RWC warm up matches

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

kUD
Novice

RWC warm up matches

Post by kUD »

I hope we use the 4 warm up games to test some different combinations rather than same old same old.
I was annoyed at the persistence with trying to play Murray and Sexton into form in the 6N, so i hope Cooney, Carty and Carbery all get a decent amount of game time in the next few weeks.
Also keen to see where Addison fits in, at 15 or at 13.
I think trying some different back row options will also be important, as I'm not sure what the best balanced combination is.
It was refreshing to see the ABs try out different options in the Rugby Championship even if it meant poor results.
It's pretty clear that they'd happily throw the championship if it meant a better world cup performance.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: RWC warm up matches

Post by Jackie Brown »

If I'm honest, I couldn't give a tom kite. FIRFU
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Addison injured and may not play in any warm up match for Ireland. Quite possibly a good thing for ulster
The King is dead. Long live the King.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Eniugh of an injury to keep him from being a tackle bag holder, but back in action by the first Ulster match - works for me.
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

Sorry to hear Addison injured and that it might risk his chance of a trip to Japan and the RWC but I must agree with Solidarty’s sentiments. If they aren’t going to be starting then let’s have them home and Leinster can play their Academy players and Munster can sign another injury joker.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

It seems ironic that the most dysfunctional backline in Irish Provences has so many representatives in the Irish squad--

Murray - Carberry- Scannell- Farrell-- Earls - Conroy-- and Haley

Exactly why it is a dysfunctional backline is not obvious and to be honest i personally don't put it all down to coaching there is something in Munster Rugby which leads to mistiming passes and what might be called "ball hugging " which deprives the backline from being a slick convincing unit.And despite Earls , whose timing and positioning is suspect , the unit defends well but to what extent this is due to the fact that Munster have a super back row is the question which remains unanswered.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Soda
Novice

Post by Soda »

'Addison injured' is starting to become a depressingly familiar refrain
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

Team to play Italy

Larmour; Conway, Ringrose, Farrell, Kearney D; Carbery, McGrath L; McGrath J, Herring, Porter; Kleyn, Toner; Ruddock (c), O'Donnell, Murphy

Scannell, Healy, Ryan, Henderson, Beirne, Marmion, Carty, Haley
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Well at least Joe is sticking to the rule that there must be one Kearney on the pitch.

Haley FFS. You're 'avin a laff mate. Guy is the worst alleged player I've seen since GVDH and the worst included an Irish squad since Chris Saverimutto.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

One adopted Ulsterman starter, one soon to be Ulsterman starter and one Ulster born sub. Don't misunderstand me, I'm a big Herring fan and anyone who buys into the shirt is an Ulsterman, but we are simply not prducing anywhere near as many top class players as we should through our school/club route.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

You forget Farrell was in the Ulster Academy and at least two Sons of Ulster who should be there aren't because of the Bitches of Macgillycuddy aided by the Gutless Wonder .

I refer to my previous post about the Munster backline as an attacking force it stutters and four of the backline are from players are from Munster with a player who when playing for the under20s several years ago looked class but injury has left him rather wanting at Provincial level never mind trying to play International rugby his presence proves the adage it is harder to be dropped than picked .
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

A team to play England has been selected about 18 hours ago and not one person has commented on the selection -- without Baggy the lot of you are brain dead .

My own comment is the team doesn't surprise me that greatly but with Ford and Farrell and two pacey wings playing for England I hope Ireland have developed a double full back defence because i believe Kearney will fine the English kicking game to be as difficulty to defend against as Henshaw and possible he could be worse because be lacks the reaction time and initial pace of Henshaw.

Similarly I hope the referee is willing to card the English for playing men without the ball and beyond the breakdown which is the key to their recycle attack.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Anyone actually care?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

That question should be heeded by the IRFU and indicate to them how badly they handled the PJ and SO situation.

I wrote to the BT and SL regarding an article by Suzanne Breen in which she wrote.

"It's entirely possible to respect the the jury's verdict and believe the complainant told her truth"

That is ,of course, is an impossiblity since if the Jury had believed " her truth " then the two defendants would have been found guilty of rape.

Lord alone knows which version" her truth" Suzanne Breen she believed. The complaintantl lied by commission and by omission every time she related the events of that night.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Jackie Brown wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:06 pm Anyone actually care?
No. I'll have a wee chuckle if Joe loses another 10, but other than that, no.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall