6N 2020

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Dharper
Steward

Re: 6N 2020

Post by Dharper »

I’d have had Addison over henshaw however I can understand the possible thinking behind it. If Larmour is injured Conway covers 15, Henshaw could do a job on the wing. If a centre goes down henshaw can play 12/13, has played with both centres & both 10s obviously, giving continuity.
If Addison was picked and there was an injury in the centre it would be a new combo & if he moves to 12 it’s a new 10/12 combo. I fully expect he’ll get gametime he’s a class player, but looks like AF doesn’t want to give the Scots any potential sniff.

I agree the Scots May target the lineout, but if there is any joy for them toner & Pom gives options on the bench. Disappointed for Cooney but I hope he gets a decent set of mins, maybe a new 8 added to the choice. I think that is a pretty strong looking pack overall, and the replacement front row looks dangerous if the game opens up.
What’s the weather for sat?
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Can I ask does anyone here think that the team is picked by anyone other than the coaching team, would be interested to know?

Given that the IRFU seem to prioritise the 6 nations over the world cup it does appear to lead to more short termism than say the All Blacks, so I guess that is the justification for Sexton, POM and so on. The feeling being that this is the selection most likely to win the match through their obvious talents and big game experience. I'm not fully supporting the selection but I can understand that with having two relative rookies at key positions of hooker and number 8 some of the old guard needs kept on to provide leadership.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

This is Farrell's first match in charge . This year he has to play both England and France away in the 6 Nations the odds of winning those two matches are not good therefore the Match against Scotland is a MUST win game for him .

With that in mind he was never going to be adventurous in his selection in this game backing experience off the bench in Toner and POM and starting with Herring at Hooker.

His problem then comes in the backs -- where he has basically a catch 22 selection -- if changes the half back combination and loses -- the media will eat him and he has no PLAN B. Thus he is left really with only one choice select experience for this match.

For Farrell the Game is a MUST win. If Joe had been in charge risks might have been option being Farrell's first he can't afford risks in his selection this season.Changes will be age and injury driven rather than trying to develop a Farrell squad or team especially if he wins this game. Plan B will be a break-glass option .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

If he loses without changing the half back combination the media will eat him......
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Maybe but plan B is still intact - change the half backs lose — the alternative is back to Sexton -Murray — which again leaves him open to the knives again
This way he can make changes in the future with the hope for win against the Scots to mark the start of his time in charge.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:37 pm Can I ask does anyone here think that the team is picked by anyone other than the coaching team, would be interested to know?

Given that the IRFU seem to prioritise the 6 nations over the world cup it does appear to lead to more short termism than say the All Blacks, so I guess that is the justification for Sexton, POM and so on. The feeling being that this is the selection most likely to win the match through their obvious talents and big game experience. I'm not fully supporting the selection but I can understand that with having two relative rookies at key positions of hooker and number 8 some of the old guard needs kept on to provide leadership.
I think it is reasonable to assume that the IRFU have some influence over selections of guys they are paying massive salaries to.

Overall the IRFU gives the coach a 6n finish target and he has to try to achieve that. That means no matter who you have as coach they have to have a level of conservatism. The IRFU would prefer to miss the target while trying to stumble their way to it than miss the target with a view to long term benefits. Down a level that results in Ireland trying not to lose games than trying to win them. It has been this way always.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The result of setting a target of course is agree basically one which leads to the mindset -- "don't lose your home games "-- sometimes it can translate into for a coach -- I must win my home games --- this desire -- gives rise to pick those you know ----

Now Farrell's selection -- I doubt if anyone has to much argument with his front 5 -- there are those who would like to see Kelleher start but be honest it was never going to happen -- zero experience, age , and coming back from injury -- the best he could expect was bench.

The Back-row was were changes were expected and have been made PoM on the bench the factors in his favour being --known motivation, line out option, and experience. The combined bench of Toner and POM provides Kelleher with options in the line out of known experience.

The Cooney - factor -- most of the hype around Cooney is based on his individuality and support play and not on his basic skills as a scrum half -- which to be fair are not that much, if any better, than Murray's --- I think into the equation must be factored the Sexton effect -- Sexton has an ego which demands that he calls the shots and directs the match -- which doesn't sit well with a scrum half who plays frequently as an individualist.

The rest of the backline is one where selection comes down to our own preferences ie Henshaw -ALI or Stockdale --not much to argue about if any one of the 3 were selected at 12-- Ringrose was always going to start at 13,if fit.

Back 3 nobody can really argue against the selections based on current form and experience --after Kearney was omitted from the squad.

Hence the lack of any real debate on the team selected .
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Well no Rum, it's because Cooney is consistently Ulster's match winner.

I don't really buy this "individualist" stuff - have you been listening to Luke Fitzgerald and Cooney's alleged indifference to the 'game plan'?

You're not telling me that Dan doesn't have a game plan and kind of expects his players to follow it, notwithstanding a certain freedom to play some heads up rugby when the opportunity presents itself.

Save for one chip down the blindside against Clermont, where exactly does this maverick Cooney persona actually come from?

The fact of the matter is that Ulster's backline are scoring plenty of tries this season, aided and abetted by Cooney and in contrast to Murray and Munster.

