Lions 2021

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Lions 2021

Post by Dave »

Advantage lions
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

The Times have Hendy on the bench in a 'leaked' team.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

It has LCD, Conan, Price, Hogg and DVDM in the 15.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

If that’s the team there are a few shocks in there.

Would imagine Liam Williams is maybe not fully fit or too, much of a risk.

Josh Adams will be gutted. Not sure what else he could have done to get a start. I expect the Boks to target Van ser Merwe as a potential weak link defensively in the back 3.

As someone else here said, you need Daly if you want a 6/2 bench split.

Tadhg Beirne will be very disappointed not to be starting as he has been one of the form forwards. Not sure what else he could have done. Great 6 nations and great tour so far.
Lawes has been used sparingly. Thought he would make the bench but surprised if he starts.

Well done Conan if he gets the no.8 jersey. Though Taulupe would get it as he has done well in the past.

If true then Hendy is the beneficiary of the 6/2 split - wonder if some of that is due to lingering fears over AWJ’s ability to last a hard 50 or 60 minutes.

Would be great for Hendy to get on during the test though.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Hogg; A Watson, E Daly, R Henshaw, D van der Merwe; D Biggar, A Price; W Jones, L Cowan-Dickie, T Furlong, A W Jones (c), M Itoje, C Lawes, T Curry, J Conan.
Replacements K Owens, R Sutherland, K Sinckler, T Beirne, H Watson, I Henderson, C Murray, O Farrell

If this is the team then the biggest shock has to be scrum half, to go from captain to not starting is some crack. Agree on Josh Adams, and Conan I would have guessed he was 3rd choice number 8, but what do I know. The strength of both sides forward replacements is incredible, going to be one hell of a test. Springboks favourites being at home and having so many players who have played together for so long.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Indeed. It is clear that Murray’s form over the last few weeks was not what the Lions coaches were expecting and with AWJ now back he has got the axe. Wonder who would be captain if AWJ goes off? Looks like Hogg would be the one as I think he is the only one who has captained so far who is starting.

Gatland is not afraid of making big calls, something Irish rugby could learn from.

Given the 9’s available which was seen as the weakest position I think there was a case for taking a “form 9” even if not 1st choice at international level. Cooney if fit would have been ideal or even Danny Care. Ali Price has been good whereas the other 2 have underperformed. In Murray’s case he has had the odd good game since his neck injury but a lot more mediocre or poor ones.

By contrast all 3 hookers are in very good form and must have been a tough call to leave one out. Thought LCD would be the best bench option and then a toss up between the other 2 to start. Jamie George very unlucky but whichever one was left out was going to be unlucky.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Murray had a bad game against the As his box kicking was extremely poor -- the ball was never contestable -- and basically a free run for two dangerous wingers .

I expect De Klerk to box kick at the wings who will forced to go for the ball and get man and ball and a thumping.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Murray's game is built around smooth/silky passing and a metronomic box kick. When that doesn't go according to plan the coach will be thinking about putting someone in with a decent break or a known support line runner.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Dave wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:12 am Murray's game is built around smooth/silky passing and a metronomic box kick. When that doesn't go according to plan the coach will be thinking about putting someone in with a decent break or a known support line runner.
There's a lad at Ulster who has been doing that for a while now. Goes by the name of Cooney.

In some ways for Cooney being injured right now may diminish the disappointment of seeing someone whom he is better than starting for the Lions.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Henderson misses out on 23, Lions going 5-3 on bench with Liam Williams on bench, otherwise leaked team was spot on. Matching up v South Africa who also went 5-3 split.

Hogg; A Watson, E Daly, R Henshaw, D van der Merwe; D Biggar, A Price; W Jones, L Cowan-Dickie, T Furlong, A W Jones (c), M Itoje, C Lawes, T Curry, J Conan.

Replacements K Owens, R Sutherland, K Sinckler, T Beirne, H Watson, C Murray, O Farrell, L Williams.
Last edited by Neill_M on Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Looks like Henderson not in squad with Liam William's there instead
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

If AWJ doesn't make the 80 mins, where does the second row cover come from?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Bobbievee wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:19 am If AWJ doesn't make the 80 mins, where does the second row cover come from?
Beirne and Lawes.
Last edited by Neill_M on Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
chunky
Novice

Post by chunky »

Loads of options.

Lawes to 2nd Row - Beirne to 6
Lawes to 2nd Row - Watson to 6
Lawes to 2nd Row - Curry to 6 Watson to 7
Beirne to 2nd Row
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Gatland being a Gatland. How has he picked Lawes at 6 over Beirne?

Anyway, go Bokke.