to get over the line but if their scrum implodes or the Boks can get the lineout maul rolling then it could go down to the line.

Oz V Argentina
On paper, this could also be an absolute belter. My only concern is that Argentina have emptied the tank Vs Ireland both emotionally and physically. Sides in this RWC have rarely played well on the bounce so I expect a jump in performance from Oz and a drop by Argentina but who the fek knows. If Argentina come out at 100 miles an hour like they did against Ireland they could cause some serious problems for the Ozzies. Barnes is on the whistle and he'll be blowing it hard in the 1st 40 to lay his usual marker. The pumas will obviously need to maintain their disciple to have any chance and that is rarely their strength. Ozzie have beaten a poor England side and an injury-savaged Welsh side and we all think they are world-beaters and maybe they are but against Scotland they looked pretty ordinary.

In summary, I have no idea what the fek will happen but I do hope and believe we are in for 2 smashing games of rugby. Lock up the wives and daughters this is going to be brutal stuff.
Last edited by againstthehead on Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Re: The business end: Semi Finals

Post by Spiffsson »

Even though the Argies humped us off the park I will be enthusiastically rooting for them. I admire the kind of rugby they are playing.