Lions 2021

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Lions 2021

Post by big mervyn »

Bart S wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:56 pm Sinckler didn’t suggest there was anything “unfair” in his non selection and had the good grace to wish those picked all the best.He has missed out on what for players remains the biggest accolade in terms of selection and what he described as the best experience of his life in 2017......minus the arrest presumably!

The fact that Cave went on in later years to say how great it was to work with Joe Schmidt and how Jared Payne was a better player than him was maybe refreshingly honest, but does take away from his original gripe.

I’m no great fan of Sinckler (though I do think he’s a good player and should have been picked) and I don’t get all of the hype around the interview but it’s pretty clear that it’s not an ego trip on his part and his intentions with the words he said were pretty commendable in my opinion. He has been very open about working with a mental health mentor in more recent times and how that has helped him cope with the disappointment. Fair play to him I say.

Both Cave and Sinckler were passionate in their own ways and expressed disappointment with good reason IMHO. I certainly don’t think Sinckler’s disappointment and reaction was any less justified than Cave’s though.
Might have been, but he was about 12K miles short of being an Irishman.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Sinckler said 'it didn't make sense'. He got arrested on the last tour why is he surprised about not being picked now?

I also remember him telling the terrace to f*** off.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Danny Care also miffed but in a more polite way. Apparently he has got "the letter " telling him he is under consideration 3 or 4 times, but has never made it into the touring squad. Must be hard to take.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Billy V may be regretting saying that the Lions would have won 3 0 in NZ if Eddie Jones had been at the helm.

Mako certainly has the fraternal bragging rights sewn up. 3 0 to him Billy.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Am I being too hard when I say, 'Catch a grip, big lad. This is what we grown-ups call 'disappointment'. It's not particularly nice but life goes on. And, while I'm at it, if it doesn't motivate you to bust a gut to play like a demon in your next match, you're probably not worth a place any way.'
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

solidarity wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:04 pm
Am I being too hard when I say, 'Catch a grip, big lad. This is what we grown-ups call 'disappointment'. It's not particularly nice but life goes on. And, while I'm at it, if it doesn't motivate you to bust a gut to play like a demon in your next match, you're probably not worth a place any way.'
Not being too hard at all, we all have disappointments in our lives and at the end of the day he might get called up as a replacement anyway. Anyone who plays sport at a high level is always going to have their fair share of disappointments, sure didn't Richie McCaw fail by the All Blacks standards in not winning the 2007 World Cup.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

After all the crying. Sinckler is called up to replace the injured Porter.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Dave wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:49 pm After all the crying. Sinckler is called up to replace the injured Porter.
Tears of joy called for now, presumably. :roll:
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

What a disaster this Rainbow Cup has been. Now Porter loses out with a silly toe injury, in a meaningless game, from a key moment of his career.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Hendy starts against Japan.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Hopefully he hits the ground running. He was unfortunate to be involved on the first tour game last time and was playing catch up the rest of the trip.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

Apparently they're still deciding whether or not to give this match test status - if they do won't this be Hendy's first Lions test? It should be a test in my view - its a full international team, not a regional team like other warm up games.

I also think the blossoms could give them a scare. They're an extremely mobile team and the way they played themselves around Ireland could well see them ask questions of the Lions.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

allezlesverres wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:48 pm Apparently they're still deciding whether or not to give this match test status - if they do won't this be Hendy's first Lions test? It should be a test in my view - its a full international team, not a regional team like other warm up games.

I also think the blossoms could give them a scare. They're an extremely mobile team and the way they played themselves around Ireland could well see them ask questions of the Lions.
First current Ulster player to win a test cap since Jeremy Davidson?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

big mervyn wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:42 pm
allezlesverres wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:48 pm Apparently they're still deciding whether or not to give this match test status - if they do won't this be Hendy's first Lions test? It should be a test in my view - its a full international team, not a regional team like other warm up games.

First current Ulster player to win a test cap since Jeremy Davidson?
Tommy Bowe, five tests albeit it technically at Ospreys in 2009 for three of those tests, back at Ulster 2013 for the last two.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18