His box-kicking has also been excellent this season and I'd rather put my mortgage on him nailing a crucial kick than Janny.

Some journalists have diplomatically tried to explain the decision on the basis that there's a new face at 8. So what? Half the French squad don't have a single cap between them.

The only explanation that makes sense to me is that Sexton, as rumoured, doesn't like him.

Save for 12, the team more or less picked itself but the one key decision Farrell had to make he has bottled.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The hype around Cooney is created by his try scoring most are based on support play not his adherence to a game plan -- which is basic scrum half plays such as feed X or Y to create field position to kick for touch if inside the 22 or space for a box kick if outside -- feed X,Y or Z in the hope of a quick recycle to feed the backs.

The one thing Cooney has improved is his box-kick -- which the area of Murrays game which has worsen in the last 18 months -- but personally i doubt if his pass is quicker or stronger than Murrays and maybe less consistent.

His place kicking is an non essential asset with Sexton playing -- thus I sense the Selection of Murray could be a Sexton call and as Captain and out half he could well have in put .

To compare the Ulster back line to that of Munster is a chalk and cheese comparison really bar the Munster wings I wouldn't have any of them -- tackling carthorses .
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Cooney running support lines and chipping in with some tries was actually very much part of Ulster's game plan this season - certainly he was challenged to add this to his game and he has done so.

Kicking a non essential asset when Sexton playing?

Really?

He tries to find an excuse to hand over kicking duties to Murray every other game.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Cooney runs the show for UR, not 10, and no need to mention RP prior. URs gameplan isn’t implemented by 10, its 9. If JC went off script & was a liability DMcF would have him out the door, simple fact is we play from him not Burns.
Sexton wants control & call shots....understandably. The last thing he needs is a new 9 to bond with with no real experience together (for several yrs at least) & doing it in a must win home game. Hence going for tried & tested & hopefully improving Murray.....we’ll see Sat. Some People say cooney has been not quite so good last 6weeks compared to before - I call bs. Ultimately when u use a man of match award against the feck ospreys as justification of form/selection esp from Alan quinlan.....you’re desperate.
Personally I don’t think there is a lot in it re pass delivery/speed, getting to rucks etc, ideally they’d both be faster/more accurate.
Re “tries”....Murray was superb 5mrtres out from ruck/scrum.....but not for 18mths.
Cooney....I genuinely cannot believe in the media people criticising saying his pts are from tries. If as mentioned above his tries are from “support play” again, what’s the problem? If ire want to play an open progressive game, once we break down a defensive line are we not looking to encourage support trailing lines, so rather than a 30m break, we actually finish the move off?....if no, can someone let NZ know too? They’ve been doing it wrong for yrs.
People can downplay the place kicking. However 1 - he’s better than Murray. 2 if Sexton is off injured I know who I’d prefer for a 45m on the angle out wide pen to win a game, and it ain’t Murray.
The trouble with cooney is he didn’t know his place...he wasn’t prepared to sit on a bench. He moved to make the most of his talent - twice, and thank Christ HE orchestrated the move north.
I wish both lads luck for sat they both deserve selection - I hope they both get sufficient gametime to show their talent. We need to see if Cooney is up to international standard and whether Murray is the same player he was 2 yrs ago. By the end of the 6ns we will get our answer, and at 29 - I’d bin either if the answer is no - there are plenty of young scrum halves to go for....the summer tour to Oz is the interesting one for me.

Re the clear “niggle” at the BOD “dog comments” - I’m glad, he has a point. It’s easy to play the old....the games moved on card, he’s out of touch. Bullshit, Ire have been found out last 12mths when they get physically matched/beaten up front. We lose the gainline. We lose the ruck speed, killing the backline....it’s pretty simple to see.... and totally killed any chance of us controlling the games. They didn’t have the firepower to respond to it, & I’ll happily have a forward with a bit of bite. Hopefully it’ll be a motivator over the entire 6ns.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Looking at the strapping on Sextons leg I sense that it is in an iffy state -- and that for the next two years he'll be wrapped in cotton wool in the hope that one of the Byrnes matures into an outhalf -- at the moment Ross looks doubtful at International level IMHO.

If ---BIG IF -- Sexton is delicate it could be a very conservative game indeed with the ball being passed to Aki acting as out half to initiate line speed, which could explain Murray's selection because he may have a quicker longer pass than Cooney.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Is the U20 game tonight being broadcast, streamed, or even radiod outside of Ireland tonight?
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

rumncoke wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:33 am Looking at the strapping on Sextons leg I sense that it is in an iffy state -- and that for the next two years he'll be wrapped in cotton wool in the hope that one of the Byrnes matures into an outhalf -- at the moment Ross looks doubtful at International level IMHO.

If ---BIG IF -- Sexton is delicate it could be a very conservative game indeed with the ball being passed to Aki acting as out half to initiate line speed, which could explain Murray's selection because he may have a quicker longer pass than Cooney.

They could always give JJ a chance. He is world class according to some Munster fans. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Two of Bath’s tight 5 that played against us are involved for England.

Jones is saying that he’s resting Mako for the game in Scotland.