Lions 2021

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Re: Lions 2021

Post by Bart S »

Some of the lineouts dont look too straight either.

Anyway - dullest first half of rugby I have seen in a long time and the number of stoppages was incredible. Boks bossed 2nd half. Lions lost aerial battle and set piece.

Liam William's and Josh Adam's must be likely starters and expect to see more of Tadgh Beirne, potentially starting. Need Wyn Jones back also.
Bangors
Novice

Post by Bangors »

I thought that taking a player out in the air was an automatic RED card - or does that law only apply if it’s an ulsterman
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

What is Hogg's role? He has been shocking so has vDM. They're both useless under a high ball in traffic.
Williams and Adams should have been in from day one.
AWJ has shown his age and should be replaced by Lawes with Bierne at 6 and Hendy on the bench.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

I'd start hendo in the row and put maro at 6 with Lawes and beirne on the bench. Aki at 12 with Adams and Williams replacing the 2 Scots. Hogg has been gash and VDM is a poor man's North.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Maul defence was also shocking. Hendy would help with that.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Penalties are being won by the ball caŕier => don't kick away possession

2nd qtr was best - a few phases strung together, Bokke on back foot.

Who did the lions' HT talk? The SA waterboy?

If your only game plan is the aerial battle, then you have to have personnel who can can compete in the air.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Snipe Watson wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:26 am Maul defence was also shocking. Hendy would help with that.
In the A game Adam Beard was much more prominent in that role.

Would be great to see Hendy make the bench. Tactics so far have been to have lock cover in case of need rather than proactively replace. Think they will look to address this and shuffle the bench to have a lock replacement on there.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Bart S wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:39 pm
Snipe Watson wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:26 am Maul defence was also shocking. Hendy would help with that.
In the A game Adam Beard was much more prominent in that role.

Would be great to see Hendy make the bench. Tactics so far have been to have lock cover in case of need rather than proactively replace. Think they will look to address this and shuffle the bench to have a lock replacement on there.
Beard is a massive unit and that could be a factor. Hendy brings aggression and attrition so it just depends on what Gatland wants.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

jean valjean wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:35 pm I'd start hendo in the row and put maro at 6 with Lawes and beirne on the bench. Aki at 12 with Adams and Williams replacing the 2 Scots. Hogg has been gash and VDM is a poor man's North.

Just watched the highlights on Channel 4, agree with pretty most of that that. Would also have Wyn Jones either starting or as sub, we need to get something like parity at scrums and mauls. I would probably drop Curry and having Conan at flanker and Faletau or Simmonds at number 8, with the other on the bench.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:15 pm
jean valjean wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:35 pm I'd start hendo in the row and put maro at 6 with Lawes and beirne on the bench. Aki at 12 with Adams and Williams replacing the 2 Scots. Hogg has been gash and VDM is a poor man's North.

Just watched the highlights on Channel 4, agree with pretty most of that that. Would also have Wyn Jones either starting or as sub, we need to get something like parity at scrums and mauls. I would probably drop Curry and having Conan at flanker and Faletau or Simmonds at number 8, with the other on the bench.
Isn't Conan an out-and-out 8 though? I've heard that criticism levelled against him in Irish terms i.e. his lack of versatility has prevented him being a viable bench option. I wouldn't expect him in the other back row positions other than as a "break glass in case of emergency" option. Faletau is the versatile one of the bunch but even then, he isn't much of a 7. There's no way Simmonds is coming into the team for the last test. Watson however might come in as he is by far and away the best 7 in the squad.
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Lions third Test team v South Africa: Liam Williams; Josh Adams, Robbie Henshaw, Bundee Aki, Duhan van der Merwe; Dan Biggar, Ali Price; Wyn Jones, Ken Owens, Tadhg Furlong, Maro Itoje, Alun Wyn Jones (c), Courtney Lawes, Tom Curry, Jack Conan.

Replacements: Luke Cowan-Dickie, Mako Vunipola, Kyle Sinckler*, Adam Beard, Sam Simmonds, Conor Murray, Finn Russell, Elliot Daly.

Not enough welsh, we're screwed. Gutted for Hendy
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Hope the Lions get stuffed.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Bigger loss coming up. Jesus wept.

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Faf De Klerk and PSDT out injured for the Springboks.

Springbok team: 15 Willie le Roux, 14 Cheslin Kolbe, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Handré Pollard, 9 Cobus Reinach; 1 Steven Kitshoff, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 3 Frans Malherbe, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 5 Lood de Jager, 6 Siya Kolisi (c), 7 Franco Mostert, 8 Jasper Wiese.

Replacements: 16 Malcolm Marx, 17 Trevor Nyakane, 18 Vincent Koch, 19 Marco van Staden, 20 Kwagga Smith, 21 Herschel Jantjies, 22 Morné Steyn, 23 Damian Willemse
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Sinckler cleared of any charges re biting.