Lions 2021

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Re: Lions 2021

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Decision to go for the tap and go when SA are down to 13 on their own line..... dumb as dirt

Scrum please sir!
Lions man up in the scrum, and Saffers with no scrum half

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:Decision to go for the tap and go when SA are down to 13 on their own line..... dumb as dirt

Scrum please sir!

Incredible decision.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dave wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:19 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote:Decision to go for the tap and go when SA are down to 13 on their own line..... dumb as dirt

Scrum please sir!

Incredible decision.
Rumnmurray?
Last edited by UlsterNo9 on Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Good contest this. I hope the tests are as good.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Decent game but disappointed by the Lions.

Hendy completely outplayed by Itoje and even Beard when he came on. With Murray's poor captaincy and Hendy's poor game tonight I could see AWj and Itoje starting in the 1st test.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Bart S wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:11 pm Hendy completely outplayed by Itoje and even Beard when he came on. With Murray's poor captaincy and Hendy's poor game tonight I could see AWj and Itoje starting in the 1st test.
Agreed
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Think of the great Lions outhalves down the years,........And today we have Farrell???? Not even the best No 10 in England
Hawkeye
Novice

Post by Hawkeye »

Snipe Watson wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:33 pm
Bart S wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:11 pm Hendy completely outplayed by Itoje and even Beard when he came on. With Murray's poor captaincy and Hendy's poor game tonight I could see AWj and Itoje starting in the 1st test.
Agreed
Not so sure Hendi had that bad a game. Itoje ‘gives in one hand and takes away with the other’. Look at the player match stats for the game. Agreed when he is on form he gives go forward but def can be a penalty machine. That said I think AWJ will start with Itoje and Hendi will be on the bench as impact sub.
Hawkeye
Novice

Post by Hawkeye »

Did I see Faf de Klerk deliberately put an elbow into Hendi’s face in the middle of a ruck or was I seeing things?
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

It was almost like Hendy was resigned to AWJ starting the tests. He looked sluggish and contributed little.

Beard was very good off the bench and did much more in 20 mins than Hendy did in 60.

Beard or Lawes could get the bench spot ahead of Hendy now which would be disappointing for him but I felt he really blew a big chance tonight.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Selection is going to be tricky given all the circumstances.

Curry’s performance against a proper side yesterday has got to put him in good stead. Anthony Watson was prominent too.

Thought I saw Henshaw warming up but he’s going to need to play against the Stormers.

Hendy just about held his own without impressing. Beard came on against a tiring pack.
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

There is no doubt that Itoje had a very good game and ‘caught the eye’, but as Sir Ian McGeechan rightly said - Henderson does a huge amount of work off the ball (especially rucks and mauls) - his view was that Henderson was a nailed on starter (before AWJ’s return) and Itoje would be a good partner for him, but now there was competition between them with AWJ’s return. It is also well recognised that Henderson is sublime at calling the line outs etc. In sum Henderson did not have a bad or even mediocre game yesterday he had a very good game but was just was not cast in the limelight.
Hope is not a strategy.
richardt84
Novice

Post by richardt84 »

Hans Indaruck wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:50 am There is no doubt that Itoje had a very good game and ‘caught the eye’, but as Sir Ian McGeechan rightly said - Henderson does a huge amount of work off the ball (especially rucks and mauls) - his view was that Henderson was a nailed on starter (before AWJ’s return) and Itoje would be a good partner for him, but now there was competition between them with AWJ’s return. It is also well recognised that Henderson is sublime at calling the line outs etc. In sum Henderson did not have a bad or even mediocre game yesterday he had a very good game but was just was not cast in the limelight.
Think Henderson’s game, and judgement of it, was summed up by a couple of instances where he had a big involvement which was overlooked. First one Owens and Henderson were over the ball and referee awarded the penalty citing both players as being over the ball and commentators started praising Owens without any acknowledgement of Henderson. Second one was where Itoje was praised for a turnover on a maul and while he was excellent in that instance Henderson also had a significant involvement but there was no acknowledgement.

After the game Gatland noted the maul defence and scrums as positives, hopefully Henderson’s contribution to those counts in his favour when it comes to test selection.
Hawkeye
Novice

Post by Hawkeye »

richardt84 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:04 am
Hans Indaruck wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:50 am There is no doubt that Itoje had a very good game and ‘caught the eye’, but as Sir Ian McGeechan rightly said - Henderson does a huge amount of work off the ball (especially rucks and mauls) - his view was that Henderson was a nailed on starter (before AWJ’s return) and Itoje would be a good partner for him, but now there was competition between them with AWJ’s return. It is also well recognised that Henderson is sublime at calling the line outs etc. In sum Henderson did not have a bad or even mediocre game yesterday he had a very good game but was just was not cast in the limelight.
Think Henderson’s game, and judgement of it, was summed up by a couple of instances where he had a big involvement which was overlooked. First one Owens and Henderson were over the ball and referee awarded the penalty citing both players as being over the ball and commentators started praising Owens without any acknowledgement of Henderson. Second one was where Itoje was praised for a turnover on a maul and while he was excellent in that instance Henderson also had a significant involvement but there was no acknowledgement.

After the game Gatland noted the maul defence and scrums as positives, hopefully Henderson’s contribution to those counts in his favour when it comes to test selection.
Totally agree with all of the above. There appears to be a blind spot with commentators in relation to Henderson’s involvement in significant moments. Last nights match showed what the SA approach is going to be - aggression. Final thought - KEEP THE BALL AWAY FROM KOLBE!
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

richardt84 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:04 am

I felt Hendy had a fair/good game, but he did look a bit sluggish and I dont think will have done himself any favours re the test team. He might find himself in stiff competition with Itoje and/or AWJ where before yesterday I think he would have been one of the first names on the sheet.

I did wonder as I was watching him if he felt he had a test berth nailed down and he just wanted to make sure he didn't ship an injury. He certainly didn't have the sort of explosive moments he has had in previous auditions. I still think overall it would take a miracle for him not to get a test cap this tour. Until AWJ came back, the starting 2nd row was definitely Itoje and Hendy. AWJ will displace one of them for some of the tour but he isn't going to be fit enough to do all the tests. Even Beard will fancy his chances of getting a run at some point, if only off the bench.