Lions 2021

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Hans Indaruck
Squire

Re: Lions 2021

Post by Hans Indaruck »

waggonsroll wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:03 pmI'd be more inclined to speculate on who gets tested positive for covid and therefore is ruled out. My money would be on Farrell with all his acolytes having to self isolate.

Sent from my 5001D_EEA using Tapatalk
Given the attritional nature of the three tests and the virulence of COVID in SA I think a sizeable chunk of the overall Lions squad could end up with a test cap!
Hope is not a strategy.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Hans Indaruck wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:09 pm Given the attritional nature of the three tests and the virulence of COVID in SA I think a sizeable chunk of the overall Lions squad could end up with a test cap!
They have had very few injuries so far, but as you say it is likely to be a robust series.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

The Bulls managed to beat SA ‘A’ yesterday, albeit a weaker side than the one the Lions faced.

No sign of Marcell.
volvo
Novice

Post by volvo »

Woodward saying today quote:“I’d pick Farrell” – Sir Clive Woodward selects his Lions XV – and fans hate it
18th July 2021 Rugby Rucker
SECOND-ROW:
4. Maro Itoje (England)
5. Ian Henderson (Ireland)
Woodward wrote: “At lock, Itoje is shoo-in and Iain Henderson is possibly the pick of the bunch, but everybody is going well, Jonny Hill, Adam Beard and then Courtney Lawes and Tadgh Beirne, who have been moonlighting at six.

“The recovery of Alun Wyn Jones has been remarkable but can he really start on Saturday? For me it’s a risk, I think he will be on the bench.”

Cant spell "Iain" or "Tadhg" :roll:
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

For me a week ago Hendy was nailed on to start. If he had played well on Weds then I think even with AWJ coming back he would have started, with AWJ on the bench.

Lions tours are about form and momentum and Hendy’s very poor performance on Weds will cost him. Even the Belfast Tele thinks he could miss out altogether after Weds and Beard’s good showing off the bench, plus the versatility of Lawes and Beirne.

It has been so long since Hendy played 6 that I don’t think he can be considered there even off the bench.

Hope he gets some pitch time during the series but there is a real chance now that he may not get a look in.

For me Furlong and Beirne are the only nailed on Irish starters, with Murray and Henshaw having a good chance also.

Aki, Conan and Hendy are outsiders for me,
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I wouldn’t worry too much about the BT article.

Sadlier took a brolly out with him yesterday.

He could put a downer on winning the lottery.
flatpass
Novice

Post by flatpass »

😆😆
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

To hark back a bit re No 9 -Tap or scrum - their is actually little to choose between the options playing 15 -14

Why the chances are the scrum will collapse at least twice-- resetting slowly -- to eat into the time the guy is in the bin it may collapse a third time to a penalty to the lions on the second or third penalty the ref will penalise the lions ( given who the ref was )

The decision is actually not that clear cut.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Given the quality of Marcus Smiths game on Saturday he could get the call at 10 -- He may be inexperience but he appears to the type of player who is influenced by the quality of the players he is with and lift his game to that standard -- others moving up freeze mentally he didn't his only apparent weakness to me would be he appears to have a weak pass delivery -- a semi lob rather than the quick snap pass of Paddy Jackson which can travel to the wing omitting the centres .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Starting farrell and henshaw as a 12-13 allows a 6-2 split on the bench. A scrum half and daly ensures all positions in the backline can be covered with a bit of rejigging. The 1st test will be a war upfront so gats will want the ability to make significant changes if needed.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

You’re right but I’m hoping you’re not.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Screenshot_20210720-140508_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20210720-140508_Instagram.jpg (112.36 KiB) Viewed 339 times
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

That’s a formidable Springboks side in anyone’s book!
Hope is not a strategy.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I think the lions could have a right go at that front row. The stronger front row is on the springbok bench.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

All 3 test matches now in Cape Town, tests 2 & 3 were due to be in Joburg.