Semi Finals

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

bazzaj

Semi Finals

Post by bazzaj »

New Zealand v South Africa-I am not getting carried away with New Zealands obliteration of France.
France were shockingly bad and most decent sides would have put 30 points minimum on them the way they defended.
Pressure is a great leveler as the one thing the South Africans do is deliver pressure.
They themselves have been under pressure since the opening game and for the first time its is off them.

It will on the other hand all be on the All Blacks as clear favourites who themselves have not experienced the slightest pressure since the opening game and I can`t see the South Africans standing off them and watching them play like the French did.

The difference between South Africa and other sides is that they are not intimidated by the silver fern.
Quite the opposite I think they actually thrive on it.
I really think this one will go the wire as it has done on the last 3 occasions between these sides.

Australia v Argentina- Shades of 1991 the way that the Aussies got out of jail against the Scots and they will possibly feel because of that, that history can repeat itself. A lot of the squad will have experienced defeat to the Argies so overconfidence should not be a problem so I think its fair to say I can`t see anything other than an Aussie victory in this one.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Semi Finals

Post by Rooster »

Easy wins for NZ and Argentina in my thoughts.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Rooster wrote:Easy wins for NZ and Argentina in my thoughts.
No

Saffas Oz
Colin0395
Novice

Post by Colin0395 »

Russ wrote:
Rooster wrote:Easy wins for NZ and Argentina in my thoughts.
No

Saffas Oz
I called a SA v Australia final at the start of the world cup with guys in work. After the way Argentina played though, I think they are in with a real chance against Australia

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Thats interesting.
Thought I was the only one thinking SA could do this.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I think NZ are massive favourites. They have shown no weakness so far and when required, moved their game up a couple of gears to blow their bogey team out of the water with a display of skill and power the likes of which we have not seen before or from anyone else.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

I was skeptical about the All Blacks given their pool performances. Then they turned on the class against France and I realise what a stupid person I was.

The ABs will win on Saturday and then the final. Handily.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

ruckover wrote:I was skeptical about the All Blacks given their pool performances. Then they turned on the class against France and I realise what a stupid person I was.

The ABs will win on Saturday and then the final. Handily.
Rubbish ruck

They will choke
Big Smoke Culchie
Squire

Post by Big Smoke Culchie »

After the embarrassment of Ireland's exit last week with a result the team really should be ashamed of, I've kind of lost interest. Unfortunately the wife is a Kiwi. Sigh.

I hope Joe Schmidt feel like sh1t right now.
Joe Schmidt is a Leinster ballbag
lw7
Novice

Post by lw7 »

This SA back line is very creative but physically streamlined compared to older versions.
They will have their work cut out shutting down No'nu & Savea.
I'm expecting an Ellis Park thriller.
Go Bokke!
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

I think it comes down to who turns it on on the day. All 4 sides are very good at what they do. Rumor has it that the ozzies could be missing 2/3 key players and that could be crucial. Something in me that is saying Boks and Pumas but that doesn't make sense...
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Great game yesterday , much closer than I thought it would be. SA were outstanding and brought massive intensity to the game that meant the AB had to grind it out and match the SA physicality which they did. Fine margins in the end but it was impressive how the AB didn't panic when they were behind and you only have to look at who they brought off the bench to realise how complete a squad they are. I think history will look back at the 2015 AB squad as possibly the best ever. Now for Oz v Argentina....
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

I've said it elsewhere but I can't see Argentina winning this as good a team as they are.
I was proved correct by saying they are better than anything in the 6 nations but I think they are still a step behind the big 3..
Even an injury hit Ireland team made them look ordinary at times and actually got in a position to beat them towards the end.

The Aussies won't defend the way we did by standing off them.
If Pocock is fully fit he and Hooper will cause havoc and be way too much for the Argies.
They do look beatable however when either isn't playing so thats the key if they are gambling on Pocock
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Beattiespastie wrote:Great game yesterday , much closer than I thought it would be. SA were outstanding and brought massive intensity to the game that meant the AB had to grind it out and match the SA physicality which they did. Fine margins in the end but it was impressive how the AB didn't panic when they were behind and you only have to look at who they brought off the bench to realise how complete a squad they are. I think history will look back at the 2015 AB squad as possibly the best ever. Now for Oz v Argentina....
Pastie, if games were won on heart and the fight in the dog, South Africa would win more than most. I doff my duncher to them, for all and sundry were making light of them when they lost to Japan, expect me of course as an unabashed fan. However they just don't have the game to destroy teams,like NZ and less often Australia can when they get it right. SA offer a more brutal but less refined game than either, you are pretty sure what you will get from them.

I absolutely concur, NZ are just a level above the rest and though a team can have a great day against them, for they seldom play badly, they'll get the job done 9 times in every 10. The greatest thing about rugby is you just don't know when the one in ten will arrive, could it be in a RWC final? It could, probably should been have last time but for a homer ref, the sprinter Joubert. If the Australia that trounced England rather than the one that slipped past Scotland hit them in the final it could be a great game.

Argentina on the other hand appear to have the same lack of belief against NZ that Ireland has, so I'm hoping that Australia win today, hoping rather than believing. If it's wet and the Aussie scrum struggles without Sio it could all go baps up, I think the Argies will give them everything they can handle, could be another tight one.

If rugby was as simple as Australia will beat Argentina and NZ will beat Australia, we'd barely watch it never mind post pages of drivel about it. It's likely, just not preordained.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Jizzer, you are right about Pocock, the fit version who we saw anhililate England is a match winner, McCalman is decent but not great. The Aussies need to be the better pack to win but if Pocock isn't right and Slipper struggles it could be Argentinas day.

Just hope it's a game worth watching.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.