Lions 2021

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Lions 2021

Post by big mervyn »

In Wynn-Jones' absence, he has leadership qualities that are notably lacking in some of the other 2nd row candidates.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

James Ryan has a groin strain but that didn't stop the whinging about his non-selection. Well it did when said whingers were fact checked.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Ita a pity Ryan is injured as it would have been interesting to see gatlands choice. I think he would have gone for beard anyway.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Covid in the boks camp. Entire camp in isolation.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Murray has been living off his reputation for years as folk here well know. Simply can't remember a good performance from him since 2018. How will we ever get rid of him from the Ireland team if he is captain of the Lions?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

A strange choice. It forces Gatland's hand for selection at 9. I haven't seen much of CM as captain before either. It's not something he appears to known for, is it?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Dave wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:27 pm A strange choice. It forces Gatland's hand for selection at 9. I haven't seen much of CM as captain before either. It's not something he appears to known for, is it?
Indeed. Davies must have fancied his chances of starting before that announcement.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:19 pm
Dave wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:27 pm A strange choice. It forces Gatland's hand for selection at 9. I haven't seen much of CM as captain before either. It's not something he appears to known for, is it?
Indeed. Davies must have fancied his chances of starting before that announcement.
So Gats clearly sees Murray as a nailed on starter! The corollary of this is that he doesn’t see Farrell as a nailed on starter (he was, apparently, the players choice as leader) or even Itoje (who was the press choice). Gats certainly is his own man and doesn’t do ‘popularity’!!
Interesting!!
Hope is not a strategy.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Hans Indaruck wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:11 pm
big mervyn wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:19 pm
So Gats clearly sees Murray as a nailed on starter! The corollary of this is that he doesn’t see Farrell as a nailed on starter (he was, apparently, the players choice as leader) or even Itoje (who was the press choice). Gats certainly is his own man and doesn’t do ‘popularity’!!
Interesting!!
Not saying it is the reason, but both Farrell and Itoje can be penalty machines with how they play the game. Murray does seem calm under pressure although he does have minimal captaincy experience.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

If you are going to have a warm up friendly, would you pick Japan? Not sure "friendly" translates into Japanese . So Lions lose their captain and Tipuric.
Silly
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

So Roman Poite " finally admits he got it wrong " in the draw in the final series decider in 2017 with the accidental offside decision against Ken Owens.
?????
But NZ captain Keiran Reid was yards in front of the kicker at the restart and should never have been in a position to compete for the ball with Liam Williams......who arguably was hit in the air.
He was wrong......but should have been a Lions scrum on halfway.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Not every player embraces the English and an English captain strikes a discordant note at times and given Gatland love of all players welsh he had to avoid a Welsh Captain . The only natural Captain second row is Henderson who would not be Gatlands natural first choice at the moment as a starter Gatland likes Henderson on the bench in big games.

Murray is a surprise because Murray's kicking game against Japan was not the best -- he has a tendency to get too much length which could be dangerous given the quality of the SA back 3.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
mea97mb
Squire

Post by mea97mb »

The tour captain and test captain are not necessarily the same thing, in the last tour Gatland did not start tour captain Warburton in the first test and O'Mahony led them in that match.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

mea97mb wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:52 pm The tour captain and test captain are not necessarily the same thing, in the last tour Gatland did not start tour captain Warburton in the first test and O'Mahony led them in that match.
afaik Warburton was injured. Tour captain is usually the test captain.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

He wasn’t 100% and started on the bench.

Murray will clearly play, if available.