RWC warm up matches

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Frank
Novice

Re: RWC warm up matches

Post by Frank »

:cheers:
Too funny watching this bunch of primaradonas getting another humping.
Teams like NZ swallow the odd defeat to test their squad and tactics.
England are doing the same as are SA.
They know its at the world cup where you are truly judged.
Ireland peaked two years ago as we know.
Momentum is gone they are now going to struggle to get out of a group taken as a gimme when the draw was announced.

When all was rosary they thought they could turn their backs on their own without consequence.
Now it bites them on the Brennan.

2 Words for the IRFU -BEN STOKES
2 more words FECK OFF!
Vanhelsing
Novice

Post by Vanhelsing »

Let’s just forget Ireland’s journey to the WC. We are fooked.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I fear that Frank is right. Two years ago Ireland might well have won the thing. Now, should get out of the group but nothing more. Might not even beat Scotland.
Frank
Novice

Post by Frank »

Scotland?
I was thinking Russia!
England has always been a playful hate for me.
Ireland go beyond that now and are anti rugby in my view.
John Pullins England side showed more integrity and solidarity towards Ireland than this current shower will ever know.
And they faced actual terrorist threats with guns and bombs which tend to intimidate a bit more than keyboards do.
Why did they turn up?
Because it was about rugby and when it comes down to it we are supposed to stick together.
It's supposed to be the very nature of the game.
Last edited by Frank on Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Disgraceful performance really. Worst I've seen in years. I mentioned 2007 back in 6n time. Even more so now.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

To be honest once England got the 3rd try I think a few players went into survival mode especially after Murray went off for the knock on the head.

Carty seems to be the only Out Half other than Sexton who might control a game -- Carberry has never convinced me he controls the game, he either plays a free play as it comes way or by numbers and Byrne definitely didn't impress yesterday the game was to predictable when Ireland got the ball no variety being instilled at half back. Some players can raise their game when they come up a level -- others seem to freeze.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

The treatment of Paddy Jackson and John Cooney is coming back to bite them in big way. Will Cooney be recalled to the squad is the question. He certainly should be with his ability to cover two positions and to kick. Will the coach admit his error in dropping him. I very much doubt it.
Frank
Novice

Post by Frank »

Ironically Vodaphone and the Bank of Ireland now associated with a failing product in complete decline.
They all deserve each other.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Slap it up the lot of them
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Jackie Brown wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:58 am Slap it up the lot of them
:thumleft:

Ye have to laff Jackie :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
GLENN CORNICK
Squire

Post by GLENN CORNICK »

i suspect the IRFU would prefer putting misunderstood Jihadi Jack in the squad as opposed Jackson.With the full support of the fembotz.
Beware PC Filth of the Thought Police.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

The Best/Henderson combination as thrower and caller has unravelled so many times now. If Best plays then he needs Toner there, which unfortunately weakens ireland’s all round game. Best also contributes very little meaningful plays around the park these days.

Rory Best has been past it for a couple of seasons now and whatever leadership he provides does not make up for this.

Scannell or Herring need to take the jersey with Cronin as the perennial bench option.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Agreed Bart however there is an issue. On all last year's form you wouldn't select either Scannell or Herring. So you are still taking a hit.

Without a doubt in the games against decent and physical opposition the second row has to Hendo - Ryan.

Even if we resolve our front five problems the back row is a serious concern. Stander continues to demonstrate he is a one trick pony. Conan should have been in the team last season and he should be now. POM is another issue. He hasn't performed for nearly a year. If yer backrow is missing ya haven't a bloody hope no matter who else is in the team.

Then we have the untouchable Murray. If he doesn't magically find most of his previous form / ability he should not be selected.

Carty is far superior to Byrne but probably still not quite good enough at the very top level.

Aki is not good enough. I've said that from the outset. He kills any opportunity to move the ball.

Larmour seems to have become afraid of doing anything. Pointless selecting him and then wanting him to be cautious. Need Earls to stay fit.

Kearney should not be there but the only reasonable alternative is Addisson and looks like he is not available.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Warm up matches is all they are. Expect Ireland to hit their stride just before the QFs. That said, the old confidence has taken more of a blow than anyone expected. Probably another defeat this weekend but then it's build for the RWC.
All comes down to injuries. Full strength and Ireland can probably match anyone on the day and I would expect a very close QF with a possible SF. But if Sexton and a couple of others are injured then getting out of the group could even be a struggle.

NZ, England and SA look hard to beat. Oz, Ireland, Wales and Argentina can all have good days but probably don't have the squads to get to the final. Most open RWC in a while I reckon though with not a lot between those top sides.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

againstthehead wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:32 am Warm up matches is all they are. Expect Ireland to hit their stride just before the QFs. That said, the old confidence has taken more of a blow than anyone expected. Probably another defeat this weekend but then it's build for the RWC.
All comes down to injuries. Full strength and Ireland can probably match anyone on the day and I would expect a very close QF with a possible SF. But if Sexton and a couple of others are injured then getting out of the group could even be a struggle.

NZ, England and SA look hard to beat. Oz, Ireland, Wales and Argentina can all have good days but probably don't have the squads to get to the final. Most open RWC in a while I reckon though with not a lot between those top sides.
That's as good a summary as I've seen. It'll probably do Ireland no harm going into the WC without all last year's 'number 1 team in the world' hype surrounding them. Hate to say it, but Irish teams tend to under perform when they're given the label of favourites.