Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Lions 2021

Post by Snipe Watson »

Hendy has been great on tour so far, but was quiet against the A's
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

2 tackles and 1 metre made. He only took a couple of lineouts if I recall.

If that was not an Ulster player and someone praised their unseen work they would be ridiculed here.

In the biggest game of the tour he was the 3rd best lock by some distance and the tour capt plays in his position and is available now.

Last night felt like Itoje said "bring it on" in terms of awj's return whilst Hendy retreated into his shell.

Not good enough against the Boks
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Bart S wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:39 pm 2 tackles and 1 metre made. He only took a couple of lineouts if I recall.

If that was not an Ulster player and someone praised their unseen work they would be ridiculed here.

In the biggest game of the tour he was the 3rd best lock by some distance and the tour capt plays in his position and is available now.

Last night felt like Itoje said "bring it on" in terms of awj's return whilst Hendy retreated into his shell.

Not good enough against the Boks
It's hard to argue with the fact that first time out against proper opposition Hendy flunked his lines and Itoje excelled.
That's how I'd see it if I were Gatland. There are no Mulligans on a tour of this intensity, so if AWJ delivers off the bench on Saturday, he'll start the first test.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Cormac wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:08 pm
Dublin4 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:58 pm Now that Jones is going back to the tour, he can take over as captain and Gatland can send Murray home or just leave him hanging around. Big mistake bringing Murray. He has little to offer. Gatland must have had a brain storm to pick him never mind making him captain.
Murray is still a good bit better than Price or Davies.
Not so sure Murray is any better than either … Garland will hope to get AWJ back in time to Dom e captaincy tag and allow for better 9 options ..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Surprised to see Hendy get some flak. I thought he was again excellent. He and Itoje were a good partnership I thought. It was a pulsating game so no room for any passengers. Itoje goes for the big plays. The blocks and the maul turnovers. I think he gave away two pens at maul if I'm not mistaken but overall much improved in that regard. I think the feeling is to keep Itoje out of the ruck. Hendo does his best work in there. He has racked up a lot of minutes on tour already.

It is the graft that Hendy always provides, which is easily missed. Also he is a key cog at scrum time. Also as said it was his turnover not Owens. Hendy was in first, Owens stayed in to lift the ball after the whistle for the cameras.

Hendy and Itoje should be nailed on starts. AWJ's miracle return is fanciful at this stage. He's played 8 minutes vs Japan. I can't see him being parachuted at this stage into a test match.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Fact is we do not know what Henderson's instructions were before the game and he has also possibly played more games than other second rows so far on the tour.

Personally I am not convinced that AWJ is a a guaranteed test Starter in either of the first two tests -- is possibly still affected by the injury and has also very little game time in SA . ( could be on the bench )

Wednesday's game was a very Physical encounter with SA a's out to "rough it" a tactic often used against the Lion's before a test a fact which may have influenced the nature of the Lions approach.

The biggest difference between the sides was the quality of the kicking especially "Box" kicking The SA "box kicks were contestable and put the Lions under pressure SA a's were seldom under pressure by the Lions kicks even the cross field's by Farrell who had a rather poor game and looked hesitant on several occasions -- with both Russell and Bigger Injured the Lions have a problem -- I don't doubt the skills of Marcus Smith but 2 games for England A against weak second tier sides is not the level of experience necessary to Play a Test against SA.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Opposition weak today but I think Price, Cowan Dickie, Bears and Beirne were all good. Price may rely on AWJ being captain to get the nod.

Dont think Hendy will make the 23. He'll pay the price for wednesfay.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

I think hendo will make the bench. No point putting AWJ there if he is to be involved in the 23. Better to start your tour captain and being on a fresh Henderson with 30 to go.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Sutherland
Cowan-Dickie
Furlong
Itoje
AWJ
Beirne
Watson
Curry
Murray
Biggar
Adams
Henshaw
Daly
Watson
Williams
Hawkeye
Novice

Post by Hawkeye »

The 3 test matches will be attritional so there will be a good chance the final test team will look completely different to the first one so all players could have a chance of a test cap.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

jean valjean wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:40 pm I think hendo will make the bench. No point putting AWJ there if he is to be involved in the 23. Better to start your tour captain and being on a fresh Henderson with 30 to go.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Lawes is likely to cover 4-6 off the bench.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Snipe Watson wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:51 pm Sutherland
Cowan-Dickie
Furlong
Itoje
AWJ
Beirne
Watson
Curry
Murray
Biggar
Adams
Henshaw
Daly
Watson
Williams
Not far off.

I reckon he’ll start George and Toby.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Wyn Jones I think will start
Liam Williams recovered from HIA?

My other call is that he'll pick one or both of either Hogg or Farrell, he needs a 2nd option of 9, Biggar cannot be doing all of the play making
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:07 am
Cowan-Dickie
Furlong
Itoje
AWJ
Beirne
Watson
Curry
Murray
Biggar
Adams
Henshaw
Daly
Watson
Williams
Not far off.

I'd agree with Justin on the pack with Harris sneaking in ahead of Daly at 13

Bench of Mako, LCD, Sinckler, Lawes, Watson, price, Farrell, Daly
waggonsroll
Initiate

Post by waggonsroll »

Bart S wrote:
justinr73 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:07 am
Cowan-Dickie
Furlong
Itoje
AWJ
Beirne
Watson
Curry
Murray
Biggar
Adams
Henshaw
Daly
Watson
Williams
Not far off.

I'd agree with Justin on the pack with Harris sneaking in ahead of Daly at 13

Bench of Mako, LCD, Sinckler, Lawes, Watson, price, Farrell, Daly
I'd be more inclined to speculate on who gets tested positive for covid and therefore is ruled out. My money would be on Farrell with all his acolytes having to self isolate.

Sent from my 5001D_EEA using Tapatalk