Lions 2021

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Lions 2021

Post by Dave »

Gatland out
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Dave wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:34 pm Four countries versus one. Behind the hype that's all it is. Lions have to win with no home fans or bin the concept.
But is the challenge not can you create a "team" inside 2-4 weeks which is capable of beating one international country playing in front of their own fans?

The consistent outcome seems to be No, and the most recent series seems to be the perfect example of that.

But I would support keeping the concept
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Saffers deserved the win although nice to see the Lions going for the win, rather than take three points near the end.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

It's been debated ad nauseum. Each to their own.

Although I will say. it is always a joy to watch Cheslin Kolbe. Produces the goods at the highest levels.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

This tour like many other Covid limited events has been a major disappointment. There was precious little rugby played, but that's what happens when the Boks meet Warrenball.
I'm not convinced that the Lions should have a future. The concept seems a bit tired, past its sell-by. The hosts seem keen enough on the commercial windfall that accompanies tours so I'd imagine it'll struggle on for a few more cycles.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Been saying it's an embarrassing anachronism for a while, certainly in the pro era.

6N v the Championship might be a better concept
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

What about country of origin? Players go back to play for their native countries...

Saffers play for SA. Kiws play for NZ.

Any takers?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Dave wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:32 pm What about country of origin? Players go back to play for their native countries...

Saffers play for SA. Kiws play for NZ.

Any takers?
Boys playing for the countries they were born and brought up in? Don't be daft :lol: :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Bangors
Novice

Post by Bangors »

It may be boring BUT the Lions should have kicked all their penalties and built a lead. Three points guaranteed is better than a possible five/seven.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

and poor Liam Williams now has two , not just one, "Ogara I should not have done that" moments to live with the for the rest of his life
Firstly missing the try in the first half by not using the overlap 20M out
and secondly, missing the Kolbe tackle.

Ok, the second one might be a bit harsh.........everybody misses Kolbe tackles, but the first one will linger

Bledisloe Cup match was better, and Australia could indeed have won it with the mantra of taking the 3 points when available, and then .......oh....... successfully kicking the ball between the posts. I think the Aussie 10 eventually managed two out of 7 kick attempts. But the big difference between the two matches was the Aus/NZ match using forwards to establish territory, possession and eventually space for backs to exploit those spaces and score 7 pointers.

I think it is actually called " rugby" ????
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

The mighty Lions.

1 series win in 24 years.
24 years since a win against SA
50 years since a win against NZ
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Liked Will Greenwood's comments - knows his way round.
Disappointed in Nigel Owens - didn't seem at ease at all.
Harrison is a decent commentator.
Can't remember if it was Greenwood or Harrison who commented that, in comparison with SA's current economic and social crisis, Covid etc, rugby isn't at all important, then said, 'We are able to lose ourselves in the wonderful diversion of sport.' Bang on.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rassie Erasmus gets his comeuppance.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/59318939