Japan RWC

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Japan RWC

Post by big mervyn »

Shan wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:23 pm
for dog and ulcer wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:58 pm

What is clear is that Schmidt blamed Sexton and Stockdale for the loss. Not how a retiring coach should comment on his team.
Poor old Joe. Another Irish coach who stuck with guys thru thick and thin.

Joe did many great things during his time here but the last year has been a washout. He should be taking responsibility for his failings and leave us to call out the player's faults.
UAFC ahead of tge curve again. We've had him down as a ballbeg fir a few years now :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Little mention on here of a direct comparison of the AB second rowers and our two invisible men, and the AB back row 3.........and our invisible men.
Add to that the aimless kicking at 9 and 10, and we were lucky to keep the score below 60!
Tier 2 here we come.
Ireland and Italy out, and Japan and the Argies in
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Shan wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:20 pm Both wingers were poor. Both made big mistakes and both were shown up defensively.

Feel sorry for Rory Best. Tis a tough end for a great player.
I thought that Earls was OK and not bad defensively. I still rate him as Ireland's most dangerous back. Sadly, Ireland does not have the centres capable of giving the ball to Earls and Stockdale, two very good wings, with the space to do anything. They did not have an attacking opportunity in the whole RWC. I think next season will see Addison make the breakthrough as an international centre with real pace and footballing ability. Henshaw is willing but lumbering; Ringrose constantly threatens to do something brilliant, but never actually does. Farrell looked quite good, but Schmidt would not give him a game.
I want to see an Ireland team picked on actual form not reputation. The NZ coach has the balls to ditch Smith and Ioane, a couple who would have made it into many observers' World XV last year.
I will give Farrell a chance as coach to see what he does.

Re. Rory - he got a tremendous sendoff from the crowd and from the All Blacks themselves. Great career and great bloke who naver gave less than 100%.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Bobbievee wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:22 am Little mention on here of a direct comparison of the AB second rowers and our two invisible men, and the AB back row 3.........and our invisible men.
Add to that the aimless kicking at 9 and 10, and we were lucky to keep the score below 60!
Tier 2 here we come.
Ireland and Italy out, and Japan and the Argies in
The Argies are Tier 1, but they didn't grt out of their group, albeit a challenging one.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Some Taffy was trotting out the "which France will turn up" cliche the other day. His question may have been answered 😅
Big Neville Southall
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Some great play from France but they have not scored as much as they should have and it could bite them in the ass later. Gwan France.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Spiffsson wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:24 am
Shan wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:20 pm Both wingers were poor. Both made big mistakes and both were shown up defensively.

Feel sorry for Rory Best. Tis a tough end for a great player.
I thought that Earls was OK and not bad defensively. I still rate him as Ireland's most dangerous back. Sadly, Ireland does not have the centres capable of giving the ball to Earls and Stockdale, two very good wings, with the space to do anything. They did not have an attacking opportunity in the whole RWC. I think next season will see Addison make the breakthrough as an international centre with real pace and footballing ability. Henshaw is willing but lumbering; Ringrose constantly threatens to do something brilliant, but never actually does. Farrell looked quite good, but Schmidt would not give him a game.
I want to see an Ireland team picked on actual form not reputation. The NZ coach has the balls to ditch Smith and Ioane, a couple who would have made it into many observers' World XV last year.
I will give Farrell a chance as coach to see what he does.

Re. Rory - he got a tremendous sendoff from the crowd and from the All Blacks themselves. Great career and great bloke who naver gave less than 100%.
I agree with almost all of that. I thought Earls lost his defensive position a few times though but he scrambled well enough.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

What an absolute moron. Probably has cost France this game.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Yet again France beat themselves. Welsh were as awful today as Ireland yesterday but get lucky their opponents self destructed.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

SV is a big doubt for Clermont’s game against Ulster with a badly bruised elbow.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Nice one Barnesie
Big Neville Southall
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Pity Japan are making a few errors but strong South Africa hits is causing some of that. South Africa suffering from similar issue to Ireland....dangerous wings but no interest in getting the ball to them.

Still think South Africa will win and probably by about 15 points.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

I would be interested to see how an Ireland team picked on form would actually differ from the team that went out against the ABs. This was after all the number one team in the world according to the somewhat bewildering system used to decide this.

Stockdale was starved of any ball and yet seemingly highlighted on several occasions by pundits as at fault for seemingly everything that went wrong in more than that one match. His defensive flaw is obvious yet does he repeatedly put himself in those rushing positions of his own bat or on instruction.

I feel sorry for Rory and wish him all the best on the farm..

The only player that I think could have added anything was Addison who having been unlucky with injury was given a chance to prove himself again. I think he offers more than others and should have gone. Would Toner have made any difference I doubt it.

I said way back from ChicAgo that only the ABs would learn from that game and I think yesterday showed that. Ireland effectively stuck with team and believed that was the way forward whilst others including Reid two teams have moved past them..

Thank god Sexton in done and as for Farrell I see difficult times ahead and whilst other 6 N teams will start immediate World Cup rebuilds we will stay with the old guard minus Rory for at least another season..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

As expected South Africa have too much for Japan. Hopefully they can beat Wales next weekend.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

That backrow combo just doesn’t work, they’ve desperately missed Leavy, and SOBs total demise as a player. JVdF doesn’t carry effectively, doesn’t offer lineout option, doesn’t poach much ball at the breakdown....he has a good engine & tackles all day. POM offers lineout & occasional turnover. Doesn’t carry well, gives penalties away. Some say he has big moments, some say he doesn’t offer enough over 80mins. That puts all pressure on stander who aves approx 2m a carry. I’d say the heat should be on all 3.